Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Ben Bailey out at Fox 2

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Editorcj

Re: Ben Bailey out at Fox 2

Post by Editorcj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Just my opinion, but I think Ben was frustrated that he wasn't going to take Luderman's night time shift anytime soon. He didn't care that Kam and others were doing weather before him in the morning except when Kam royally screwed up the forecast, which happened far too frequently. Just being on the air at 6:30 was too early for him and he was done waiting for the nighttime job. That's why I think he will pop up in different market as a main weather man.

Smirnoff

Post by Smirnoff » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Very apparent he was "canned".....especially if you viewed his last farewell on the air.

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Smirnoff wrote:Very apparent he was "canned".....especially if you viewed his last farewell on the air.
Nope, canned people generally don't get to say goodbye. And then stay on to finish a shift. Usually, you're hustled out of the building if you're canned. It's very obvious he was touched by all the facebook comments from fans and well wishes from staffers like Alan Lee and Q. After all, he was working with that crew for 9 years... that's ages in broadcasting. Of course he would be touched. I'm betting he has a good gig lined up.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Word on the street is that Ben will be going to channel 4 when his non-compete runs out. Chuck Gaidica will be giving up the 4pm and 11pm and Ben Bailey will get the night job he has always wanted.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Good. That station needed some better bench strength behind Gaidica.
Plus Bailey would be a better heir apparent to the Gaidica throne at channel 4.

radioboi

Post by radioboi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Editorcj wrote:Word on the street is that Ben will be going to channel 4 when his non-compete runs out. Chuck Gaidica will be giving up the 4pm and 11pm and Ben Bailey will get the night job he has always wanted.
Chuck give up 11pm? hmmm

perryb

Post by perryb » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:31 pm

If that is indeed true about Channel 4, Im all for it! Bens delivery of the weather is enjoyable. I keep looking at Fox 2 with the losers they have filling in his old time slot trying to instill believability to the viewer and it just doesn't sit well with me. Its apparent they now realize they should have given Ben more consideration

jazzgirl

Post by jazzgirl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:23 am

I sure hope the Channel 4 rumor is true! Ben was a class act and consummate pro for 9 years and if this is true, it is the opportunity he was not only looking for but really deserved. He is a rare combination of a very good meteorologist who takes the job very seriously but at the same time shows a gregarious charm and slick wit. I sure hope this comes to pass!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 am

I wonder how that move -- if it comes to fruition -- will sit with Brandon and Andrew. They will not have much of an opportunity to advance.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:38 pm

radioboi wrote:
Editorcj wrote:Word on the street is that Ben will be going to channel 4 when his non-compete runs out. Chuck Gaidica will be giving up the 4pm and 11pm and Ben Bailey will get the night job he has always wanted.
Chuck give up 11pm? hmmm
I heard a few weeks ago that Chuck is retiring. It's been a good long run in Detroit.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 pm

pixelplay wrote:
radioboi wrote:
Chuck give up 11pm? hmmm
I heard a few weeks ago that Chuck is retiring. It's been a good long run in Detroit.
If enough well known talent leaves due to retirement (How long do Carmen and Bernie have?) could that move the ratings at all? We saw what it did to 7 starting in 2010.

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:36 pm

NS8401 wrote:
pixelplay wrote:
radioboi wrote:
Chuck give up 11pm? hmmm
If enough well known talent leaves due to retirement (How long do Carmen and Bernie have?) could that move the ratings at all? We saw what it did to 7 starting in 2010.
4 does have a lot of folks below retirement age compared to 7's previous situation. And Bailey was a draw at 2 so that's a good move if it's true. Chuck after all was on 2 before he was on 4. And Bailey has already put around 9 years into the market. That's a plus as well.

radiodoc

Post by radiodoc » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Mr. Bailey is just one of many in recent years that brought fun and class to the broadcast at 2, but had to leave because of the rumored craziness that goes on over there. Not sure what is going through the minds of those who call the shots at that station, but soon, the ratings will go south.

Good for Mr. Bailey. He's excellent.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:27 pm

NS8401 wrote: If enough well known talent leaves due to retirement (How long do Carmen and Bernie have?).....
evidently at least 2 more years.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Love Pink

Post by Love Pink » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:46 am

Before I read further into the details(such as the date) of this thread, for a minute I thought Ben Bailey was leaving his semi-new job at 4. I guess it pays to pay attention.
♪♫Quickie-kiss-it Quickie-kiss-it Quickie-kiss-it Muah Muah Muah Quickie-kiss-it Quickie-kiss-it She's kissing, she's kissing, she's kissing so quick♫♪

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:33 am

Looks like Ben is doing well at 4.

Glad to see the viewers have accepted him there and not just the "kid-faced" weather guy at Fox2 ;)
Image>>RayQix<<Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic