All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/25 at 4:40p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Lions to WJR in 2016

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stevebaxley

Re: Lions to WJR in 2016

Post by stevebaxley » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:28 pm

good points

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:02 am

MWmetalhead wrote: BTW, the median listener age for WJR is north of 60.
Which just might be where advertisers should be spending their money. Baby Boomers represent close to 80 million U.S. consumers and hold 70% of the U.S. disposable income.
Consumers ages 47 – 66 (Baby Boomers) Facts:

Dominate 119 out of 123 CPG categories
40% of customers paying for wireless service
41% own Apple computers
53% are on Facebook
40% most likely to use an iPhone
Over age 50 spend $7 billion online annually
Purchase 62.5% of new cars
Purchase 80% of luxury travel
70% show up to vote in elections
Boomers spend more money each month on technology than Gen X or Gen Y – an average of $650 per month
Spend most on health care
Spend most on pharmaceuticals
One in 7 boomers care for a parent or family member
71% of Boomers go online every day
66% of Boomers send text messages
Claiming WJR is a bad move for the Lions is ridiculous.

~The people that predicted new technology would make us a paperless society evidently never tried to wipe their butt with an iPhone"~

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Looks like Art Regner is doing the Michigan-Ohio State post game show on 105.1 I wonder if this is a one time thing or if they will put him on more.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:21 pm

stevebaxley wrote:HOWEVER!!! here is the fly in that 5 year 'marriage' ,WJRs owners Cumulus Media are soveryclose to hitting the BANKRUPTCY button, that they began to unload some properties [like selling Rdio to Pandora]. So the question has to be asked, why did the Lions sign with a station who has a very unstable ownership who can itself be ready to dump stations at any moment or be gobbled up by a private equity group ???
Cumulus never owned Rdio directly. They only bought a minority ownership stake in Rdio (which even then was rapidly losing relevance in the marketplace to Pandora and Spotify) under the assumption that Cumulus would be buying it out in a few years. IIRC, it was only at 20%. Maybe less.

But the Dickeys being the Dickeys, their ADHD got the better of them and they never found a way to integrate Rdio into the overall corporate structure. As soon as the Dickeys were forced out, Cumulus wrote down their entire investment, and Rdio's founders/owners sold their company off to Pandora. In no way did Cumulus net anything from that sale, in fact, it was the worst possible scenario.

I am fairly certain that a PE firm will not take over Cumulus once it hits bankruptcy. Bain Capital has been saddled with what is now iHeart for well over a decade, and there are no signs that they will ever be able to shed themselves of the company. If the current investors want to net anything, it will happen through fire sale transactions.

The Lions deal will not be directly affected by any of this.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:46 am

If Mitt Romney was still at Bain, I wonder if they would got involved in Clear Channel the way they are now?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Les Nessman

Post by Les Nessman » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:08 am

Bryce wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote: BTW, the median listener age for WJR is north of 60.
Which just might be where advertisers should be spending their money. Baby Boomers represent close to 80 million U.S. consumers and hold 70% of the U.S. disposable income.
Consumers ages 47 – 66 (Baby Boomers) Facts:

Dominate 119 out of 123 CPG categories
40% of customers paying for wireless service
41% own Apple computers
53% are on Facebook
40% most likely to use an iPhone
Over age 50 spend $7 billion online annually
Purchase 62.5% of new cars
Purchase 80% of luxury travel
70% show up to vote in elections
Boomers spend more money each month on technology than Gen X or Gen Y – an average of $650 per month
Spend most on health care
Spend most on pharmaceuticals
One in 7 boomers care for a parent or family member
71% of Boomers go online every day
66% of Boomers send text messages
That's all well and good, but the money demos are 18-34 and 25-54. Despite all the facts and figures, the upper demos are largely ignored by many advertisers. Add to that Cumulus' digital footprint is minimal at best. Doesn't much matter either way, the Lions didn't base this decision on anything other than wanting to control the message no matter how good or bad the team performs.

"The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side"

-Hunter S. Thompson

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:19 am

Les Nessman wrote: Doesn't much matter either way, the Lions didn't base this decision on anything other than wanting to control the message no matter how good or bad the team performs.
That is certainly the mantra Mike Valenti and his agent who would have us believe, that if only the station fired him
the Lions would have stayed. But its not like "the message" was positive from everybody but Valenti. So firing Valenti was NOT going to "control the message" it was just going to get rid of an asshole. And moving to WJR didn't control the message it just made it louder.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Oh, the Redskins are definitely the worst!!!

The 'Skins also treat their season ticket holders like piles of dog shit. How anyone can support that organization is beyond me.
Heck, the Redskins own their radio flagships!!! WTEM "ESPN 980" and WSPZ "SportsTalk 570, Powered by ESPN" have been directly under Dan Snyder's control via his "Red Zebra Broadcasting" venture for the past nine years.

They control the content in a way that the Lions can only dream of.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Editorcj wrote:The media is typically not allowed at practice except for some very controlled exhibitions.
Media are allowed into practice for about 20 minutes during individual drills. But Valenti needs to show his face in the locker room after practice so the players he likes to call names such as "garbage" can have a chance to respond. He owes them that. Instead, he's a gutless hit-and-run artist.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Andy Sipowicz wrote:
Editorcj wrote:The media is typically not allowed at practice except for some very controlled exhibitions.
Media are allowed into practice for about 20 minutes during individual drills. But Valenti needs to show his face in the locker room after practice so the players he likes to call names such as "garbage" can have a chance to respond. He owes them that. Instead, he's a gutless hit-and-run artist.
Don't care for Valenti but if a player is garbage, what difference does it make if he shows up in the locker room and what kind of response are they going to give. Orlovsky for example is garbage, not sure what kind of response he's going to give nor does anyone care.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:03 pm

wtfdetroit wrote: Don't care for Valenti but if a player is garbage, what difference does it make if he shows up in the locker room and what kind of response are they going to give.
except the term "garbage" is very subjective. Guys like Valenti don't see any middle ground, only all star and garbage.
The "problem" with guys like Valenti in my opinion is no accountability. His bosses only care that he makes them money and doesn't get in trouble with the FCC.
I just don't get why being mean spirited is so appealing to listeners but it is what it is.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:28 pm

craig11152 wrote:
wtfdetroit wrote: Don't care for Valenti but if a player is garbage, what difference does it make if he shows up in the locker room and what kind of response are they going to give.
except the term "garbage" is very subjective. Guys like Valenti don't see any middle ground, only all star and garbage.
The "problem" with guys like Valenti in my opinion is no accountability. His bosses only care that he makes them money and doesn't get in trouble with the FCC.
I just don't get why being mean spirited is so appealing to listeners but it is what it is.
So who exactly does one need to be accountable to? Seems like the station, sponsors and FCC are about as real as it gets as far as who he needs to answer to. Perhaps we go back to the old days where a self appointed community standards board is conveined? Maybe the Lions brain-trust? (but if that were the case no divergent opinion would be acceptable)

If we want to go all high minded, yea, you're accountable to the audience but if the numbers don't lie, that vote has already been registered.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:52 am

You clearly have not listened to him on a regular basis, Craig. This statement by you is simply untrue.

Why do some of you guys feel these athletes need to be coddled? Jesus Christ, they make MILLIONS for playing a damn GAME. Do you think their opponents on the field exchange nothing but pleasantries?

"Oh, poor _____. Mike Valenti said such mean things about him on the radio today!" :rolleyes

Ever read some of these guys' twitter feeds?

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
You clearly have not listened to him on a regular basis, Craig. This statement by you is simply untrue.
Not on a regular basis if we are talking "over the years" but I have listened to 90% of his show 5 days a week for the last 3-4 weeks. I think that is a pretty decent sample.
MWmetalhead wrote: Why do some of you guys feel these athletes need to be coddled? Jesus Christ, they make MILLIONS for playing a damn GAME. Do you think their opponents on the field exchange nothing but pleasantries?
I don't think they should be coddled. NOTHING I said should construe that except by people like Valenti. Mean spirited people who can't figure out how to be critical and civil at the same time. Numerous other talking heads on 97.1 and 105.1 are equally critical without carrying it to a mean spirited nature. Its actually possible to be critical without being angry too. There are several people in here, like Valenti, who can't disagree without getting condescending at the same time.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:38 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote: So who exactly does one need to be accountable to? Seems like the station, sponsors and FCC are about as real as it gets as far as who he needs to answer to. Perhaps we go back to the old days where a self appointed community standards board is conveined? Maybe the Lions brain-trust? (but if that were the case no divergent opinion would be acceptable)

