Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dickerson's Call of Cabrera's 500th HR

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Gertner

Re: Dickerson's Call of Cabrera's 500th HR

Post by Gertner » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 pm

I've enjoyed Craig Monroe from the little I've heard. MILES better than Jim Price.

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:17 pm

Well it happened and I missed it, (I was watching the Movie Us on my DVR.) I heard Matt Sheppard's call of it on Youtube. It was terse and to the point, more or less just letting the moment happen. I don't know what the radio call was like?

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:08 pm

sfpcc1 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:17 pm
Well it happened and I missed it, (I was watching the Movie Us on my DVR.) I heard Matt Sheppard's call of it on Youtube. It was terse and to the point, more or less just letting the moment happen. I don't know what the radio call was like?
I thought Shep did a perfect job at the call. Let the viewer soak in the moment with the crowd noise. Perfect.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:19 pm

sfpcc1 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:17 pm
Get on the Tigers Facebook page as they have a video of Dickerson calling it.

I will say that it was great hearing him broadcast it solo and without Jim Price ruining it with WOW, what a buggy whip, yellow hammer, or the art of hitting. Hoping Captain Cliche retires after this season….

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:20 pm

On April 8, 1974, the late Curt Gowdy called out the late Hank Aaron's home run when Curt said "HE DID IT"!!

G G

Post by G G » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:55 am

matt1 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:20 pm
On April 8, 1974, the late Curt Gowdy called out the late Hank Aaron's home run when Curt said "HE DID IT"!!
Dynamite drop-in Matty, that broadcast school has really paid off.
Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:08 pm

The call we've all been waiting for.....
5 HUNDRED !!!!!!!!!!
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/ ... 115275002/
:hat

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Congratulations on reaching the 500 milestone.

OK, so what milestone is next? What number does he have to make to pass the next on the list?

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:03 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:46 pm
Congratulations on reaching the 500 milestone.

OK, so what milestone is next? What number does he have to make to pass the next on the list?
3000 hits. He's at 2955.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:29 am

Realist wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:36 pm
musicfan wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:04 am
Monroe had a FAIR career. A couple of decent seasons in the majors. Listening to him impart his "hall of fame" level wisdom during pregame, or in game broadcast is laughable. Also, when he speaks, he sounds like he just took a drag off a blunt, or he is constipated trying to pinch off a loaf.

As for Price being a part of a 500th home run call...he will probably ruin the moment as he did with Ordonez's dramatic game winning playoff home run, by interrupting Dickerson's enthusiastic call with a series of "WOW's". I'd like to know who within the Tigers organization believe that this man is still relevant. I have yet to hear one ounce of true analysis from him this season (when he is broadcasting).

Dan Dickerson and Matt StatTurd need to switch places. Shephard loves to hear himself talk and his innate penchant to try to impress the viewing audience with his useless statistics and fun facts is more suited for radio. In fact, he would not have to worry about being challenged by a capable color analyst, since all Price is capable of is spewing out clichés, or agreeing with what has just been said.
Price is done for the season because of medical issues. I’m further thinking he won’t be back at all. Petry and Monroe are switching up color duties on the radio for the rest of the season.

Completely agree on Shep and Dickinson needing to switch up duties, although I’ve heard DD wants to stay on the radio. Shep has barely improved in calling the game. Tigers made a major mistake on giving him a 10 year contract 😳😳😳 right off the bat
Price is back. Still mumbling.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:55 am

With 21 more homers, (perhaps by the close of '22) Cabrera will have moved into the Top 20 for MLB career HR leaders. That ascension would take him past some legendary names, Ernie Banks, Ted Williams, Jimmie Foxx and Willie McCovey. With 2,958 hits at the time of this writing, Miggy needs 103 more safeties to take 24th place on the all-time hit list.

There's really no one on the active scene who could roar past him, to any of these milestones. Big $ for lessened production or no, Cabrera is someone to be respected at this point, for the ability to square it up.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:14 pm

DAC wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:29 am
Realist wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:36 pm
musicfan wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:04 am
Monroe had a FAIR career. A couple of decent seasons in the majors. Listening to him impart his "hall of fame" level wisdom during pregame, or in game broadcast is laughable. Also, when he speaks, he sounds like he just took a drag off a blunt, or he is constipated trying to pinch off a loaf.

As for Price being a part of a 500th home run call...he will probably ruin the moment as he did with Ordonez's dramatic game winning playoff home run, by interrupting Dickerson's enthusiastic call with a series of "WOW's". I'd like to know who within the Tigers organization believe that this man is still relevant. I have yet to hear one ounce of true analysis from him this season (when he is broadcasting).

Dan Dickerson and Matt StatTurd need to switch places. Shephard loves to hear himself talk and his innate penchant to try to impress the viewing audience with his useless statistics and fun facts is more suited for radio. In fact, he would not have to worry about being challenged by a capable color analyst, since all Price is capable of is spewing out clichés, or agreeing with what has just been said.
Price is done for the season because of medical issues. I’m further thinking he won’t be back at all. Petry and Monroe are switching up color duties on the radio for the rest of the season.

Completely agree on Shep and Dickinson needing to switch up duties, although I’ve heard DD wants to stay on the radio. Shep has barely improved in calling the game. Tigers made a major mistake on giving him a 10 year contract 😳😳😳 right off the bat
Price is back. Still mumbling.
God help us all.

He needs to retire NOW. He’s nearly 80. The beloved and legendary Ernie Harwell earned the right to stay as long as he did. Jim’s only there because he’s a ass kissing suck up to the Illitch’s

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic