Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 2-7-2018 at 8:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating newly registered accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Dave Fuller Returns To Detroit's Airwaves...on 93.1

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
non-anon bob

Dave Fuller Returns To Detroit's Airwaves...on 93.1

Post by non-anon bob » Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Dave Fuller is returning to Detroit's airwaves soon...on GNASH-FM. I wish him well, but I'm NOT, nor will I EVER be, a fan of Country music.
Here's what he posted on his Facebook wall this afternoon:

"Looks like I'm back on your speakers!"
Cumulus Media’s NASH FM 93-1 WDRQ/Detroit welcomes back legendary Detroit talent Dave Fuller to it’s on air line up. Dave has been on the Motor City airwaves for more than 20 years heard on WKQI, WOMC and middays at DRQ from 1999-2003. He started his career in Fort Myers Florida and has also been heard in Seattle, Grand Rapids and Toledo (where he previously worked with Cumulus Detroit OM Mike Wheeler).
“WDRQ is one of the most legendary music stations of all time. I remember being in awe of Dave, Lisa Lisa and reading about the noise they were making in Detroit in the trades” says PD Robby Bridges” It is just a beyond a thrill to welcome Dave home to this radio station where I know his fans will enjoy his special brand of excitement and fun. Simply put, he’s one of the best air talent in America and will be a terrific addition to WDRQ/NASH FM. “
Fuller adds “I’ve worked at some pretty incredible radio stations, but if we are lucky, most air talent have had that one special place where everything came together and magic memories were made. I never thought it’d be possible to come home, but here I am pinching myself and ready to play some country!!”
...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

d'Arsonval

Re: Dave Fuller Returns To Detroit's Airwaves...on 93.1

Post by d'Arsonval » Thu May 05, 2016 6:24 am

What an incredible achievement. Congratulations to Dave.

Dave was a fun person to work with. I'm remembering a shift change segue he suggested while at FOXY 101
in the 1980s where the outgoing jock would talk right up to the top-of-the-hour station ID, and the on-coming
talent would pick up right where the out going jock left off.
And then there was the time we hooked up separate left, and right channel microphones in the studio for physically
panning a voiced stereo effect for the listener. Fun memories.

Congrats to Dave!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:44 am

I think he's ill suited to country though... I do like the guy however.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu May 05, 2016 10:24 am

Hey, now...They have Dave Fuller, they have Lisa Lisa Orlando...let's just go all the way and bring back DRQ. Could be CHR, could be Rhythmic AC a la 106-7 the Beat, either way, it sure would be fun!
Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu May 05, 2016 11:14 am

I really do NOT believe that 93.1 needs to be country.
Image>>RayQix<<Image

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 05, 2016 11:25 am

If it's nothing more than a weekend shift, then there is no need to "congratulate" him. He's probably taking a massive pay cut.

That said, maybe I'm wrong and he's taking over middays or evenings instead???

Interestingly, the press release neglects to mention his short lived stint at WYCD.
Riding Amtrak is dangerous.

Les Nessman

Post by Les Nessman » Thu May 05, 2016 4:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:If it's nothing more than a weekend shift, then there is no need to "congratulate" him. He's probably taking a massive pay cut.

That said, maybe I'm wrong and he's taking over middays or evenings instead???

Interestingly, the press release neglects to mention his short lived stint at WYCD.
I'll congratulate anyone who gets a gig in this market. Finding an on-air gig in Detroit is harder than finding a Republican in the city of Detroit. Dave's a good guy and deserves better, but this could lead to full time. At least he didn't have to move to Florida for a part time gig. :blink
"The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side"

-Hunter S. Thompson

RadioDork1

Post by RadioDork1 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Maybe they are making these hires to flip 96.3 to a classic rap and dance channel. Relax, don't beat me up too bad. Just joking. I did love the old 96.3 Jamz days. Wish there was a station like that here.

Galaxie23

Post by Galaxie23 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Irresponsible speculation: could Cumulus be setting up the ground work to flip Nash back to "DRQ? First Lisa Lisa then Dave, two personalities that traditionally would never end up on a country station....
I am serious, and stop calling me shirley....

Les Nessman

Post by Les Nessman » Fri May 06, 2016 8:32 am

Galaxie23 wrote:Irresponsible speculation: could Cumulus be setting up the ground work to flip Nash back to "DRQ? First Lisa Lisa then Dave, two personalities that traditionally would never end up on a country station....
Interesting thought but I doubt it. More likely they're just picking up experienced talent for the same price as a Specs grad. I think Cumulus has too much invested in the Nash brand to yank it in Detroit.
"The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side"

-Hunter S. Thompson

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic