Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Then, there's this.....

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
NS8401

Re: Then, there's this.....

Post by NS8401 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:56 am

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:17 am
Circle Seven wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 pm
The cops got shot at 8:20. Karen Drew interrupted The Voice at 8:40 with a live shot on the scene. WDIV stayed live without interruption at the scene until about 9:20, then went back to The Voice. A few minutes after 9, I did a quick look at 2 and 7. Both were showing regular programming without any ticker tape or other indications of the shooting.
Thanks for the correction. I wasn't maintaining a channel surfing vigil over this so didn't catch the WDIV coverage. I'm sure "Voice" fans also felt a short interruption and a crawl would have sufficed, given the dearth of actual information to be had and conveyed while this was going on.
Reminds me of the bit from Airplane! Where the reporters learn the plane is out of control and run to the phone booths at once with the headline and the booths all fall over in unison... over eager folks...

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:48 pm

I just heard this tease on WWJ- "Coming up, how many Britainers are coming to the United States?" :roll:

jry

Post by jry » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:04 pm

This is kind of small, but gee whiz, doing the news should be about accuracy.

WDIV-6AM hour. They reported on that LeJoice clown that embezzled from an Oakland County Credit Union. We KNOW that it was the Clarkston Brandon Community Credit Union. According to the graphic and script, WDIV says that it was The Michigan Credit Union.
I'd almost give it to them because the Michigan State University Credit Union had to take the failing institution over, BUT there is a difference between State and Michigan. Besides, does U of M even own a Credit Union?

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:07 pm

jry wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:04 pm

WDIV-6AM hour. They reported on that LeJoice clown that embezzled from an Oakland County Credit Union. We KNOW that it was the Clarkston Brandon Community Credit Union. According to the graphic and script, WDIV says that it was The Michigan Credit Union.
I'd almost give it to them because the Michigan State University Credit Union had to take the failing institution over, BUT there is a difference between State and Michigan. Besides, does U of M even own a Credit Union?
Yes... University of Michigan Credit Union to be precise...

jry

Post by jry » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:26 pm

[quote=NS8401 post_id=551485 time=1490648851 user_id=8570]
[quote=jry post_id=551479 time=1490637863 user_id=98]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey, thanks. Man, you think that they'd offer an account to members of the Alum Assoc!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:31 pm

jry wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:26 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:07 pm
jry wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Hey, thanks. Man, you think that they'd offer an account to members of the Alum Assoc!
You'd think they'd offer automatically but maybe they do have some deals?

jry

Post by jry » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Div, Div, Div..... When you quote someone, you have to get it right. This morning during the 6, they had a Chyron about the Gold Star Wife from Michigan that was going to meet with Pence. In the interview, she said that she was going to thank the VP for meeting with and listening to their stories. HOWEVER, in the Chyron, it said that she was going to TELL Pence to listen to the women. There is a big difference and on the surface, it looks like they have a certain bias.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 am

Classical WRCJ 90.9 runs a morning newscast, provided by one of the external traffic/news services. This morning (Wednesday 4/4) at 7am they inadvertently ran Tuesday's newscast. I knew something was wrong when the reporter, Tony Bruschato (sp?) said that the Tigers opener had been rained out and the Wings won in a 5-4 shootout, both of which happened on Monday evening.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:58 am

Following the April 3rd 6pm circle 7 newscast issues described in a different thread the April 6th 4:30am circle 7 newscast started off probably even worse. Not being in the business I may not have some of the terminology right. I think the ticker at the bottom is the chyron from reading other posts and I don't know the proper terminology for the green backdrop color that the director's chair appears in the 4:30am description:

4:30 - Newscast begins with a frozen image of the newsroom (persons at their desks aren't moving) while the audio and chyron are okay. In the middle of the shot is a director's chair which is all green backdrop color.

4:30 - Three second drop in audio while Alicia was speaking while still in the frozen image.

4:33 - Screen went black except for the chyron which kept running as well as loss of audio. This lasted about 49 seconds until it went to full black for about 13 seconds until they went to commercials.

4:35 - Cut away from the middle of a Motor City Carpet commercial back to the frozen image from 4:30 including the green director's chair image. Malcom was in the middle reading a story and then after 14 seconds it went back to the Motor City Carpet commercial.

4:36 - Return from commercials with black screen and no audio but the chyron was working which lasted about 58 seconds until it went to full black for about 13 seconds until it cut to the middle of a Four Seasons Kanga Roof commercial.

4:39 - Again they returned from commercials with black screen and no audio but the chyron was working for about 23 seconds until going back to the middle of a Culligan commercial.

4:42 - Return from commercials with what appeared to be a frozen image of a Weingartz commercial and the working chyron, briefly went to black with the chryon, back to the frozen Weingartz shot without chryon for 12 seconds until going to full black for 22 seconds followed by commercials.

4:43 - They went back to the ABC News feed for two minutes.

4:45 - Finally things are back to normal for the circle 7 newscast. There is no mention of the issues and no sign of frustration from the news crew.

jry

Post by jry » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:40 pm

From your description, i'd say that the feed from the studio dropped. If i have this right, the Chyron (and probably closed caption) is the last thing that is added to the video presentation before it hits the transmitter.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:12 am

Wrapping up the NBC Nightly on Thursday, Lester Holt showed new Hubble photos of Jupiter, mentioning that Jupiter now is at opposition, and at its closest point to earth, 415 miles away.. That's pretty close.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 pm

15 minutes ago, wrapping up WJBK's pregame show right before it cut to the simulcast of Fox Sports Detroit's own pregame, following the last commercial break the only audio played over a static screen showing the Tigers' opening day lineup was low in volume and was just banter between technical crews (I could audibly hear one of them saying "oh my gosh").
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

jry

Post by jry » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:20 pm

[quote=SolarMax post_id=552197 time=1491570735 user_id=155]
Wrapping up the NBC Nightly on Thursday, Lester Holt showed new Hubble photos of Jupiter, mentioning that Jupiter now is at opposition, and at its closest point to earth, [i]415 miles away.[/i]. That's pretty close.
[/quote]

This made me laugh...

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:00 am

Another "Circle 7 Problem" cropped up last night, as there was nothing at all during the usual affiliate logo appearances that take place around a minute after ABC commercial breaks end. However, the TOH IDs and local commercial insertions still worked normally.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 pm

The Now Circle 7 didn't get off to a good start today...

4:00 Program starts.

4:00 A sudden cut to a split-screen with the top 1/3 at the bottom and bottom third at the top with black bar dividing them. The headline part of the L3 gets cut off.

4:01 Radar map pops up as severe thunderstorms approach the Detroit market.

4:01 Screen turns back to normal.

4:03 Screen goes black for several seconds as Vogel tracks approaching severe thunderstorms.

4:07 A quick buzzing noise suddenly pops up, then the normal circle 7 graphic L3s appear.

4:07 After another buzzing noise, the normal L3 disappears.

4:13 Coming back from the first commercial break, yet another buzzing noise during the preview for a Holiday Inn-related story as the normal L3 reappears with a breaking news ticker about a severe thunderstorm watch.

This is just the first 13 minutes of today's Now alone, BTW.

jry

Post by jry » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:18 am

Here's two gems from WDIV.... Both happened in the 6 AM Cast. At 6:10 we found out that Detroit beat the Marlins, 19 to 9. The graphic said Marlins and the Anchors reported the win without mentioning the opponents team by name or city. Now, both teams have a "water" theme. Marlins swim in it and Mariners sail on it.
Then, later on, there was the story of the Female Genital Mutilation Clinic in Livonia. They mentioned Dr. Attar and his wife facing the Judge. Problem is, the photo showed Dr. Attar and Dr. Nagarwala. I understand 4s confusion.... they all look the same.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:06 am

A cop was shot in Detroit and 7 was there... until 1158 when the 11pm news was supposed to end and Gino Vicci's live report was cut off mid sentence as the newscast ended and went into commercials never to return... I understand it's automated... but is anybody paying enough attention over there to make contingencies when things happen that would make them need to go over their time? Isn't there a hotline to Indy or a way to override the automatic dump to commercial when it's scheduled to end at Broadcast House? How embarrassing.

jry

Post by jry » Mon May 01, 2017 3:23 pm

That is pretty bad, NS... Really bad.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

During WOF, the promo for tomorrow's Local 4 News Today had a preview that was literally just a black screen the entire time.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue May 02, 2017 9:39 am

The WXYZ lower screen ticker this AM (5/2), describes the Detroit Police officer who was shot and hospitalized as "a 14-year-old" department veteran.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic