Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Sunday, September 21 at 7:45p ET have been activated.  

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone have any dirt on this decision? FSN's GM must be a major douche stick to fire Larry Murphy so abruptly...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf ... ppoin.html

Many of the comments are an interesting read, I must say.

I don't watch Red Wings hockey regularly, but I generally liked Larry Murphy's manner of delivery whenever I did tune in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:49 pm 

Sources tell me that although Greg (GM), who has indeed been referred to as a douche by current and former employees, has the title of GM, the accounting side of the business is calling the shots over there and he acts as hatchet man.

Like the rest of the industry, the money side is in charge over there these days.

Last edited by Bryce on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:18 pm 

Murphy did a great job. It doesnt make sense

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:02 pm 

Most of the time when personalities get disposed of, it's a direct response to someone above the individual's boss wondering what that boss does when things aren't "right". The boss then does something to show that there's some reason why they're in charge in the first place. It often doesn't have any direct correlation to the reason stated, but the boss only will mention the action taken, without bothering to explain it.

I couldn't say for certain that this was the case here, but without some obvious public reason, that theory I've listed usually fits.

When in doubt, do something. If it's obviously the "wrong" thing, the boss or the company can usually undo it and claim the decision was "reconsidered". Otherwise, if the firing of the individual doesn't fix the problem, the boss has bought themselves some time to potentially line up the next job, as this one won't likely be theirs much longer.

Never mind that the individual usually did nothing worth losing their job for, or that people appreciated the job that individual did. At a corporate level, that isn't a main consideration, unless the individual is an A-level talent or star. Then the boss and the company will usually have more to say, either before or after the individual is let go.

Bottom line: Larry, I've always thought your work was good, and hoped to see you at FSN for years to come. We'll miss you, and hope to see you again soon. Best of luck, and thanks for the past 10 years!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:07 pm 

Still wondering how Rod Allen has a job. The man knows ZERO about baseball and thinks the Tigers are perfect in every way.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:04 pm 

hereornot wrote:
Still wondering how Rod Allen has a job. The man knows ZERO about baseball and thinks the Tigers are perfect in every way.

Rod is entertaining and actually predicts things before they happen quite often.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:30 pm 

We must be watching different telecasts then. Rod Allen is a hack and not funny at all. He usually predicts the opposite of what actually happens. Remember when he was raving about the grounds crew, and not long after the comments Phil Coke stepped in a hole and ended up on the DL?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:20 pm 

Is it customary to make financial cuts in the middle of the season? Why not wait 2 months and you don't make it look so suspicious. The way it happened wasn't fair to Murphy whether you are a fan or not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 pm 

joe60 wrote:
hereornot wrote:

Rod is entertaining and actually predicts things before they happen quite often.

I agree. Rod makes the broadcasts more entertaining.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:41 pm 

Listening to the "fan furor" over the sudden release of Murphy, I think it is obvious that FSD has figured out they stepped on their dick on this one.

Fox Sports Detroit released this statement today:

Quote:
“We wanted our primary team of Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels to call the remaining games as the Red Wings make a push for the playoffs. We thought it was only fair to let Larry know as soon as possible that he would not be scheduled for any more assignments. We thank Larry for his contributions to our telecasts over the years and we wish him well.”

The media was told that this was the only statement they would make regarding this matter.

It would almost have been better for them to not say anything at all. Whether you're a Larry fan or not, something sure smells funny!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:27 pm 

This is also the network that has Mateen Cleaves as an NBA Pistons Analyst and still employs Shannon Hogan. Apparently, Murphy was fired for being articulate and intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:04 am 

JRBlitz wrote:
This is also the network that has Mateen Cleaves as an NBA Pistons Analyst and still employs Shannon Hogan. Apparently, Murphy was fired for being articulate and intelligent.

What's wrong with Shannon? Too attractive? Too much spine? Too much more background as an athlete than your average fox sports chickie?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 pm 

DAC wrote:
JRBlitz wrote:

What's wrong with Shannon?

She's not good at her job...she's terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 pm 

Bryce wrote:
Like the rest of the industry, the money side is in charge over there these days.

Though I believe you here, this is just sad all around. Stations like FSD pay tens of millions of dollars just for the rights to the team. Then they apparently have no money left over for talent. But if you want to watch the Wings, and FSD has the TV monopoly, you're stuck with them. They don't have to care about pissing off the viewers.

It seems like they're getting a LOT of flack for this... but I also doubt any big Wings fans have stopped watching.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 am 

O'Looney's wrote:
DAC wrote:
JRBlitz wrote:

What's wrong with Shannon?

She's not good at her job...she's terrible.

Okay, tell me why that's true.