Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Saturday, June 21 at 3:45p ET have been activated.  

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Could they speed up the music any more? Man it sounds horrible, at least during certain songs. Not quite as rotten as the defunct Bone, but annoying nonetheless.

I had my car radio tuned to WRIF when their PD / engineer / whomever was fiddling with the audio settings early last week during the 6p hour.
The dynamic range doesn't sound quite as good as before, either.

Why is it that stations in Markets #100 - #200 with similar formats are capable of offering near-CD quality audio whereas WRIF and 89X find that task extremely difficult to accomplish?

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Michigan-football-covered-up-rape-allegations-and-threats-of-violence-then-lied-about-it-people-need-to-be-fired-immediately-10-2-4830

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:19 pm 

MWmetalhead wrote:
Could they speed up the music any more? Man it sounds horrible, at least during certain songs. Not quite as rotten as the defunct Bone, but annoying nonetheless.

I had my car radio tuned to WRIF when their PD / engineer / whomever was fiddling with the audio settings early last week during the 6p hour.
The dynamic range doesn't sound quite as good as before, either.

Why is it that stations in Markets #100 - #200 with similar formats are capable of offering near-CD quality audio whereas WRIF and 89X find that task extremely difficult to accomplish?

i listened today for a little bit, it sounds like What WFGR does to their processing, sped up and shit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:37 am 

Greater Media employs the most overpaid, laziest and worst engineers probably in the world. They lounge around all day with their feet on their desks and their fat asses in their cushy chairs. God forbid they might actually have to get up and do "engineering". They make daily sacrifices to the gods hoping and praying Audio Vault doesn't crash. They drop millions on digital state of the art studios and 15k each on those stupid Omnia's and then let these slackers "tweek" them..... and during afternoon drive! RIF deserves what its gets. WBFH sounds better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:15 am 

zeplepplin wrote:
Greater Media employs the most overpaid, laziest and worst engineers probably in the world. They lounge around all day with their feet on their desks and their fat asses in their cushy chairs. God forbid they might actually have to get up and do "engineering". They make daily sacrifices to the gods hoping and praying Audio Vault doesn't crash. They drop millions on digital state of the art studios and 15k each on those stupid Omnia's and then let these slackers "tweek" them..... and during afternoon drive! RIF deserves what its gets. WBFH sounds better.

From another post of yours "MW: I cannot disavow anything you just said. But why spend 15k on a box and not spend the bucks to have it set up properly? Oh, nevermind, it's GreaterMedia"

Booo Hoooo did someone get fired from Greater Media??? Bitter Much?!?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:39 am 

Is Michael Kernen the CE?

Is Milward still working there?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:15 pm 

Last week I was in the car listening to "Drew and Mike". Suddenly, without warning, the volume shot up.At first I thought it had to do with the radio itself, but then I realized it was on their end.It was actually after a commercial break and the engineer delayed the volume tweak after Drew started talking.Nice way to startle people.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:51 pm 

Laziest engineers I've seen:

Hal Buttermore at the old WHYT

Bob "O" at WWJ

Denny Moon at WIOT (whenever there was a problem, Denny's answer was "Shouldn't be!"

Pete Walkowiak, and his much younger "Igor" like, troll assistant at Lew Dickey's stations in Toledo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:10 am 

zeplepplin wrote:

This is awesome! The BIFF always sounds great. Hal Buttermore was our engineer in the day, and he has the place sounding great. One day Gary Burkojerk was in the station. First thing he does is head for the Optimod and start messing with it. The station manager asks him to stop and says "I'll let Hal know you were in there"... Gary closes the door immediately and comes out of the studio. Hal took his time, but he was in control...

As for Greater, I'd have to agree that the engineering culture was somewhat lax. Are they still union? When I worked there, I ran remotes with those guys. I got in trouble once for adjusting the Marti antenna because it was 5 degrees off from the tower and it sounded like shit.

The big fat yard sale guy was always yelling at the skinny ones about working too hard at the remotes. The one thing they did well? Drinking Slurpees in the remote truck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 am 

Was Bill there then?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 am 

zeplepplin wrote:

Perhaps you can enumerate what it is you feel they should be doing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:25 pm 

Perhaps you can enumerate what it is you feel they should be doing.[/quote]

Oh you know. Their JOB!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 pm 

If Bill was largely responsible for WHND 560, then yes, but he never left the workshop. Can you describe him?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:17 pm 

That sounds like Milward.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:56 am 

zeplepplin wrote:

Oh you know. Their JOB!

Such as? If the station has million dollar state of the art studios, I can't quite figure out what they'd be doing. Tape is long gone, so the maintenance of cart machines and tape decks isn't happening. Discrete parts replacement on most modern electronics is impractical, so technical staff is pretty much relegated to board swapping, shipping and receiving. Even if they have the skills, I doubt the station has spent any money on the proper tools to do it. You just don't go digging around on contemporary no-lead boards with your 25 watt Radio Shack soldering iron. Those who do it successfully are probably not working in radio.

I've not set foot in a radio station in 25 years, so enlighten me on what you believe they should be doing or more precisely, what they are failing to do. Perhaps their time is spent dealing with station IT problems or chasing their tails doing promotions work.

As far as the naming of engineering staff by name here, that's poor form considering those doing it are hiding behind their monikers. Nice to see radio talent keeping it classy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:13 am 

Isn't Broadcast Engineering largely IT and Computer Tech stuff these days?

Sure you have the signal to deal with, but I thought that was generally left to the consultants. Even most AM stations are pretty easy to manage now.

It always cracks me up when engineers defend their occupation with "Not the right equipment" defense. I know of many stations that are put together with spit and bailing wire and stay sounding clear and reliable. To mess with the Chain during the day is inexcusable. That's what 3a.m. is for.