All new acct registrations in the queue as of 7/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Channel 4's primetime infomercials???

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JackAttack FM

Channel 4's primetime infomercials???

Post by JackAttack FM » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:21 pm

I'm really not sure if its a PSA or an infomercial but, 8pm Monday and channel 4 is pre-empting first-run network programming for what looks like a 20 year-old produced infomercial with Roma Downey and third-world kids with cleft lips?

I know its summer programming but, is that really gonna make more money then a first run Bear Grylls episode???

This must be one heluva make-good?!?

chromacolor2

Re: Channel 4's primetime infomercials???

Post by chromacolor2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:06 am

I saw that yesterday myself. It made me realize how rarely I watch the "network" channels. I watch Movies!, th!s. MeTV, etc. but I probably haven't watched 2.1, 4.1, 7.1 for more than 5 minutes in months. That's why I noticed the infomercial.

I don't think I'm alone. I hope they realize how irrelevant they've become. It's pretty bad when I'd rather watch a 30 y/o Carson episode vs. something the networks spent a million bucks to produce.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Shoehorning in required FCC public service is what comes to mind

thekman

Post by thekman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:36 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:06 am
I saw that yesterday myself. It made me realize how rarely I watch the "network" channels. I watch Movies!, th!s. MeTV, etc. but I probably haven't watched 2.1, 4.1, 7.1 for more than 5 minutes in months. That's why I noticed the infomercial.

I don't think I'm alone. I hope they realize how irrelevant they've become. It's pretty bad when I'd rather watch a 30 y/o Carson episode vs. something the networks spent a million bucks to produce.
You too?!

I’m in my 30’s, and I watch Johnny Carson repeats most every night. He’s so much better than these retreads that have late-night shows now. I also enjoy Password Plus repeats on BUZZR Channel.

I just wish BUZZR and Antenna TV had more of a catalog of episodes. I see many of the same episodes over and over.

windsor

Post by windsor » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:19 pm

chromacolor2 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:06 am

Funny you say that about the reruns of Carson,bc I do the same, rather see old Johnny then the other late night Trump bashing going on.And btw Im no yuge fan of the Donald but enough is enough.

I also watch more subchannels then the networks too.Been watching more old sci fi on Comet 19.7 and the 30's movies on 14.7, some are pretty interesting sometimes.Looking forward to getting GetTV back to watch Merv again and some of the old variety shows and Charge! should be added soon all action movies.Would like to see someone add a weather channel for the metro area and wx map.

The diginets allow some of us to escape this insanity going on a daily basis. :barf

Dave Rexroth: Detroit's NEW #1 for the Most Accurate Weather

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:50 pm

When there is no sports to play on the weekends all the network channels fill with the slots with infomercials, which is why the sub-channels are so nice. I only watch a handful of shows in primetime, otherwise I am watching something on Comet, MeTV, Movies, or This.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:04 pm

For those who are interested, The Running Wild With Bear Gryllis episode, (with Scott Eastwood) is available On Demand. (However by the tone of the previous posts I don't think too many people are.)

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:17 pm

szmigiel wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:50 pm
When there is no sports to play on the weekends all the network channels fill with the slots with infomercials, which is why the sub-channels are so nice.
Once upon a time, there used to be movies, old reruns, public affairs or documentaries on weekends when there's no sports. Now when the networks have nothing, they simply cheap out and use it for infomercials.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:50 pm

windsor wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:19 pm
Funny you say that about the reruns of Carson,bc I do the same, rather see old Johnny then the other late night Trump bashing going on.And btw Im no yuge fan of the Donald but enough is enough.
If you pay attention to Carson's monologues, in almost every show there is a jab at the current President or his cronies, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2. Johnny's political humor was as edgy and frequent as anything being done now.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 pm

[
If you pay attention to Carson's monologues, in almost every show there is a jab at the current President or his cronies, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2. Johnny's political humor was as edgy and frequent as anything being done now.
[/quote]

Not to be a smart ass, but Clinton and Bush 2 began their term of office in 1993 and 2001 Respectively. Carson's last show was in 1992. (However, Carson could have been making fun of Canidate Bill Clinton.)

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:25 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Not to be a smart ass, but Clinton and Bush 2 began their term of office in 1993 and 2001 Respectively. Carson's last show was in 1992. (However, Carson could have been making fun of Canidate Bill Clinton.)
I was watching an episode from 1992, and Johnny was doing jokes about Bill and Hillary Clinton as then Governor Clinton was running for the Democrat nomination. Johnny then also did a Donald Trump joke in the same episode, as the Donald has been a fixture of monologue jokes since the 1980’s.

It kind of blew my mind that there I was, trying to escape news of the election, decided to watch Carson, and what do I hear but Clinton and Trump jokes.

chromacolor2

Post by chromacolor2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:39 pm

thekman wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:25 pm
sfpcc wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 pm

I was watching an episode from 1992, and Johnny was doing jokes about Bill and Hillary Clinton as then Governor Clinton was running for the Democrat nomination. Johnny then also did a Donald Trump joke in the same episode, as the Donald has been a fixture of monologue jokes since the 1980’s.

It kind of blew my mind that there I was, trying to escape news of the election, decided to watch Carson, and what do I hear but Clinton and Trump jokes.
I must have seen that same episode and had the same thought.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic