Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Sunday, August 10 at 8:00a ET have been activated.  

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:16 pm 

Just my opinion, but I think Ben was frustrated that he wasn't going to take Luderman's night time shift anytime soon. He didn't care that Kam and others were doing weather before him in the morning except when Kam royally screwed up the forecast, which happened far too frequently. Just being on the air at 6:30 was too early for him and he was done waiting for the nighttime job. That's why I think he will pop up in different market as a main weather man.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:26 pm 

Very apparent he was "canned".....especially if you viewed his last farewell on the air.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm 

Smirnoff wrote:
Very apparent he was "canned".....especially if you viewed his last farewell on the air.

Nope, canned people generally don't get to say goodbye. And then stay on to finish a shift. Usually, you're hustled out of the building if you're canned. It's very obvious he was touched by all the facebook comments from fans and well wishes from staffers like Alan Lee and Q. After all, he was working with that crew for 9 years... that's ages in broadcasting. Of course he would be touched. I'm betting he has a good gig lined up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:12 pm 

Word on the street is that Ben will be going to channel 4 when his non-compete runs out. Chuck Gaidica will be giving up the 4pm and 11pm and Ben Bailey will get the night job he has always wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:46 pm 

Good. That station needed some better bench strength behind Gaidica.
Plus Bailey would be a better heir apparent to the Gaidica throne at channel 4.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:05 pm 

Editorcj wrote:
Word on the street is that Ben will be going to channel 4 when his non-compete runs out. Chuck Gaidica will be giving up the 4pm and 11pm and Ben Bailey will get the night job he has always wanted.
Chuck give up 11pm? hmmm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:31 pm 

If that is indeed true about Channel 4, Im all for it! Bens delivery of the weather is enjoyable. I keep looking at Fox 2 with the losers they have filling in his old time slot trying to instill believability to the viewer and it just doesn't sit well with me. Its apparent they now realize they should have given Ben more consideration

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:23 am 

I sure hope the Channel 4 rumor is true! Ben was a class act and consummate pro for 9 years and if this is true, it is the opportunity he was not only looking for but really deserved. He is a rare combination of a very good meteorologist who takes the job very seriously but at the same time shows a gregarious charm and slick wit. I sure hope this comes to pass!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 am 
Site Admin

I wonder how that move -- if it comes to fruition -- will sit with Brandon and Andrew. They will not have much of an opportunity to advance.

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Michigan-football-covered-up-rape-allegations-and-threats-of-violence-then-lied-about-it-people-need-to-be-fired-immediately-10-2-4830

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:38 pm 

radioboi wrote:
Editorcj wrote:
Chuck give up 11pm? hmmm

I heard a few weeks ago that Chuck is retiring. It's been a good long run in Detroit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 pm 

pixelplay wrote:
radioboi wrote:
Editorcj wrote:
Chuck give up 11pm? hmmm

I heard a few weeks ago that Chuck is retiring. It's been a good long run in Detroit.

If enough well known talent leaves due to retirement (How long do Carmen and Bernie have?) could that move the ratings at all? We saw what it did to 7 starting in 2010.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:36 pm 

NS8401 wrote:
pixelplay wrote:
radioboi wrote:
Editorcj wrote:
Chuck give up 11pm? hmmm

If enough well known talent leaves due to retirement (How long do Carmen and Bernie have?) could that move the ratings at all? We saw what it did to 7 starting in 2010.

4 does have a lot of folks below retirement age compared to 7's previous situation. And Bailey was a draw at 2 so that's a good move if it's true. Chuck after all was on 2 before he was on 4. And Bailey has already put around 9 years into the market. That's a plus as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 pm 

Mr. Bailey is just one of many in recent years that brought fun and class to the broadcast at 2, but had to leave because of the rumored craziness that goes on over there. Not sure what is going through the minds of those who call the shots at that station, but soon, the ratings will go south.

Good for Mr. Bailey. He's excellent.