Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Then, there's this.....

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
jry

Then, there's this.....

Post by jry » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:44 pm

They're reporting that the police are searching a guy. He is driving a Beigh van. Evidently, they don't have spell check on their graphics pack.

LouPerry

Re: Then, there's this.....

Post by LouPerry » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Detroit News printed the wrong Harbaugh.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:12 pm

jry wrote:They're reporting that the police are searching a guy. He is driving a Beigh van. Evidently, they don't have spell check on their graphics pack.
One of the trucks recalled by Chrysler was not a Misubishi. It was a Mitsubish.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Massachusetts has been renamed by 7 as Massachusettes on tonights 10pm news. The Mitsubish thing from 6pm was fixed to Mitsubishi at 7. At least somebody proofread it when it was on the air.

zeplepplin

Post by zeplepplin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:15 pm

this is what happens when you hire cheap amateurs to keep seats warm in control rooms. corporations pay execs millions to do nothing and hire the grunts to do the work for minimum wage. take a look at faux news sometime. they are infested with amateurs.... on and off the air. roger ailes? whats he do besides rake in millions in salary and issue talking point memos every fucking morning? same goes for all the locals as well.

jry

Post by jry » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:54 am

You guys are great. Good catches, all of them.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:55 am

You wouldn't believe the crap I read on mLive. It gets corrected before going to print, but does no one educate about proofreading anymore?
Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:30 am

Over this past year I have listened on many occasions to mulitiple sources on the air at WJR at one time. I have heard two spots at a time. I've heard air and Beckman doing a countdown for a pretaped promo at the same time.

Why is this happening? Either there is no one running the board or the automation (if there is that) gets off track. I worked in radio for a while before a 38 year career in commercial television in this market. Will someone explain what is going on with WJR. Thanks in advance for your replies.

P.S. If you ask why am I even listening to WJR it is because I listen to conservative talk radio.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:53 am

WDIV reporting on Christmas day that "The Interview" can be streamed for free.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:25 am

SixPlusOne wrote:Over this past year I have listened on many occasions to mulitiple sources on the air at WJR at one time. I have heard two spots at a time. I've heard air and Beckman doing a countdown for a pretaped promo at the same time.

Why is this happening? Either there is no one running the board or the automation (if there is that) gets off track. I worked in radio for a while before a 38 year career in commercial television in this market. Will someone explain what is going on with WJR. Thanks in advance for your replies.

P.S. If you ask why am I even listening to WJR it is because I listen to conservative talk radio.
Since it's just about all syndicated there probably are not enough people watching what's going on. That all comes down again to poor management like anything else. Like 7's errors (to their credit the technical hiccups have come down even though spell-check seems to be a foreign concept) that people like to blame on automation... The automation is only as good as the guy running it and the people tasked with making sure he runs it right. That's why some stations run much better than others.

jry

Post by jry » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:48 am

[quote="NS8401"][quote="SixPlusOne"][color=#0000FF][b]Over this past year I have listened on many occasions to [u]mulitiple sources[/u] on the air at WJR at one time. I have heard two spots at a time. I've heard air and Beckman doing a countdown for a pretaped promo at the same time.

Why is this happening? Either there is no one running the board or the automation (if there is that) gets off track. I worked in radio for a while before a 38 year career in commercial television in this market. Will someone explain what is going on with WJR. [u]Thanks in advance for your replies.[/u]

P.S. If you ask why am I even listening to WJR it is because I listen to conservative talk radio.[/b][/color][/quote]
Since it's just about all syndicated there probably are not enough people watching what's going on. That all comes down again to poor management like anything else. Like 7's errors (to their credit the technical hiccups have come down even though spell-check seems to be a foreign concept) that people like to blame on automation... The automation is only as good as the guy running it and the people tasked with making sure he runs it right. That's why some stations run much better than others.[/quote]

There are rare occasions when tones are not sent down, properly, from the syndicator. Most of the time, it's the person that fed stuff into the system.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:06 pm

jry wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
SixPlusOne wrote:Over this past year I have listened on many occasions to mulitiple sources on the air at WJR at one time. I have heard two spots at a time. I've heard air and Beckman doing a countdown for a pretaped promo at the same time.

Since it's just about all syndicated there probably are not enough people watching what's going on. That all comes down again to poor management like anything else. Like 7's errors (to their credit the technical hiccups have come down even though spell-check seems to be a foreign concept) that people like to blame on automation... The automation is only as good as the guy running it and the people tasked with making sure he runs it right. That's why some stations run much better than others.
There are rare occasions when tones are not sent down, properly, from the syndicator. Most of the time, it's the person that fed stuff into the system.
Right but there must be somebody in charge of that person that is not paying attention which is bad management. Multiple mistakes and little improvement would ideally result in changes.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Today at noon:
It's "Flue" season not Flu.
"Donate your used MP2 players and other electronics to"...

thunderkiss65

Post by thunderkiss65 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Its that time of the year when everyone needs to check their chimney. :rollin

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Haven't seen a cringeworthy typo in a while but all the classroom time for that career must have paid off. Tonight at 11 on 7 I give u a statement from Eastern Michigan "universtiy". :rollin

Now if my phone can autocorrect that word and make me say no to keep it wrong, why can't the super expensive graphics system learn it and fix it in a similar way or ask "did you mean?" Or something? I hope they got a discount on it.

Love Pink

Post by Love Pink » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:04 am

What is sad about these typos is that there are enough of them in this world that I own several coffee table books just chock full of photos pointing them out in various scenarios(billboards, church signs, birthday cakes, etc.). And those are just the ones that someone happened to catch.

When I was in Europe, I used to wonder a lot if people born speaking other languages are subject to making the same amount of spelling and grammatical errors as Americans make with the English language. Unfortunately I never became fluent enough of a German speaker to catch a whole lot of errors. Seeing as German is a very hard language when it comes to grammar, I'm guessing the answer is yes, we are not alone in making bad grammar mistakes often.
♪♫Quickie-kiss-it Quickie-kiss-it Quickie-kiss-it Muah Muah Muah Quickie-kiss-it Quickie-kiss-it She's kissing, she's kissing, she's kissing so quick♫♪

jry

Post by jry » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:38 pm

It's FLEW season.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:41 pm

jry wrote:It's FLEW season.
At least to 7's credit their producer job postings now say "strong spelling and grammar skills" as a requirement along with increased experience levels... Somebody over there finally noticed.

Big Signal

Post by Big Signal » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:41 pm

The one thing that drives me crazy is how up speak has infected our society. It's not so much in the broadcast world but just listen to how so many now speak with sounding like they are asking a question, or aren't sure if what they said is true. I did however heard someone on the Fox Network use up speak this morning while giving an economic report. If you don't understand what I'm talking about let me give you an example. Say if I was talking to you and I was to say, I was at home Depot the other day? I was looking for a new door knob? Do you get the picture. Just listen and you will see what I'm talking about, not only on TV or Radio but in everyday conversation in public. I think it started with the Valley Girls in California. :barf
It's all about the money!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Big Signal wrote:The one thing that drives me crazy is how up speak has infected our society. It's not so much in the broadcast world but just listen to how so many now speak with sounding like they are asking a question, or aren't sure if what they said is true. I did however heard someone on the Fox Network use up speak this morning while giving an economic report. If you don't understand what I'm talking about let me give you an example. Say if I was talking to you and I was to say, I was at home Depot the other day? I was looking for a new door knob? Do you get the picture. Just listen and you will see what I'm talking about, not only on TV or Radio but in everyday conversation in public. I think it started with the Valley Girls in California. :barf
So you mean where the voice and inflection rise at the end?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic