Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Monday, March 31 at 8:30p ET have been activated.  

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WAAM shakes up schedule
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:17 pm 

Lou Dobbs is gone, Thayrone is now 3-6, and Alex Jones is now airing 11P-1A. Bold move picking up Jones.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:06 am 

IDK who Jones is but I wish this station went back to local and straight "talk" and quit promoting cult-like politics. I imagine this is what you buy into before you start a compound and start referring to yourself as the second coming of Jesus. I dont not have a problem listening to an opposing point of view if its logical, but Thayrone and these Fox news hosts are so brainwashed into hate mongering that its impossible to take seriously. This is why I wont listen anymore. I do listen to the Bone Conduction Music Show and am a fan. Thayrone should stick to that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 am 

I like Thayrone, listen most every day. He does regurgitate lots of Glenn Beck but he also has some good local stuff and yes I am an evil right winger. It is just nice to hear a local guy instead of a syndicated show once in a while. I suppose that is also why I like Drew and Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 pm 

Nothing to do with his politics. Just talking about the person. Thayrone is a flaming asshole.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:02 pm 

they may need more than a reshuffle. word on the street is that he's a couple payments behind on the station. :eek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:46 pm 

It seems advertising has been slowly increasing on the station.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:51 am 
Site Admin

As I recall, current ownership (which includes Thayrone himself) paid a decent premium for the station. Reported sale price was just north of $1 million, which seems excessive in this day & age for a 5,000 watt AM station in market #140-ish, especially when there are 50,000 watt FM stations in much larger markets such as Cleveland trading for only a few million more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:33 pm 

I figured out today the entire afternoon news segment by Dan Martin is taped in advance and repeated. Even the traffic section is not live- only construction is mentioned, no other slowdowns or accidents. Plus, the weather forecast doesn't give a current temperature. The morning news is actually live though because these things are mentioned.

Frankly, taping the news segment and replaying it several times is pathetic. Why even have a traffic report if you don't report accidents?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 pm 

I gave up on WAAM when Ted Heusel took ill and stopped doing a daily show. RIP Ted

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 am 

One morning a few months ago Dan Martin was doing the news and apparently someone was knocking on the front door. Over the air he says "I'm doing the news, I'll be there in a minute!". Apparently they continue to knock and obviously irritated he yell into the mic "I am doing the news, you will have to wait a minute!!!"

You had to hear it for the full effect but it was very funny! Low budget radio at its best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 am 

^ LMAO! :rollin That's great! Maybe he was recording it in the bathroom and someone really had to go. I love small market radio stations. i wish I could stomach WAAM other then the Bone Condution Music Show so I could catch moments like that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 am 

mikemach wrote:
One morning a few months ago Dan Martin was doing the news and apparently someone was knocking on the front door. Over the air he says "I'm doing the news, I'll be there in a minute!". Apparently they continue to knock and obviously irritated he yell into the mic "I am doing the news, you will have to wait a minute!!!"

You had to hear it for the full effect but it was very funny! Low budget radio at its best.

:rollin ..... real life WKRP in Cincinnati. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:43 pm 

It was probably a bill collector...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:53 pm 

When I was living in Grand Rapids in the 90s, one Friday night I tuned in to a high school football game on I believe WFUR. Every couple of minutes you would hear a phone ring and the play-by-play guy would answer it while on the air! I guess it was people from press boxes at other games calling in scores. He'd get the update from the person on the phone and then go back to doing the play-by-play. It was hilarious!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:41 pm 

According to the website he is the only one that does news so the taping of the news doesn't surprise me one bit!