If we want to go all high minded, yea, you're accountable to the audience but if the numbers don't lie, that vote has already been registered.
I acknowledge that all that matters is his bosses.
As to accountability I have a personal example. the Tuesday after the UofM MSU game I sent a ticket text answering a question about how Michigan fans felt about the loss. Valenti actually read my text on the air BUT he added a sentence I didn't write that changed the context then called me a liar based on the sentence I didn't write. Granted I was anonymous so he didn't call me a liar "to my face" but what he did was change my words. If he did it to me I imagine he has done it to others. That sort of accountability is what I am talking about.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:01 am

Valenti actually read my text on the air BUT he added a sentence I didn't write that changed the context then called me a liar based on the sentence I didn't write. Granted I was anonymous so he didn't call me a liar "to my face" but what he did was change my words. If he did it to me I imagine he has done it to others. That sort of accountability is what I am talking about.
Are you certain it was your text that he read?

Assuming you are correct, I can certainly understand now why you don't like the guy.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:26 pm

I agree with you, Bryce.

Even folks who don't listen to WJR regularly are highly aware of the station's existence. Most folks over 40 know that it was the longtime home of the Wolverines, Tigers and Red Wings. It also has an outstanding regional signal...far better than WWJ's signal.

Heck, I still remember when the Lions' only radio outlet in the Motor City was flimsy 1270. When the Tigers played in the World Series in 2006, the only place to hear their radio broadcasts in Detroit was that awful 1270 signal. I also remember WDFN's transmitter crapping out when the Pistons were playing San Antonio in the 2005 NBA finals. So, the Lions could've definitely done much, much worse.

From WJR's standpoint, it's a good deal because it will bring fresh ears to 760.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:04 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Lester The Nightfly wrote: So who exactly does one need to be accountable to? Seems like the station, sponsors and FCC are about as real as it gets as far as who he needs to answer to. Perhaps we go back to the old days where a self appointed community standards board is conveined? Maybe the Lions brain-trust? (but if that were the case no divergent opinion would be acceptable)

I acknowledge that all that matters is his bosses.
As to accountability I have a personal example. the Tuesday after the UofM MSU game I sent a ticket text answering a question about how Michigan fans felt about the loss. Valenti actually read my text on the air BUT he added a sentence I didn't write that changed the context then called me a liar based on the sentence I didn't write. Granted I was anonymous so he didn't call me a liar "to my face" but what he did was change my words. If he did it to me I imagine he has done it to others. That sort of accountability is what I am talking about.
So you're butt hurt that a radio talk show took editorial license with an anonymous, unsolicted text you offered?
Is this the first time you've ever delt with the media???????
As soon as the Library of Congress does a sports talk show I'll be right with you registering your beef, but keep in mind 90% of the calls, emails and texts to the average sports talk program are bat$hit crazy and make the stuff here on our beloved Buzzboard appear like Shakespere. If they didn't use some editoral descretion they might as well just run a 1000 hz test tone from sign-on to sign-off.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Why not 440 Hz? :blink

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:So you're butt hurt that a radio talk show took editorial license with an anonymous, unsolicted text you offered?
No not butt hurt just an example of accountability I feel is lacking. And it wasn't "unsolicited", they give out the phone number and text number every few minutes all day long inviting people to call or text. In this case there was a specific theme that was presented with a direct request for listener feed back to that theme. How do you see that as "unsolicited"?
Lester The Nightfly wrote:Is this the first time you've ever delt with the media???????
no not my first time. I've had maybe 8-10 texts read over the past few years that I am aware of. All of them were read verbatim other than that one which also happened to be the only one read by Valenti.

Lester The Nightfly wrote: If they didn't use some editoral descretion they might as well just run a 1000 hz test tone from sign-on to sign-off.
If I texted "I love Tuesday's" and somebody took that and read "I love Tuesdays but I hate Fridays" and then rhetorically asked "what kind of moron hates Friday's?" how exactly is that "editorial discretion"?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic