Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Sunday, August 10 at 8:00a ET have been activated.  

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 pm 

mikemach wrote:
One morning a few months ago Dan Martin was doing the news and apparently someone was knocking on the front door. Over the air he says "I'm doing the news, I'll be there in a minute!". Apparently they continue to knock and obviously irritated he yell into the mic "I am doing the news, you will have to wait a minute!!!"

You had to hear it for the full effect but it was very funny! Low budget radio at its best.

LOL! I just recalled one incident on WFDF back in the 80's. Les Root was doing the news around 2PM or so. Not sure what happened, but what sounded like a couple hundred sounder carts hit the floor. The crash was incredible! Thankfully, they used Audiopaks, because Fidelipacs would have disintegrated and doubled the length of the crash. The best part was that Les, other than a short giggle in his words, didn't miss a beat. You could faintly hear Bob Olsen busting up in the studio in the background. I was only in the old Phoenix building a few times, but IIRC the newsroom had a window either straight across from the console or over to the side in the air studio. I can only imagine the looks on their faces. I would have busted a gut in that situation for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:21 pm 

[quote="craig11152"][quote="mikemach"]One morning a few months ago Dan Martin was doing the news and apparently someone was knocking on the front door. Over the air he says "I'm doing the news, I'll be there in a minute!". Apparently they continue to knock and obviously irritated he yell into the mic "I am doing the news, you will have to wait a minute!!!"

You had to hear it for the full effect but it was very funny! Low budget radio at its best.[/quote]

:rollin ..... real life WKRP in Cincinnati. :lol:[/quote]

Maybe he should get the Silver Sow Award?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:01 am 

It is not only Dan Martin doing the news, sometimes a guy named Brandon Drake also does it. I have noticed Thayrone also playing more music and stuff during his show, I can imagine it is a challenge trying to fill 3 hours vs. 2.

I remember the silver sow award, I wonder if Dan Martin has taped off his office walls and the floor of the WAAM studio?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 am 

I've also heard Derek Stone (not easy on the ears BTW), but I believe he is usually a board op who was just filling in as newsman.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:42 am 

I loves me some WAAM.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 am 

Whatever happened to WAAM applying for a C.O.L. change to Berkley or something??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:47 pm 

It was Oak Park, and it fell through somehow.

Part of the agreement was WHLX 1590 Marine City had to surrender their license. I'm guessing they would have had decent compensation for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

My guess is the CP was a gimmick in hopes of attracting a buyer for the station at an elevated price. The CP ultimately was allowed to expire.

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Michigan-football-covered-up-rape-allegations-and-threats-of-violence-then-lied-about-it-people-need-to-be-fired-immediately-10-2-4830

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:51 pm 

"It is not only Dan Martin doing the news, sometimes a guy named Brandon Drake also does it."

Drake sounds pretty good.