All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

2016 Radio Predictions

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
kbg

Re: 2016 Radio Predictions

Post by kbg » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:My personal view is they need multiple big names.

Drew Lane was a big name. He co-hosted the #1 morning show in the market for many years. What did he bring to 105.1? OK ratings in one daypart only.

If they bring Valenti on board & leave everything else the same, instead of a radio station that pulls 1.0 or 1.2 share of the week, we'd probably be looking at a radio station that pulls a 1.6 or 1.8 share for the week.

Valenti undoubtedly would be a much better fit for the station than Lane, but I still have trouble picturing many Valenti listeners sitting through two hours of Mike & Mike the following morning or listening to the occasionally insufferable Ryan Ermanni. Then, there's the issue of weekend programming. 105.1 doesn't even try on the weekend right now, and their ratings reflect that fact.

Even if 97.1 were to lose Valenti, it'd be far from a fatal blow. They'd simply move Mike Stone from mornings to PM drive. Problem solved. 97.1's ratings in afternoon drive under such a scenario wouldn't be quite as high as they are now (simply because the competition from 105.1 would be formidable), but they'd likely remain very impressive nonetheless.

The best way to hurt 97.1 (now that the Tigers and Wings are out of play) would be to snag both gentlemen named "Mike" and then eliminate as much of the ESPN programming as possible in favor of local programming.

Drew Lane was on his way down at WRIF. He had been there over 20 years and was appealing to an older male and not bringing in younger. 105.1 needed a local name when they launched and he was the most available that made sense at the time. Whereas Valenti is at the top of his game right now.

I don't know why you would think Valenti's audience would or wouldn't "sit though" Mike and Mike and Ermanni. They don't "sit through" the morning show now at the Ticket. That's WXYT's lowest rated daypart. 105 would gain some exposure for those shows but people would listen to Valenti as they do now and probably ignore the rest of the station if they have no interest. Just like they listen to the Ticket currently.

Moving the lower rated Mike Stone to afternoons doesn't replace Valenti. Valenti's audience would follow. Harper to MGC type follow.

CBS doesn't have the deep pockets anymore. Dan Mason would have paid. The new guy won't. That's why CBS doesn't have the Lions. I'm not sure why people don't see that and only believe what is quoted by the CBS market manager in the paper.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:44 pm

I don't know why you would think Valenti's audience would or wouldn't "sit though" Mike and Mike and Ermanni. They don't "sit through" the morning show now at the Ticket. That's WXYT's lowest rated daypart.
It might be the station's lowest rated daypart (I'll take your word for it), but I suspect the ratings are quite strong nonetheless.
105 would gain some exposure for those shows but people would listen to Valenti as they do now and probably ignore the rest of the station if they have no interest. Just like they listen to the Ticket currently.
I agree with you. This is why the station needs to do more than just bring Valenti on board.
Moving the lower rated Mike Stone to afternoons doesn't replace Valenti. Valenti's audience would follow. Harper to MGC type follow.
Mike Stone is "lower rated" in large part because he's stuck doing mornings with that man purse carrying assbag, Bill McAllister. Plus, there are more stations in the market doing personality radio in morning drive than there are in afternoon drive.

I think Stoney - if he has a good partner - would be capable of defeating Valenti in PM drive. That being said, unquestionably Valenti would bring much improved ratings to 105.1 in that daypart and would likely be very competitive with his old station.
CBS doesn't have the deep pockets anymore. Dan Mason would have paid. The new guy won't. That's why CBS doesn't have the Lions. I'm not sure why people don't see that and only believe what is quoted by the CBS market manager in the paper.
It's somewhat unfair of you to keep mentioning the Lions without also mentioning the Tigers & Wings. CBS is still going to spend money where it makes sense, and as I said previously, if they get into a bidding war with Greater Media, I'm sure CBS can find deadweight to cut in order to offer Mr. Valenti more money. May I suggest Bill McAllister as a sacrificial lamb? :horns

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Amp Radio is done! Flips to Rock with the Wheels format coming back. Hearing that from Multiple sources within the building.

kbg

Post by kbg » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:22 pm

BigGuy wrote:Amp Radio is done! Flips to Rock with the Wheels format coming back. Hearing that from Multiple sources within the building.
What are they going to play? Active rock with an 80's throwback name like "Wheels" that the market rockers over 35 will remember? Classic Rock with Wheels and go against the D? They are holding their own as AMP. why would they do that with a new morning show just hired and have to pump money into promoting a new format?
Last edited by kbg on Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kbg

Post by kbg » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
I don't know why you would think Valenti's audience would or wouldn't "sit though" Mike and Mike and Ermanni. They don't "sit through" the morning show now at the Ticket. That's WXYT's lowest rated daypart.
It might be the station's lowest rated daypart (I'll take your word for it), but I suspect the ratings are quite strong nonetheless.
105 would gain some exposure for those shows but people would listen to Valenti as they do now and probably ignore the rest of the station if they have no interest. Just like they listen to the Ticket currently.
I agree with you. This is why the station needs to do more than just bring Valenti on board.
Mike Stone is "lower rated" in large part because he's stuck doing mornings with that man purse carrying assbag, Bill McAllister. Plus, there are more stations in the market doing personality radio in morning drive than there are in afternoon drive.

I think Stoney - if he has a good partner - would be capable of defeating Valenti in PM drive. That being said, unquestionably Valenti would bring much improved ratings to 105.1 in that daypart and would likely be very competitive with his old station.
It's somewhat unfair of you to keep mentioning the Lions without also mentioning the Tigers & Wings. CBS is still going to spend money where it makes sense, and as I said previously, if they get into a bidding war with Greater Media, I'm sure CBS can find deadweight to cut in order to offer Mr. Valenti more money. May I suggest Bill McAllister as a sacrificial lamb? :horns
You're right. CBS will fight. They did and retained the Tigers/Wings. They let the Lions go because it didn't make financial sense.
I still think GM has a lot to gain by offering Valenti a ton to hire him. They get a sizable ratings and revenue increase plus WRIF revenue too. Two stations gain a few million a year with the add on of one talent.

As for Bill, I agree. He is the reason mornings are they're the lowest rated. But their lowest rated still beats 105 hands down.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:51 pm

BigGuy wrote:Amp Radio is done! Flips to Rock with the Wheels format coming back. Hearing that from Multiple sources within the building.
I think I just wet my pants................ :D

Dave Rexroth: Detroit's NEW #1 for the Most Accurate Weather

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:03 pm

For anyone who believes BigGuy's post, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

If you are going to post a false rumor, at least make it believable.

Classic Rock is already well represented here, Alt Rock (which really isn't rock music at all anymore) doesn't work here, and going head-to-head with WRIF as a hard/active rock outlet without a strong jock line-up would be suicide.

CBS in recent years has killed off Rock and Alt outlets in New York, Philly, Boston, Cleveland, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, West Palm Beach, Baltimore, Buffalo, San Antonio and probably some other places I'm forgetting.

The only remaining rock stations within the company have all been around for 20+ years, and most of those are Alt or AAA stations. Cleveland's WNCX is a noteworthy exception.

They've not launched any new rock outlets in close to a decade, unless one counts the unsuccessful resurrections of K-Rock in NYC and WYSP in Philly (both of which turned out to be epic failures, especially the former).

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

stevebaxley

Post by stevebaxley » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Some of my detroit radio predictions:
1) Mike Valenti will remain with 97.1 the ticket, CBS Radio is very much ready to bring out the brinks truck to make sure of that.

2) With the Plagiarism controversy of drew sharp becoming a big albatross around 105.1's neck, I see Drew Sharp as a albatross that 105.1 has no choice but to release, also I predict if ratings dont improve, Its over for 'Detroit Sports 105.1' in 6 months.

3) The addition of the Detroit Lions to WJR AM, may help a little bit ratings wise, but in the long term look for the lions to simulcast with NASH FM to bring in more listeners.

4)CKWW will say good bye to oldies and join its bell media sister stations to become TSN RADIO 580

stevebaxley

Post by stevebaxley » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Some of my detroit radio predictions:
1) Mike Valenti will remain with 97.1 the ticket, CBS Radio is very much ready to bring out the brinks truck to make sure of that.

2) With the Plagiarism controversy of drew sharp becoming a big albatross around 105.1's neck, I see Drew Sharp as a albatross that 105.1 has no choice but to release, also I predict if ratings dont improve, Its over for 'Detroit Sports 105.1' in 6 months.

3) The addition of the Detroit Lions to WJR AM, may help a little bit ratings wise, but in the long term look for the lions to simulcast with NASH FM to bring in more listeners.

4)CKWW will say good bye to oldies and join its bell media sister stations to become TSN RADIO 580

riggs

Post by riggs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:54 am

brianp48093 wrote:Honestly, if I was Mike, I'd stay at 97.1 unless 105 offered an insane amount of $$ and perks. #1 97.1 kept him over the Lions, that right there shows the station has his back (which frankly, surprised the shit out of me) #2 His show is top in the ratings. Why leave and then have to rebuild yourself? #3 97.1 is in the top of the ratings. Everything seems to be going smooth, life is good. Now look at 105.1...it's a train wreck. One guy can't save the station, and even if he could, why would he want to? All the extra stress and bullshit to deal with? No thank you.

The whole thing with the Lions was way way more than just Valenti. It's a constant barrage from Bill Keenist and staff to control EVERYTHING, all the time. And you know what? It might not have been about Valenti at all. I have heard that the station really didn't benefit financially from having the Lions and the Lions new deal would have meant the station would have merely broke even and they decided all the constant (and I mean CONSTANT) hassle with them wasn't worth it. There are a few media friends of mine that openly HATE the Detroit Lions - not because they are losers, but because of the way they've been treated by the team in the past.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

Les Nessman

Post by Les Nessman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:21 am

The whole thing with the Lions was way way more than just Valenti. It's a constant barrage from Bill Keenist and staff to control EVERYTHING, all the time. And you know what? It might not have been about Valenti at all. I have heard that the station really didn't benefit financially from having the Lions and the Lions new deal would have meant the station would have merely broke even and they decided all the constant (and I mean CONSTANT) hassle with them wasn't worth it. There are a few media friends of mine that openly HATE the Detroit Lions - not because they are losers, but because of the way they've been treated by the team in the past.
Nailed it. I know someone who worked for Lions are a number of years until he finally got sick of the meddling. To Lions management control is more important than winning on the field.

"The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side"

-Hunter S. Thompson

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic