Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 7-23-2017 at 8:30p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Ann Arbor radio history need help guys please

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
LouPerry

Re: Ann Arbor radio history need help guys please

Post by LouPerry » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:23 pm

In 2003 when First Broadcasting purchased WAAM I became the programming consultant. Two challenges laid ahead. One was that the station was programmed as a mom and pop store and the second it had a mix-match personality. The guy who did mornings was also the PD and acted as if he was the GM and was let go. The news department ws strong and I was impressed as to how they covered Ann Arbor and Washtenaw; no other station in Washtenaw was doing anything as complete. Obviously as an AM a talk format. Although Ann Arbor being a well-known liberal market the NPR stations had that covered. So being conservative leaning was a segment not served. First was to bring over the biggest radio personality in the market for mornings – Lucy Ann Lance. Second was to pick-up Laura Ingraham for mid-day. Laura came to Ann Arbor, spoke at Economic Club and broadcasted from here. Noon to 3 Glenn Beck when he was a lot more rational and a lot of fun. Ted Heusel in afternoon drive. Can’t remember evenings. Overnights were George Noory, he then went to CKLW and we had to drop him. Then Joey Reynolds and for some reason we had to drop him also. Forgot who we replaced him with. We moved Ted from afternoon drive to a Saturday slot. Thayrone was doing an evening weekend music show. We moved him to afternoon drive doing talk keeping the weekend talk show. Should be noted that former WAAM personality Jimmy Barrett who I knew from WJR while at WRVR mornings and PD did many of the bumpers for us. All this time First Broadcasting was working VERY hard to get FCC approval to move the station to Detroit which was the reason they bought it in the first place. They bought out signals that would interfere, lobbied and more but FCC said no more than once. After that they brought in a team and gutted the station.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:28 pm

As I recall, the application could have been fixed by reducing the daytime power or changing the daytime pattern of the proposed facility. In contention was a tiny peninsula in Lake Erie, where they claimed overlap would occur. I don't know what happened. Maybe they only gave them one more chance to fix it. Sometimes these things are argued as de minimis.

Rereading the letters, it looks like the application had been fixed and was grantable, but that AAFV requested that it be dismissed.
"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Before First Broadcasting Clear Channel wanted to buy WAAM having all the Ann Arbor stations but FCC said no no. After all the time and money First Broadcasting spent I would assume a small station on Lake Erie wouldn’t get in their way. Of course they might have come to the conclusion that it wasn’t worth spending more - forget it, sell it and go on from there. In prepping for selling strip all costs. Think at that point they couldn’t find a buyer. From here I’m not the one who knows best I was gone. Linda Hughes, General Manager and Owner of WAAM and wife of Thayrone would be the knowledable one. I’ve said this before on this site. Linda is a hero in southeast Michigan radio. A Michigander worked in sales and produced Thayrone shows and had the balls to buy a strong signal radio station. I love her and maybe Thayrone too.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Arthur Mometer wrote:As I recall, the application could have been fixed by reducing the daytime power or changing the daytime pattern of the proposed facility. In contention was a tiny peninsula in Lake Erie, where they claimed overlap would occur. I don't know what happened. Maybe they only gave them one more chance to fix it. Sometimes these things are argued as de minimis.

Rereading the letters, it looks like the application had been fixed and was grantable, but that AAFV requested that it be dismissed.
Arthur...What's AAFV? Thank you.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:02 pm

Ann Arbor First Ventures is what the company was called, at least when they filed for the move to Oak Park.
"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:42 pm

More about Don Riley/Jerry Riley.

http://reelradio.com/dr/index.html
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Of course, no discussion of Ann Arbor radio is complete without an excerpt of airchecks of John Records Landecker (News) and Art Vuolo (DJ) on WOIA 102.9 from 1967. It was a Sunday night, right after the Six Day War. There is mention in the newscast of a the Le Mans race. All that information pins down the day, June 11, 1967. Outtakes of this recording mention Bonanza just finishing, and it being too late to even hear the theme song, which is included in the clip.

http://keenerpodcast.com/LandeckerVuolo0567.mp3
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Thank you for the links, Ben!

943thebeach

Post by 943thebeach » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:Of course, no discussion of Ann Arbor radio is complete without an excerpt of airchecks of John Records Landecker (News) and Art Vuolo (DJ) on WOIA 102.9 from 1967. It was a Sunday night, right after the Six Day War. There is mention in the newscast of a the Le Mans race. All that information pins down the day, June 11, 1967. Outtakes of this recording mention Bonanza just finishing, and it being too late to even hear the theme song, which is included in the clip.

Great air check!! So what you are trying to say is WIOB 1290 went to Top 40 on June 11, 1967?

It looks like from the air check they separated programming on Sunday From 10pm-11pm.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:29 pm

The latest that WOIB 1290 would have signed off would be 8:15 PM EST in June, and I think that it was a year that only used Standard Time. Either way, it wouldn't be later than 9:15 PM EDT. There was no PSSA in those days. So there was no separation of programming. No, it's just a point in time, as is most of the information you can find now. In those days, they only turned on the stereo pilot when stereo material was being broadcast. At 10000 watts from one of the AM towers on Brassow Rd, it was indeed the most powerful commercial radio station in Washtenaw County, and it still is as WWWW-FM.

-Author Unknown

rst599

Post by rst599 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:The latest that WOIB 1290 would have signed off would be 8:15 PM EST in June, and I think that it was a year that only used Standard Time.
They used to sign off the AM at 6PM, even in the summer. The minimum operating requirement for daytimers was 2/3 of the authorized hours between sunrise and 6PM.
Ben Zonia wrote:At 10000 watts from one of the AM towers on Brassow Rd, it was indeed the most powerful commercial radio station in Washtenaw County, and it still is as WWWW-FM.
I remember the RCA BTF-5D transmitter with the BTE-10B exciter and stereo generator - all tubes, of course - that sat right in the front lobby when you walked in. The Collins AM rig was toward the back of the building.

dboynton

Post by dboynton » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:54 pm

One Sunday evening, I did 6-12 out in Saline, signed off, and then spent the next two hours making an audition tape in the control room. Went to my car to leave, turned it on, and heard carrier. I'd failed to shut down the exciter.

And the audition tape never got me a job, either!

- Doug Boynton

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:12 pm

So the audition tape editing went out over the air, Doug? I know of similar things happening, back in the days when radio could be fun. On FM stations, if you sign off, make sure the mike is potted all the way down and that the exciter is off. Not sure if the audio will pass through on AM if the exciter is left on. Usually, the exciter on AM won't get out more than 1/4 mile though. FM exciters can be heard for 15-20 miles in some cases. There should be a sign in the studio along with no smoking signs, etc. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of crickets that you could hear from that studio this time of year.

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:56 pm

943thebeach wrote:
Ben Zonia wrote:Of course, no discussion of Ann Arbor radio is complete without an excerpt of airchecks of John Records Landecker (News) and Art Vuolo (DJ) on WOIA 102.9 from 1967. It was a Sunday night, right after the Six Day War. There is mention in the newscast of a the Le Mans race. All that information pins down the day, June 11, 1967. Outtakes of this recording mention Bonanza just finishing, and it being too late to even hear the theme song, which is included in the clip.

Great air check!! So what you are trying to say is WIOB 1290 went to Top 40 on June 11, 1967?

It looks like from the air check they separated programming on Sunday From 10pm-11pm.
The best copy of a survey is from November, 1967. Not sure when Top 40 started. It was Beautiful Music when it began as I recall.

-Author Unknown

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:12 am

rst599 wrote:I remember the RCA BTF-5D transmitter with the BTE-10B exciter and stereo generator - all tubes, of course - that sat right in the front lobby when you walked in. The Collins AM rig was toward the back of the building.
Indeed.....the good old RCA 'FireMaker'. Snubber caps around the tube socket that just LOVED to catch fire and burn in the airflow of the final blower. I suspect its the same one they moved up the hill at the gravel pit. 'IQB's never hit critical mass, but 92.3 did at the Renaissance Center one fine afternoon, spreading smoke everywhere. Boy, there is a story.

The RCA at 'IQB was the scene of my first realization, many years ago, that age was catching up with me and I needed glasses. Up on the hill, late one night, tube removed and my head in the cavity looking at something, I realized I could not move my head back far enough to focus on what I wanted to see.....glasses were needed. Sigh. Remember, Jim?

It stayed in place as a standby after the Continental 816 was installed...could not move in that little hut with them both in there. Mike Solon would not buy the solid state IPA.....an 816 without a solid state IPA was like a frigid prom queen on a long weekend camping. Wonder if its still around.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:40 am

I thought the problem was the Rexolite - how do you burn ceramic anyway?
http://www.abominablefirebug.com/job/rca.pdf
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Interesting....as I looked at the page from your link, I said to myself "That hole in the front looks familiar", as it resembled the Lower Peninsula of Michigan.....I said....hmmm, maybe they all burned that way....something about airflow.....then I saw the photo credit.

That indeed is the transmitter I mentioned in my post.

As I said, there is more to that story, though.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Let me guess - Tube change and improper neutralization?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:01 pm

audiophile wrote:Let me guess - Tube change and improper neutralization?

Craziest thing....it had sat there fat, happy, and unattended for several weeks, without so much as a visit or a burp in performance.

Readings were suddenly crazy, and it had stayed on the air despite poor performance indications on the readings. CE had the flu so bad he couldn't get out of bed, and asked us to look at it, since we were up there all the time. Anyway, it finally shut down, and essentially put itself out. Aside from a lot of smoke damage everywhere, it was eerily quiet. There was very little left of the PA cavity and cabinet area and it was not really possible to point to a source other than the propensity of the model to do this. You can imagine just how hot that thing got in order to melt that front panel like that.

The PCBs had not been removed prior to the incident, so clean up was a big job handled by pros. We got them a little 1KW Connie solid state in a hurry, and they ran on it for weeks.

One of the responding guys had some health issues later in life, and always has mused about them might having being related.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Back in the late 1970s, gas masks were readily available in Ann Arbor, partly due to their use in Chemical Synthesis research. I suspect that is still true. I would suggest that one or two be available for such potential disasters. Human bodies are not "tough" against such chemicals. I can PM you a name if you want a good contact about gas masks. I suspect that particulates are also filtered depending on the mask. As I recall, Selenium rectifiers fell into disfavor because of these issues also.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic