Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 6-15-2017 at 8:45a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Ann Arbor radio history need help guys please

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
therad

Re: Ann Arbor radio history need help guys please

Post by therad » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:43 pm

I'll try to clarify the format changes at this station in the late 60's & early 70's. In the latter part of 1967 they did a Top 40 format between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. In the mornings they still played MOR music, Ted Heusel talk show, etc. From 9 p.m. to midnight was a jazz show. They went back to all-MOR in 1968. Then starting in the spring/summer of 1969 they gave Top 40 another shot, this time all day (That's when Heusel left for WPAG). It was pretty successful (by Ann Arbor radio standards) and they started calling themselves Winners Radio, changing the call-letters to WNRS/WNRZ on Valentine's Day, 1970. Within a year or two, WNRZ had morphed from Top 40 to AOR and WNRS became country. They simulcast country on both stations for a short time, then went back to AOR on FM, with it becoming WIQB in I believe 1974.

Retrack

Post by Retrack » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

WIQB first took to the air on March 1, 1975 at 3:01pm (everything had to be a play on the numbers 103.) The station opened with an Art-Vuolo-produced music montage. First actual cut played was Fresh Air by Quicksilver Messenger Service

The Constant Browser

Post by The Constant Browser » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:47 am

The WIQB call letters represented 103..... I Q B = 1 0 3.

rst599

Post by rst599 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Plate Cap wrote:92.3 did at the Renaissance Center one fine afternoon, spreading smoke everywhere. Boy, there is a story.
I used to service some radio gear on the same floor as 92.3's RCA. I always noticed the smell of smoke up there but just assumed it was the wood grill from the kitchen downstairs. When they moved across the street, my gear got moved to the pad where the RCA once sat. Better than being sandwiched between the elevator cage and the spare glass window panels.

When they built that building, they strangely made no provision for radio equipment on the roof other than that FM transmitter, and there was apparently no thought given to air conditioning or proper ventilation than to put hydraulic louvers on the air intake. Most of the time the louvers were jammed shut and it was 100 degrees up there (and sooty from carbon dust from the elevator motor brushes). When GM bought the building it had to be brought up to code, so all the radio gear got moved down a floor, to what had been the restrooms for the cocktail lounge. Too small but a much better environment, with grounding as well.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Didn't they only have a Rohn 25 on the roof for the FM?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:08 pm

Whatever the WTWR 92.3 antenna was mounted on was very short. It had a strobe on the top as I recall. Haven't seen it in years, and don't know what is there now.

Where was the TL before the Renaissance Center? As WLIN, it was in Lincoln Park. WCAR-FM was originally on 99.5 and on the WCAR (AM) 1130 tower near Square Lake and Telegraph.

frankfrank

Post by frankfrank » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:01 am

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:02 pm
Ann Arbor First Ventures is what the company was called, at least when they filed for the move to Oak Park.
Oh, so even filing for a C. O. L. that of course had absolutely no local radio service whatsoever (in FCC eyes), wasn't enough help? Until you mentioned that, I thought that "Detroit" had been filed for, and I was thinking that something like Redford or Troy (something not already taken) may have helped, but that was covered already.
"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." -The Scarecrow, THE WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Build, for a man, a fire - and he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man afire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life - UNKNOWN

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Fingerboard Corners wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:08 pm
Whatever the WTWR 92.3 antenna was mounted on was very short. It had a strobe on the top as I recall. Haven't seen it in years, and don't know what is there now.

Where was the TL before the Renaissance Center? As WLIN, it was in Lincoln Park. WCAR-FM was originally on 99.5 and on the WCAR (AM) 1130 tower near Square Lake and Telegraph.
This thread came back to life and I saw this. WCAR-FM, before it was WTWR on the Ren Cen and studios on the 15th floor of Tower 100, was on Cadillac Square for several years. Equalized phone lines all the way downtown, which was a much shorter distance than the AM's lines to downriver. I believe it was moved back to Cadillac Square in one of its new incarnations.

WTWR had problems with all the microwave antenna clutter on the Ren Cen hotel roof, and there was a null heading up Grand River Avenue. Signal issues for sure. Seems to me the transmitter caught fire (it was an RCA if memory serves), or was affected by a fire elsewhere nearby as it was in a shared electrical room for the elevator equipment, and other building and hotel restaurant equipment.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:23 pm

When 1590 and 1600 were opened up under NARBA in 1941, stations were applying for them, but they were held up mainly until after World War II. WWRL applied to move off a Local channel to 1600, one of the first on that frequency. On the WAAM History Card, there is a reference to a mutually exclusive application for 1600 in Detroit. Since Detroit had 6 AM stations, and Ann Arbor just had Daytimer WPAG 1050, 1600 was awarded to Huron River Valley Broadcasting, which put WHRV 1600 on the air in 1947. Since it was well protected by very few stations, it was Class III-A, even though it was 1000 watts Day and Night, and everybody in the Radio and DX World thought that III-As were all 5000 watts Fulltime, which WAAM only became in the early 1970s, after passing through a 5000 Watts Daytime/1000 Watts Nighttime phase in the 1960s to early 1970s, still considered Class III-A. There are others like that also. Also, MANY 5000 Watt Fulltimers were Class III-B, and just Class III. It had to do with the amount of interference. Nearest I can tell, it was based on the 10% skywave of the strongest interfering skywave, and if there was more than one, it was assumed that they would not be at the 10% skywave level simultaneously. If it was .LE. 125 uV/m, it was Class III-A, if it was between 125 and 200 uV/m, it was Class III-B, and if it was more than 200 uV/m, it was Class III. If you look at the stations that were III-A, the NIFs today cluster around 3.5 mV/m, and III-Bs cluster around 5.6 mV/m, equivalent to TWO stations interfering simultaneously at the normally protected level. It is difficult to achieve DA protection of a lot of III-As without a complex array, but III-Bs are less critical. And you see a lot of III-Bs with simple three tower in line arrays with just 1000 watts. By adding a fourth in line tower, many 5000 Watt Night stations were able to be fit in. Nowadays, some dogleg arrangements are necessary to get to near 5000 Watts Night. Any former Class IIIs above 5000 Watts Night are generally in the 6 to 10 tower range. Some really old 5000 Watt Night stations, and stations further North toward thinly populated regions of Canada are less.
"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic