Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Then, there's this.....

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
NS8401

Re: Then, there's this.....

Post by NS8401 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:03 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:12 pm
On the news, (I'm not sure which station) they reported someone walked out of Lowe's with 500 dollars worth of tools, (or one tool worth 500 dollars.)
That would be 7 although they said power tools so maybe it was 2 or 4 that forgot that detail...

jry

Post by jry » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 pm

[quote=dm00n post_id=550393 time=1488928025 user_id=6732]
The other day WDIV led the newscast with the story that a drive through worker threw a slush at a customer.

Today they led with a story that someone who lives next to a cement plant has a dusty car.

If these are the most important stories at the moment, I guess we're doing pretty well!
[/quote]

Heck, i was on Zugg Island one time and my White Rivera was all pitted from the toxic air. No one led with that story...

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:19 pm

jry wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 pm
Today they led with a story that someone who lives next to a cement plant has a dusty car.
I saw that newscast. The lead story at 6 PM! :lol

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 am

"Local 4 issues a severe weather alert for this afternoon as high winds hit Michigan"... one of my pet peeves is presuming to be able to issue anything like that to scare people...

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:58 am

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 am
"Local 4 issues a severe weather alert for this afternoon as high winds hit Michigan"... one of my pet peeves is presuming to be able to issue anything like that to scare people...
...and the irony here is that there wasn't even any precipitation yesterday.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

jry

Post by jry » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Their school closing chyron wasn't in alphabetical order, again. But, HEY, they won 24 awards from the MAB.... How about that?

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:00 pm

jry wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:56 pm
Their school closing chyron wasn't in alphabetical order, again. But, HEY, they won 24 awards from the MAB.... How about that?
Gotta love the individual submission thing... they should randomly evaluate people who apply and judge it that way... no more here's my best shot crap...

jry

Post by jry » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:32 am

Okay.... Here's a few things.

WDIV, school closings. Still not in alphabetical order AND they would show the same districts two or three times, per cycle. This was stuck in Oakland county as the chyron would cycle and cycle.... While we're on the topic of WDIV and their rogue chyron. It would show the amount of DTE customers out of power. Something like 650K. They broke with fresh news at about 6:45 AM that DTE was down to 515K.... HOWEVER, the chyron was screwed up well into The Today Show. Details, details.
Now on to The Big Circle. Promo-ing their feature about people driving without insurance or a license or whatever. The name of this feature? "Riding Dirty".... Ummm, the last time i checked, "Riding Dirty" had a whole different meaning.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:14 am

jry wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:32 am

WDIV, school closings. Still not in alphabetical order AND they would show the same districts two or three times, per cycle. This was stuck in Oakland county as the chyron would cycle and cycle.... While we're on the topic of WDIV and their rogue chyron. It would show the amount of DTE customers out of power. Something like 650K. They broke with fresh news at about 6:45 AM that DTE was down to 515K.... HOWEVER, the chyron was screwed up well into The Today Show. Details, details.
Now on to The Big Circle. Promo-ing their feature about people driving without insurance or a license or whatever. The name of this feature? "Riding Dirty".... Ummm, the last time i checked, "Riding Dirty" had a whole different meaning.
The young folks at the Big Circle (or maybe the older folks in this case?) aren't hip to that stuff apparently...

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 pm

jry wrote:

[...]Now on to The Big Circle. Promo-ing their feature about people driving without insurance or a license or whatever. The name of this feature? "Riding Dirty".... Ummm, the last time i checked, "Riding Dirty" had a whole different meaning.
Well, Urban Dictionary has definitions for the term both as Big Circle uses it, as well as the "whole different meaning" that is probably in more current use on the Street.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:55 pm

mtburb wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:58 am
NS8401 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 am
...and the irony here is that there wasn't even any precipitation yesterday.
I don't see the irony, but I do see the 4 bundles of shingles laying all over my backyard.

I do get the OP's point though, they have a very high opinion of themselves issuing a "severe weather alert" based upon the same information available not only at every TV station, but available to everyone with a dial-up internet connection.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:12 pm

jry wrote:

In the mid-1990's, WDIV broke ranks with every broadcaster in the state and stopped using the state police wire for school closings and started requiring every school administrator in the DMA to call into their system. Which then was followed quickly by every other media outlet in the hopes that they would somehow get the information first.

It should be clear to even the most stats challenged person how this would never, for any broadcaster, result in them having the majority of school closing anywhere near to being first, and as a population, generate a 1 in N chance (with N being the number of media outlets running their own reporting system) to be first, and what, a 1 in N squared chance of the viewer actually monitoring the station that was getting the information first? What a stupid decision to go from everyone getting the information at the same time to a slow dribble of information, bottlenecked by the ability of school administrators to delegate calling into media outlets or their own touch-tone dialing skills.

Broadcasters, namely the TV stations, took a well working established reporting system that had administrators calling one number, distributed by systems they already had (the NOAA AWIPS weather wire) and burned it down. Relief from having to call a half-dozen or more media outlets was certainly a contributing factor in the schools taking notifications into their own hands.

Now there is some irony where the local TV stations hastened their own irrelevance in dissemination of information for which they very much owned. Now, most parents get notified via SMS ahead of the media outlets. One more reason to tune-in, forever gone despite the Detroit media outlets now back to using a unified system (one that costs them all money).

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:29 pm

SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:12 pm
In the mid-1990's, WDIV broke ranks with every broadcaster in the state and stopped using the state police wire for school closings and started requiring every school administrator in the DMA to call into their system. Which then was followed quickly by every other media outlet in the hopes that they would somehow get the information first.

It should be clear to even the most stats challenged person how this would never, for any broadcaster, result in them having the majority of school closing anywhere near to being first, and as a population, generate a 1 in N chance (with N being the number of media outlets running their own reporting system) to be first, and what, a 1 in N squared chance of the viewer actually monitoring the station that was getting the information first? What a stupid decision to go from everyone getting the information at the same time to a slow dribble of information, bottlenecked by the ability of school administrators to delegate calling into media outlets or their own touch-tone dialing skills.

Broadcasters, namely the TV stations, took a well working established reporting system that had administrators calling one number, distributed by systems they already had (the NOAA AWIPS weather wire) and burned it down. Relief from having to call a half-dozen or more media outlets was certainly a contributing factor in the schools taking notifications into their own hands.

Now there is some irony where the local TV stations hastened their own irrelevance in dissemination of information for which they very much owned. Now, most parents get notified via SMS ahead of the media outlets. One more reason to tune-in, forever gone despite the Detroit media outlets now back to using a unified system (one that costs them all money).
Wow. This is really fascinating. And yeah, a ridiculous example of an attempt to put ratings over useful information.

True, you can easily find out if school districts are closed now without having to wait for the chyron. In fact, by the late 1990s, I was using a much easier method to see if my high school was closed for the day. I just had to turn on the district's channel on the local cable system. (No school = a full-screen graphic, up all day, that said that schools were closed.)

jry

Post by jry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:55 am

Watched the MABs Station of the Year, this morning and learned that Marco Rubio is a Senator from Texas....

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 pm

jry wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:55 am
Watched the MABs Station of the Year, this morning and learned that Marco Rubio is a Senator from Texas....
Somebody should call Florida and ask Senator Cruz how he feels about this... :lol

jry

Post by jry » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:25 am

So, yesterday evening, two of Detroits finest were shot while investigating the murder of the WSU police officer. The Big Circle decided to break into regular programming to go on the air with this. One problem, other than these two officers being shot, they had almost nothing to report. The ladies threw it to the reporter on the scene and she mentioned how the DPD had her move her car around. They even went to ask a follow up from one of the beat reporters and got a dial tone. Man... Radio 101 was always "Get Your Crap Together Before You Open The Mic". TV 101 should insert "Before You Go Live"....
Hey, not to leave the Dive out of things.... This morning i learned that President Reagan held a rally, here!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:13 am

jry wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:25 am
...other than these two officers being shot, they had almost nothing to report. The ladies threw it to the reporter on the scene and she mentioned how the DPD had her move her car around. They even went to ask a follow up from one of the beat reporters and got a dial tone. Man... Radio 101 was always "Get Your Crap Together Before You Open The Mic". TV 101 should insert "Before You Go Live"....
Completely agree. This was totally worthy of a Mike Duffy "TV Brick." Hearing Brianne describe her parking issues added just a lot more zero to the sum of non information in these two "BREAKING NEWS" interruptions.
I noticed that neither Fox2 nor ClickOnLocalWDIV4 broke into programming. A bottom-screen crawl by any or all of them would have done a proper job of alerting. Since on-air reports now always end up telling us to go to their respective websites, a crawl could have told us that, too.
Chief Craig used the term "armed and dangerous" probably a dozen times in his presser. Then Glenda and Carolyn had to remind us, almost as many times, that the suspect was "armed and dangerous." That was just about three minutes before the 7 cast on TV20, which we were frequently reminded of during the cut-ins.
Could have said that on a crawl, too. Did not want to watch the TV20 nor the WXYZ newscasts, knowing there'd be more of the same.
:roll:

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:13 am
... I noticed that neither Fox2 nor ClickOnLocalWDIV4 broke into programming. A bottom-screen crawl by any or all of them would have done a proper job of alerting ....
The cops got shot at 8:20. Karen Drew interrupted The Voice at 8:40 with a live shot on the scene. WDIV stayed live without interruption at the scene until about 9:20, then went back to The Voice. A few minutes after 9, I did a quick look at 2 and 7. Both were showing regular programming without any ticker tape or other indications of the shooting.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:17 pm

And now this one's a coincidental classic. During WXYZ at noon today, a WDIV van, with logos clearly visible, happened to pass by in the background on northbound Woodward.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:17 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 pm
The cops got shot at 8:20. Karen Drew interrupted The Voice at 8:40 with a live shot on the scene. WDIV stayed live without interruption at the scene until about 9:20, then went back to The Voice. A few minutes after 9, I did a quick look at 2 and 7. Both were showing regular programming without any ticker tape or other indications of the shooting.
Thanks for the correction. I wasn't maintaining a channel surfing vigil over this so didn't catch the WDIV coverage. I'm sure "Voice" fans also felt a short interruption and a crawl would have sufficed, given the dearth of actual information to be had and conveyed while this was going on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic