All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

The downward spiral continues

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
whitebalance
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:46 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by whitebalance » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:34 pm

7 is a faint shadow of it's former self. What an embarrassment from the days of Diana Lewis, Bill Bonds, John Kelly, and others.



User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by SolarMax » Thu May 03, 2018 10:22 pm

Swirling 'round the drain...
Tonight's (Thurs. 5/3) Ten PM 7 Action News on TV20- The "Top Ten" stories list (that trots across the bottom of the screen, so we don't have to guess what they're reporting on) had LAST NIGHT's topics, not todays. Not a single one of the story titles matched the actual story being reported, because it was LAST NIGHT's list. OMFG these people are pathetic. :rolleyes :roll:



handsomebradybreaker
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:15 am

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 am

Yeah,white balance,because Channel 7,like most media outlets,pays execrable salaries to mediocre "talent."



NS8401
Posts: 8712
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by NS8401 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:52 pm

handsomebradybreaker wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 am
Yeah,white balance,because Channel 7,like most media outlets,pays execrable salaries to mediocre "talent."
They probably pay mediocre salaries to mediocre talent... these folks are all they could find...



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5885
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 09, 2018 6:03 pm

7 kicked off its 6p newscast with alarmist weather rhetoric. What a joke. We're only in a marginal risk of severe wx.


Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 3060
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by Bryce » Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:05 am
LOL, the Dunning–Kruger Effect, where the dim perceive themselves as geniuses. It's easy to spot because those experiencing it will generally tell you how smart they are. I see it frequently in other areas of this board as well.
I call it the "Fredo Effect".


~If the left didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all."~

handsomebradybreaker
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:15 am

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Thu May 10, 2018 9:04 am

If they are playing boybands,it means teenage to early twenties chicks are their prime audience.



User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by SolarMax » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am

WXYZ appears to be totally off the rails this morning (Wed 5/16). Missed timings for cutaways from GMA, seeing GMA hosts cutting promos and teases, cutting away from GMA in mid-segment, promos for RTV6 - WRTV Indianapolis (not coincidentally where their hub now is), long takes to black, and more and worse. Go Scripps! :eek :roll:

Breaking News Update:
Well, they seemed to have mostly ironed out those problems sometime after 8am. Back to just the regular mistiming hiccups. At the end of the 8:25 break, Malcom told us they'd be there for two more hours on TV20.



NS8401
Posts: 8712
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by NS8401 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am
WXYZ appears to be totally off the rails this morning (Wed 5/16). Missed timings for cutaways from GMA, seeing GMA hosts cutting promos and teases, cutting away from GMA in mid-segment, promos for RTV6 - WRTV Indianapolis (not coincidentally where their hub now is), long takes to black, and more and worse. Go Scripps! :eek :roll:

Breaking News Update:
Well, they seemed to have mostly ironed out those problems sometime after 8am. Back to just the regular mistiming hiccups. At the end of the 8:25 break, Malcom told us they'd be there for two more hours on TV20.
One wonders how management lets this happen... certain people (editorcj im looking at you) keep blaming the automation... clearly that’s bullshit... under trained and poorly managed is more like it... clearly nobody gives a damn over there...



User avatar
Lester The Nightfly
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm
One wonders how management lets this happen... certain people (editorcj im looking at you) keep blaming the automation... clearly that’s bullshit... under trained and poorly managed is more like it... clearly nobody gives a damn over there...
I don't know that harshing on editiorcj is fair. Even the best show-running automation is wonky at best compared to a control room full of warm bodies.

Fair to say station owners are going to strive for the best ROI on the investment which means you're going to live and die with the acquisition for 5-7 years. If you measure technology in dog years it means unless it's been a recent purchase, the stuff currently running is functionally prehistoric. Are they ponying up for software updates? Sending staff to advanced training?

Yes, under trained and poorly managed plays a big part, but less than not giving a rat's ass about how a program looks in lieu of chasing dollars. Hubbing MC ops is also to blame and much for the same reasons.



BKRPDM
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by BKRPDM » Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Brianne Palmerini just told us about a dilapidated property near LCA that was handled by a ‘REEL-a-TURR’! Ugh....



Editorcj
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by Editorcj » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 pm

One wonders how management lets this happen... certain people (editorcj im looking at you) keep blaming the automation... clearly that’s bullshit... under trained and poorly managed is more like it... clearly nobody gives a damn over there...
I don't know what caused this morning's embarrassing train wreck. The control room is housed in a server in Indianapolis. By doing it that way Scripps got to offer 4 senior engineers early retirement buyouts at channel 7 a few years ago.



User avatar
Big Signal
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:46 pm
Location: Southeast Michigan

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by Big Signal » Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 pm

I don't watch local news, I haven't in several years. I don't have to put up with the aggravation of watching the lack of credibility. I can get all my NEWS and Weather information from other sources.


It's all about the money!

User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by SolarMax » Wed May 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Big Signal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 pm
I don't watch local news, I haven't in several years. I don't have to put up with the aggravation of watching the lack of credibility. I can get all my NEWS and Weather information from other sources.
So what, don't care.
This particular discussion is about ongoing technical incompetence and management shortcomings, not about content or perceived credibility of the NEWS (caps yours).



NS8401
Posts: 8712
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by NS8401 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm
One wonders how management lets this happen... certain people (editorcj im looking at you) keep blaming the automation... clearly that’s bullshit... under trained and poorly managed is more like it... clearly nobody gives a damn over there...
I don't know that harshing on editiorcj is fair. Even the best show-running automation is wonky at best compared to a control room full of warm bodies.

Fair to say station owners are going to strive for the best ROI on the investment which means you're going to live and die with the acquisition for 5-7 years. If you measure technology in dog years it means unless it's been a recent purchase, the stuff currently running is functionally prehistoric. Are they ponying up for software updates? Sending staff to advanced training?

Yes, under trained and poorly managed plays a big part, but less than not giving a rat's ass about how a program looks in lieu of chasing dollars. Hubbing MC ops is also to blame and much for the same reasons.
How do we explain fewer problems at other stations with similar setups?



Tman
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:01 am

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by Tman » Thu May 17, 2018 5:33 am

I still can't figure out why they block the bottom right sport scores with the circle 7 logo consistently . Some one here said it's the networks fault . Well how stupid is that ? Is there no communication with the network .



handsomebradybreaker
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:15 am

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 am

Is Brianne Palmerini a buxom blonde ?If so,guess the TWO reasons she's on 7!!!!!



NS8401
Posts: 8712
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by NS8401 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:22 am

handsomebradybreaker wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 am
Is Brianne Palmerini a buxom blonde ?If so,guess the TWO reasons she's on 7!!!!!
No and no...



User avatar
Lester The Nightfly
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun May 20, 2018 5:51 am

NS8401 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 am
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:42 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm
One wonders how management lets this happen... certain people (editorcj im looking at you) keep blaming the automation... clearly that’s bullshit... under trained and poorly managed is more like it... clearly nobody gives a damn over there...
I don't know that harshing on editiorcj is fair. Even the best show-running automation is wonky at best compared to a control room full of warm bodies.

Fair to say station owners are going to strive for the best ROI on the investment which means you're going to live and die with the acquisition for 5-7 years. If you measure technology in dog years it means unless it's been a recent purchase, the stuff currently running is functionally prehistoric. Are they ponying up for software updates? Sending staff to advanced training?

Yes, under trained and poorly managed plays a big part, but less than not giving a rat's ass about how a program looks in lieu of chasing dollars. Hubbing MC ops is also to blame and much for the same reasons.
How do we explain fewer problems at other stations with similar setups?
Because you’re looking at a small sample size. Get outside the city limits, travel around this fine country of ours and you’ll see crappy production values are pretty much the norm these days.



User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: The downward spiral continues

Post by rugratsonline » Sun May 20, 2018 8:03 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:08 pm
Big Signal wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 pm
I don't watch local news, I haven't in several years. I don't have to put up with the aggravation of watching the lack of credibility. I can get all my NEWS and Weather information from other sources.
So what, don't care.
This particular discussion is about ongoing technical incompetence and management shortcomings, not about content or perceived credibility of the NEWS (caps yours).
Personally, while the quality of news varies from station to station, it's the packaging and talent that turns me off from watching news on TV, combined with the technicalities behind the scenes. It's far removed from the days when the types of Walter Cronkite delivered the news on TV, and when every station had a fully-equipped, fully-staffed master control.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic