All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Rod Allen

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
jsf

Rod Allen

Post by jsf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:10 am

As if the Tigers weren't a very hard watch I have to put up with the inane Rod telling me the same things over and over. They finally win a game and hit 4 homers off Verlander but they strike out 16 times and Rod is telling me what a GREAT victory this is for the Tigers. I know he is paid by the Tigers but how about a little common sense and stop latching on to something in the first inning and repeating it for the whole game. I remember him as a Tiger player and he was riding the pine most of the time, kinda like Jim Price. The "war stories" seem to get better with age.

DAC

Re: Rod Allen

Post by DAC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm

A lot of the media went a bit overboard describing the win over Verlander. The Detroit News headline read "Tigers Tattoo Verlander." Four home runs is impressive, but I think the Tig's only managed one other hit in the game. "Tattoo" might be a bit strong. So, it's not just Rod on the hype machine. Then again, with the way the team has been in the last 4 or 5 weeks, perhaps just the fact that they won was worth going over the top.

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Allen is famous on The Ticket for his "Second Deck " drop which ,because of his accent , sounds much more salacious . He and the FSD lads are over-the-top homers. Does he still reference his '84 team cameo ?

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 am

handsomebradybreaker wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:00 pm
Allen is famous on The Ticket for his "Second Deck " drop which ,because of his accent , sounds much more salacious . He and the FSD lads are over-the-top homers. Does he still reference his '84 team cameo ?
I haven't noticed that lately. He does mention his time broadcasting for the Diamondbacks pretty frequently, particularly when the Tigers are playing an NL team. Personally, and I know that many disagree, I like Gibby in the booth. Yes, he's monotone and probably sounds pretty boring to the untrained ear (he surely can't be accused of hype :P ). But, his dry sense of humor rewards those who are paying attention and the "Defense, position by position" bit that he did during the recent series against the Rangers was some of the best analysis I've heard in quite some time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic