All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

CBS Radio On the block

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Les Nessman

CBS Radio On the block

Post by Les Nessman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:36 pm

"The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side"

-Hunter S. Thompson

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

CBS Radio likely to be divested within 12 months

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Moonves told investors CBS is exploring strategic alternatives for its entire radio division and intends to complete a transaction within 12 months.

Look for Alpha, Entercom, Hubbard and Beasley to be in acquisition mode if any stations are placed on the market. Wouldn't be completely surprised to see Cumulus scoop up select stations using cash from real estate divestitures. Will Scripps choose to entrench itself more deeply in radio? I could also see Saga vying for stations in select markets if the price is right.

More likely, CBS will simply follow in Gannett's footsteps and do a spin-off, just like Gannett did with its TV stations.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

dm00n

Re: CBS Radio On the block

Post by dm00n » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Crain's is running a headline that the Ticket and WWJ are for sale, but the article just reiterates that CBS will sell or spin off the radio business: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... serAgent=1

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:17 pm

Likely the cluster could be broken apart. No idea how or who but I think Hubbard is the likely one. I think the cluster would probably be broken apart. I think R1 might try for say 98.7 and end there LMA with WGPR, just a theory.

The Constant Browser

Post by The Constant Browser » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:44 pm

Adell has been looking for an FM, would this be his chance at maybe WDZH?

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:47 pm

Some real heritage 50KW stations, the old "Group W - Westinghouse" stations like WBZ, KDKA, KMOX, WWJ, and WCBS.
Link here:
http://radioink.com/2016/03/16/radios-b ... mment-1437

And here's a link to all the CBS stations and 'listen to' links: http://www.cbsradio.com/market

bixpchiphead

Re: CBS Radio likely to be divested within 12 months

Post by bixpchiphead » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Moonves told investors CBS is exploring strategic alternatives for its entire radio division and intends to complete a transaction within 12 months.

Look for Alpha, Entercom, Hubbard and Beasley to be in acquisition mode if any stations are placed on the market. Wouldn't be completely surprised to see Cumulus scoop up select stations using cash from real estate divestitures. Will Scripps choose to entrench itself more deeply in radio? I could also see Saga vying for stations in select markets if the price is right.

More likely, CBS will simply follow in Gannett's footsteps and do a spin-off, just like Gannett did with its TV stations.
And the perfect name for a spinoff... Group W, Westinghouse Broadcasting Company (I believe CBS still holds the copyrights and IP of that name)

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have gone through Hell.

I Wish You Well...

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:58 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:Likely the cluster could be broken apart. No idea how or who but I think Hubbard is the likely one. I think the cluster would probably be broken apart. I think R1 might try for say 98.7 and end there LMA with WGPR, just a theory.
Radio One isn't buying anything. They are just barely able to keep the lights on at the stations they already have. Keep your eye on Hubbard.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

radiodoc

Post by radiodoc » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:01 am

Hubbard sounds like the logical choice. Hubbard owned WTOP 103.5 in DC is a great news station.

With WWJ being the ratings juggernaut it has been, I wonder if a prospective buyer would swap them to FM. I can't get the J in my house or at my office which is irritating. Seems like that would be a no brainier. Not sure why CBS hasn't done that already.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:47 am

radiodoc wrote:Hubbard sounds like the logical choice. Hubbard owned WTOP 103.5 in DC is a great news station.

With WWJ being the ratings juggernaut it has been, I wonder if a prospective buyer would swap them to FM. I can't get the J in my house or at my office which is irritating. Seems like that would be a no brainier. Not sure why CBS hasn't done that already.
I think with the online streaming and 97.1HD2 they have their "better sound for WWJ" instead of taking-out a bigger player on the FM dial like 98.7.

Yes, actually i could see it happening, but FM-talk seems to be a "hey lets try this" and then they end up finding out that it doesn't work, for some reason.

Image>>RayQix<<Image

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:20 pm

The Constant Browser wrote:Adell has been looking for an FM, would this be his chance at maybe WDZH?
He wants WJR, but the experts here have decided he may not have it.

Perhaps someone should tell him what the verdict that has been decided here is.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:29 am

Greater Media should attempt to acquire 190,000-watt WOMC, letting it remain a classic hits station. Greater Media Detroit should also flip 105.1 to a Jazz format.

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:23 pm

bob wrote:Greater Media Detroit should also flip 105.1 to a Jazz format.
Jazz is completely dead.
In the past two years jazz had made up only 1.4% of total music sales. Its sales growth is actually in the negatives. Its the only music genre out of the 11 that Nielsen tracks that is having fewer sales then the pervious year.

And a countless number of stations that carried Jazz or "Smooth Jazz" have dropped the format in the past 10 years or more. Almost the only place you can find it on broadcast radio now is on overnights on some non-comm public stations.
Even Kenny G turned to doing comedy.

So, how is this a good idea???

I also think CBS will more then likely put the radio division into a spinoff. Get it off the CBS Corp. books and make the year-to-year revenue look better to shareholders.

stevebaxley

Post by stevebaxley » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:41 pm

hmm, wonder if the spinoff or sale of CBS RADIO will affect Valenti's contract negotiations ??

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:23 am

This certainly is exciting! I do know this much...if another company or two moves into the market, and I DON'T get more of the same stale formats with the same stale playlists, then I'm going to be on this board EVERY. DAMN. DAY., tossing out my fantasy dial, which isn't based on business acumen, market needs, or strategic planning, but merely what *I* want to hear when I tune in.

Well, I personally can't, since I actually have first-hand knowledge of how radio stations work.

Yet I smile knowingly...these posts are coming...I can see them now:

"If this station group, in existence since my grandparents were kids, running many properties in many cities across the country was smart, they'd listen to me...someone that hasn't even sniffed an air studio, and they would play 7 jazz songs an hour with one commercial and 20 DJ's, half of whom haven't been on the air here since 1989, bring back a station name nobody under 55 would recognize, and play a bunch of unrecognizable songs of (choose format you love but couldn't sell to your own mother, mostly on your ipod), then they are stupid and should ask ME, with my 0 days radio experience, how to successfully run a multi-million dollar concern. Especially when I already write the schedule at Arby's, I pretty much already know how to run a business AND schedule music".

In all seriousness, it would be great to see another owner or two enter the market. CBS has done very well with this market the last few years, so I'll be sad to see them go. I wonder about legacy stations like WWJ & WOMC, and powerhouses like WXYT & WYCD. A market shake-up would make for interesting listening, but I'd hate to see some great things change or go away. I'd have to believe WWJ would at least see an FM simulcast, but if only one, maybe two owners move in, would they want to use up a valuable FM property with an AM simulcast? It's a toss up, but I'm somewhat excited to see what all of this could bring to Detroit.

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:56 am

Plate Cap wrote:
The Constant Browser wrote:Adell has been looking for an FM, would this be his chance at maybe WDZH?
He wants WJR, but the experts here have decided he may not have it.

Perhaps someone should tell him what the verdict that has been decided here is.
Plate Cap, after reviewing what you entered here, I want you to know that you have become one of my new favorite posters. I now feel as though your post and my post go together like Kool-aid and summer.

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:11 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Plate Cap, after reviewing what you entered here, I want you to know that you have become one of my new favorite posters. I now feel as though your post and my post go together like Kool-aid and summer.

I agree, but not everyone can be smart like us! :lol

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:28 am

If he ever got his hands on 760, he'd run it straight into the ground.

Just because one owns/runs a Motel 6 does not mean they can run a Westin.

His AM 910 sounds like a trainwreck. No service elements. Ineffective imaging. Impossible to follow programming schedule. Prediction: it'll be rebroadcasting the Word Network again within 12 months.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:04 pm

Aren't all the big group owners doing badly and ready to sell? It seems there is a glut of properties, which would really bring down prices.

Consolidation has led to stagnation of formats, "good enough" programming, nationalization of playlists, large blocks of syndicated programming, etc.

Since almost all stations in larger and medium markets are owned in large groups, group ownership no longer constitutes a competitive advantage.

It's probably time to encourage spinning off properties to smaller owners who care about smaller markets from #11 on down.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:13 pm

CBS Radio is a different animal. It has top rated stations in most markets. Closest competitors is iHeart it has the top rated AM stations in most markets with All-News format. The management team maybe excluding Andre Fernandez is the best in the business.

CBS is totally different than Cumulus and iHeart. In my opinion the bottom market stations would be easy to sell. The big market stations a different story. My opinion an investment banker who really owns Cumulus and iHeart but not them will step in and buy what is the best. An aside Cumulus doesn’t have many winning stations. Strong cash flow, no debt and top rated stations. A real catch.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic