All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/16 at 8:15p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Dave Shore out at 105.1

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Charlesjones

Dave Shore out at 105.1

Post by Charlesjones » Tue May 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Det news just posted shore is out as PD....maybe they can bring Matt Dery back to.save the ship.

D.j.m.

Re: Dave Shore out at 105.1

Post by D.j.m. » Tue May 10, 2016 3:02 pm

I admit to not having a clue about things, but this seems like a no-brainer.

You say to Matt Derry "Our bad" and put him with Lindsey Hunter. Simple.

billmich

Post by billmich » Tue May 10, 2016 3:18 pm

clown show, no matter who is in there

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Dery + Hunter....are you nuts??? Dery earned horrible ratings in that day part (and middays) when he was there.

Lindsey Hunter can work as an ensemble player but not as a full fledged co-host. He and Shore were awful together. That show reminded me of "Team 1270" when Richie Rich (the PBS guy) was running it. Terrible radio.

I am inclined to agree with billmich. These dingbats at Greater Media should've went Country years ago, when the format was red hot and YCD was the only game in town.

Radio professionals are horrible business strategists all too often. They are good at selling ads and little else.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 10, 2016 3:35 pm

They need to hire Dan Zampillo or Gregg Henson as PD or someone from one of the successful sports stations in Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

billmich

Post by billmich » Tue May 10, 2016 3:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote: That show reminded me of "Team 1270" when Richie Rich (the PBS guy) was running it. Terrible radio.
you mean this guy?
http://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/boar ... h-homberg/

I have run into him outside the industry before, a colossal ass

FAN

Post by FAN » Tue May 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Why anyone would suggest hiring walking liability Henson as a serious solution is beyond me. The guy was exiled for a reason (read: dozens of reasons).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Dozens of reasons ??? You know that for a fact, or are you pulling that assertion out of a not-so-pleasant place? Milquetoast programming will get 105.1 absolutely nowhere. Over 30 months' worth of ratings have proven that.
MW do you know the ratings of the shows on 105.1, as I've said before I find it really hard to believe that all three shows are getting 0.9 ratings. Dave Shore was a failure at 105.1. He really seemed like he had no idea what to do. I was part of an advisory panel for 105.1 back in January and even then the higher ups weren't sure about him. This really might be 105.1's last shot at sports. They have to get this hire right
I agree completely that Dave Shore was a failure as 105.1 PD. The guy did almost nothing for his first six months on the job here, then in a series of moves he simply rearranged deck chairs, scheduled his existing hosts for longer hours and then hired Drew Sharp (barf) to help fill Drew Lane's shoes. He made no new hires of consequence, with the exception of Sean Baligian. The weekend programming on the station remains complete garbage, the nighttime programming is complete garbage, and Tom Mazeway's presence makes what might otherwise be a tolerable morning show unlistenable. (Fellhauer and Baligian sound OK together; Mazeway is the weak link and needs to be removed.)

All one has to do is listen to Dave Shore's on-air hosting work over the past 30 days to understand why the station sounds so damn boring. The guy has ZERO personality. In his old job, all he basically did was run a station that more-or-less spent the day clearing national ESPN programming. He had no competition in L.A. with massive ratings like he faced in Detroit; sports radio only has a niche audience in La-La land. As a skilled programmer, his credentials were light.

In terms of ratings, Detroit Sports Rag has done a decent job of documenting 105.1's ratings (or lack thereof) recently. I suggest visiting that website for further ratings data. Suffice it to say - the station is underperforming terribly in its core demographic categories. We're talking down around 15th place with MEN. Middays are the only daypart where 105.1 has anything better than abysmal ratings, and even the midday numbers are far from great.

BME

Post by BME » Tue May 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Gregg Henson? No thanks. Bring him in, and we'll have two sports stations that won't talk about sports.

And I can do without Henson's Sparty-bashing (although that won't play as well now as it did circa 1995, eh?).

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue May 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Truthfully, it's Buzz Knight who should be fired. What an unmitigated disaster.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 am

This is one of the biggest messes on the FM dial I've seen in awhile.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 11, 2016 6:28 am

Truthfully, it's Buzz Knight who should be fired. What an unmitigated disaster.
In fairness to him - Greater Media's successful stations far outnumber the unsuccessful ones.

It took 105.3 in Dallas (ironically CBS owned) nearly 10 years (!!!) to consistently earn anything better than awful ratings. I wonder if Greater Media will be *that* patient with 105.1 (I hope not!).

kbg

Post by kbg » Wed May 11, 2016 6:46 am

MWmetalhead wrote:Dozens of reasons ??? You know that for a fact, or are you pulling that assertion out of a not-so-pleasant place? Milquetoast programming will get 105.1 absolutely nowhere. Over 30 months' worth of ratings have proven that.
MW do you know the ratings of the shows on 105.1, as I've said before I find it really hard to believe that all three shows are getting 0.9 ratings. Dave Shore was a failure at 105.1. He really seemed like he had no idea what to do. I was part of an advisory panel for 105.1 back in January and even then the higher ups weren't sure about him. This really might be 105.1's last shot at sports. They have to get this hire right

In terms of ratings, Detroit Sports Rag has done a decent job of documenting 105.1's ratings (or lack thereof) recently. I suggest visiting that website for further ratings data. Suffice it to say - the station is underperforming terribly in its core demographic categories. We're talking down around 15th place with MEN. Middays are the only daypart where 105.1 has anything better than abysmal ratings, and even the midday numbers are far from great.
I don't think the station has broke the top 5 in any male demographic, ever. Pretty sad for a male station. I would speculate this might be the end. Why hire a new PD? Unless GM is willing to put up a million to hire talent and market them, there's no point. They can't get ratings with anything they have now. It would take a complete overhaul.
They got rid of Dery, now the PD. There are few advertisers. A format change may be next. Memorial Day Weekend?

Les Nessman

Post by Les Nessman » Wed May 11, 2016 7:55 am

In April their strongest numbers are middays M25-54. They're 8th. When you add women to the demo, their A25-54 & P18-34 numbers are abysmal. When RIF's morning show is pulling male numbers in the 20's, they can let 105.1 wallow in the gutter. :wink:

"The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side"

-Hunter S. Thompson

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed May 11, 2016 10:17 am

FAN wrote:Why anyone would suggest hiring walking liability Henson as a serious solution is beyond me. The guy was exiled for a reason (read: dozens of reasons).
Usually, I agree with most of your posts, but as with Moss, I have to disagree here. Granted, this isn't the 1990's and 3G would have an uphill battle as opposed to being the only player in the market like in DFN's glory days. I understand that he has proven himself a liability and would HOPE that he would understand to keep his yap shut and not piss off anyone that pulls the strings. But I believe Henson could at least make SOMETHING out of this station. With Henson in the PD chair, it could start some building, and here are a few other things that might help that situation:

1) Branding. It's been almost three years, it's time for the station to rebrand from Detroit Sports, considering a H*** chunk of programming is off the bird. I would have no problem with a "Powered by ESPN" tag, but it's time to look into an alternate branding. Others have posted ideas, but given that Fan and Ticket are taken, and Team was a third trimester abortion, perhaps Sports Animal, Game, or even Score would work. "We are Detroit sports" as a positioner works just fine.

2) Talent. Enough with the retreads and paper guys. There's probably about a handful of jocks out there worth filling airtime with, and Baligian was one of the best choices. Not sure on Dery, and wonder how Regner would play out.

3) LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL. We all know that Detroit is a very provincial sports city. I don't know the story on Mike and Mike; I'm not privvy to that information. If it is indeed the case, perhaps GM could look into some pea shooter AM facility to dump certain programs. If you lose mornings, you lose the battle. The goal in PPM is to ramp up listenership. If the average listener is already tuned to another station for the day, it's hard to regain to listeners.

4) Cross promotion. I don't think it would hurt to drop a promo/commercial here and there (no longer than 15 seconds) into WRIF and WCSX. They are not hurting for listeners, and the goal is to bring as many listeners into GM as possible. I've heard it done with CBS and iHeart stations, I have to believe it would work there.

I still don't even have 105.1 as a preset, because I'm not interested in Mike and Mike (and could catch them on ESPN2 anyway). I'm not interested in the likes of Drew Sharp, and by the time the work day is done, I check in with WWJ to catch up on any news I may have missed while working. Before I know it, I'm home. Most sporting events I watch, and if there's ever a conflict, Wings on TV, Tigers on the radio.

And even if it were to flip, what music format isn't played out, wouldn't cannibalize Riff of CSX, and could actually make the station money? Smooth Jazz? Oldies? Rhythmic AC? None of those are in GM's wheelhouse, variety hits is, but you have to watch CSX, and Country, which the company does well...and at this point, I'd almost root for them to do it, as I'm sure they would hand Nash their asses real quick if they did. Either way, I'm rooting for their success. I hope they can pull it off no matter what they do.

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:33 am

They could go back to AC ( soft rock 105.1 days ) The numbers were better than the current sports format. Or a rhythmic AC station! like 106.7 the beat was.
Either way they should throw in the towel! But that wont happen. They'll keep putting a different shade of lipstick on this pig.

fyi

Post by fyi » Wed May 11, 2016 11:56 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
FAN wrote:Why anyone would suggest hiring walking liability Henson as a serious solution is beyond me. The guy was exiled for a reason (read: dozens of reasons).
I still don't even have 105.1 as a preset, because I'm not interested in Mike and Mike (and could catch them on ESPN2 anyway). I'm not interested in the likes of Drew Sharp, and by the time the work day is done, I check in with WWJ to catch up on any news I may have missed while working. Before I know it, I'm home. Most sporting events I watch, and if there's ever a conflict, Wings on TV, Tigers on the radio.
Drew Sharp's been gone for a couple months and Mike & Mike haven't aired on the station since Sean Baligian's show was moved to 6a-10a in February I think it was... maybe you should give it another listen and refine your opinions... I'd be curious.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Wonderful! Good for them! Keep on keeping on!

kbg

Post by kbg » Thu May 12, 2016 6:21 am

rizzman87 wrote:Supposedly GM has NO intention of switching formats according to Tony Paul and Moss.
How would they know?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 12, 2016 7:32 am

Leaks obviously.

Latest ratings came out a couple days ago - and 105.1's were horrendous, as usual. Even with the Pistons' playoff push, they only managed an embarrassing 0.8 share.

WUOM from Ann Arbor - whose TX site is north of Dexter - and who has a weak signal across the eastern 1/3 of the market - managed a 2.6 share!!!

The presidential contest (and perhaps discussion surrounding the Flint Water Crisis) has clearly helped both WJR and WUOM. WUOM's recent numbers are nearly double normal levels.

If 105.1 were to flip, Rhythmic Hot AC, Variety Hits, and AdCon for Grandma are the three music-based formats available. Don't forget, 105.1's ratings were AWFUL among persons 25-54 in every daypart except middays when the station was spinning music. So, I personally think going back to the "Magic" format & positioning would be a very bad move.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic