All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Why WAAM Went Silent

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
LouPerry

Re: Why WAAM Went Silent

Post by LouPerry » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:26 am

MWmetalhead…WAAM does compete with WJR but has an advantage for the market – Local news and weather that's different than metro Detroit and that's what local radio should do. Dan Martin has been the news guy for years and knows the players in Washtenaw. Frankly some of his newscasts lean right but that's okay for the station overall.

WJR always comes up as #1 or #2 but I don't believe it. First I've never met anyone in Washtenaw who actually listens to WJR; maybe I talk to the wrong people and maybe Rush still holds. I do talk with people west of Zeeb Rd. where the culture changes and I do go to Chelsea one in a while. I really think many think they are listening to WJR – The call letters are like the brand Kleenex. Some might even think Michigan Football is still on JR. I do run into people in A2 who listen to Mitch Albom only but I don't think that gets the numbers. As I think I've mentioned previously people In the 1990's would call into WJR thinking they were listening to WJR-FM when the really were listening to WDET-FM.

I don't know about 107.1 WQKL blasting but it's played in almost every retailer in the market. Being the pain in the neck I ask do you know what station you're listening to and most have no idea. I've recommended to Chris Ammel, PD to increase frequency of dial/call letters being a little harder or even get a strong jingle package.

I do think WWWW over-modulates but I probably don't know what I'm talking about; you understand the technology much more than I do. I live on the west side of A2 just past Weber's Inn. My house radio is a Garmin wood tabletop AM/FM/Shortwave with FM and shortwave antenna. Past about 100. dial position I cannot get anything but WWWW. I'm able to get WUOM and stations in lower dial positions. I cannot get 107.2 easily because of W4. Also initially I questioned how can a Country station be #1 local commercial station in Washtenaw. That initially showed me a different audience beyond public radio.

DeltaDawn

Post by DeltaDawn » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi Lou - this question(s) is for you:

I'm not a radio person so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. You said you "programmed the station." Does this mean you are the one that chose the program line-up at WAAM? If so, when did you do this and are you also talking about the weekend shows which seem to be mostly local show hosts? I listen to WAAM on occasion and I always thought that the owners Thayrone and Linda were responsible for the station's shows and the times they air. Thayrone has often said on air that he hates program directors, consultants, etc. so it seems that he and Linda would be the ones that "programmed" their station.

Thanks

redmed

Post by redmed » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:36 am

LouPerry wrote:MWmetalhead…WAAM does compete with WJR but has an advantage for the market – Local news and weather that's different than metro Detroit and that's what local radio should do. Dan Martin has been the news guy for years and knows the players in Washtenaw. Frankly some of his newscasts lean right but that's okay for the station overall.

WJR always comes up as #1 or #2 but I don't believe it. First I've never met anyone in Washtenaw who actually listens to WJR; maybe I talk to the wrong people and maybe Rush still holds. I do talk with people west of Zeeb Rd. where the culture changes and I do go to Chelsea one in a while. I really think many think they are listening to WJR – The call letters are like the brand Kleenex. Some might even think Michigan Football is still on JR. I do run into people in A2 who listen to Mitch Albom only but I don't think that gets the numbers. As I think I've mentioned previously people In the 1990's would call into WJR thinking they were listening to WJR-FM when the really were listening to WDET-FM.

I don't know about 107.1 WQKL blasting but it's played in almost every retailer in the market. Being the pain in the neck I ask do you know what station you're listening to and most have no idea. I've recommended to Chris Ammel, PD to increase frequency of dial/call letters being a little harder or even get a strong jingle package.

I do think WWWW over-modulates but I probably don't know what I'm talking about; you understand the technology much more than I do. I live on the west side of A2 just past Weber's Inn. My house radio is a Garmin wood tabletop AM/FM/Shortwave with FM and shortwave antenna. Past about 100. dial position I cannot get anything but WWWW. I'm able to get WUOM and stations in lower dial positions. I cannot get 107.2 easily because of W4. Also initially I questioned how can a Country station be #1 local commercial station in Washtenaw. That initially showed me a different audience beyond public radio.
I live in the NW Metro Detroit area (Perry, MI) I listen to WJR most of the day in my workshop because it comes in strong and yes I listen to Rush & Savage. But Mitch Albom is why I found WAAM.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:28 am

WCWA (AM) in T-Town also has quite a bit of music (brokered) on Saturday mornings, and it sounds fairly decent, as well as being on the FM-HD2 in stereo; niche music on AM, to me, seems like a cheap way to get your musical show on the air.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:39 pm

DeltaDawn… I'd say in the early 2000's. Since then Linda has made some changes but that's when it became a conservative talk station. Just previous I did a fixer upper for Kovas Communications four Ft. Wayne stations to be sold. GM and Sales Manager at WAAM came over from CC in Ann Arbor – Now Cumulus. The station was owned by a media holding company Big D who bought it hoping to bring it into the Detroit market; FCC wouldn't approve. During that time they brought in two different retired radio guys trying to make the station stronger and profitable. The second consultant hired me to be programming consultant.

Think the former owner was Whitehall who owned a funeral home and the station was programmed with mish-mash. Ted Heusel was the cornerstone of the stations programming and continued up until his death.

Frankly I'm not good at remembering names so please excuse me.

I thought the station had to have a singular personality. The call letters were very well known. Did some analysis of the market and what JR was doing saw local conservative talk (not crazy talk) was a niche'. Rush and Hannity aren't allowed to stream from WJR and with an AM signal you need streaming to get indoor ears like high-rises and buildings with sealed windows.

First big move was to get Glenn Beck. Back then wasn't radical, was fun different than today although he's softened again as have Savage and Ingram – Thery needed to – Hard conservative talk doesn't work any longer nationally. Then Laura Ingram who came to the station and broadcasted from studios. We had Savage in the evenings but had to give him up because WJR wanted him. Should be said these syndicated shows did not cost anything. They aired with their own avails within their show.

Thayrone who was doing his Saturday night music show that previously was on one the four Ann Arbor CC stations and I think before that on one of the two NPR stations. I thought his show could be brought to major markets but he didn't want to work at it. He was also given I think morning drive. We then hired away Lucy Ann Lance to do mornings. Thayrone went to afternoon drive.

Linda and Thayrone have good reason not to like consultants, etc. More than once Big D was highly critical of Thayrone's talk program. They don't need outside help and they know their market. Linda run's a great radio station and does not need someone else to tell them what to do.

News department was two full-time anchors and a few other part-timers weekends and I think evenings. Local news was very important v. WJR.

Overnights we had Joey Reynolds and his show brought a lot of calls from our area including Art Vuolo calling in often. Station carried Ann Arbor high school's football games. Monday the play-by-play guys would have a sports talk program. One of the guys owns a bunch of McDonald's so McDonald's was the sponsor.

Weekends early mornings were some other or re-run syndicated shows and one a music product. Church service every Sunday morning. Everything else was purchased block programming including lawyers, real estate, art and more. I had a Saturday morning talk show focused on local stuff. It wasn't political but hard facts. Some of the interviews were picked up by Ann Arbor News and WXYZ-TV.

When the holding company couldn't move they put the station up for sale and at the same time striped the station of GM and talent. Lucy Anne was fired and I was fired too. My talk show moved over to WLBY.

CC was not allowed to own since they already had 4 stations in the market. Think WAAM was up for sale for about a year with price going down. I have no knowledge about Linda's purchase. Up until this point Linda was producing Thayrone shows and selling for the station also.

And as I've said I have a very high regard for her.

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:10 pm

I also remember the Detroit Lions games being on WAAM within the last 15 or so years.

Dan Martin seems to be a likeable guy.

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:33 pm

mikemach wrote:I also remember the Detroit Lions games being on WAAM within the last 15 or so years.

Dan Martin seems to be a likeable guy.
Both true.

DeltaDawn

Post by DeltaDawn » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks for the info!

Do you listen to any of the local shows aired on the weekend? And if so, what are your thoughts.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:59 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:53 am
WAAM fills a void. The most listened to station in the A2 market is WUOM. The #2 station is Country W4. Vacant programming makes a lot of sense. Outside core UofM/Ann Arbor Washtenaw is a more conservative area.
I agree that rural & exurban areas of Washtenaw County are quite conservative, not at all unlike Livingston County.

Isn't WAAM basically going after many of the same listeners as 760 WJR in that region?

When WAAM's numbers used to be published, they were usually around a 1.5 share in ages 12+. I suspect their demos are predominantly age 55+.

In Ann Arbor, WUOM is always the #1 station by a mile, with 760 WJR usually a distant second, and W4 & Channel 955 usually fighting for third. WRIF often makes the top five.

Bill Bennett acted like a whiny bitch on the air when Obama was reelected. As he ages, his voice is becoming increasingly less radio-friendly. I can tell he used to be a heavy smoker (not a very virtuous habit, in my opinion). I prefer his Salem counterpart, Michael Medved.

I do have to ask Lou a question: does 107.1 WQKL still interfere with almost everything & anything near downtown Ann Arbor? Could not believe how much interference that station wreaked on other stations in the area when I was a student at U-M.
I can still answer your question to Lou, and it is a resounding "YES!"
You can forget anything about 106.7 as you hit State Street. 97.1 also gets staticky around Packard and State, and 94.7 starts losing steam around there as well. Stations largely unaffected by the 107.1 stick are WRIF and The Bounce.

Ironically, WIOT is no worse for wear in downtown A2. State and Packard seems to be the dividing line.

Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 am

93.1 always used to be flimsy around town, especially on the west end and around central campus/downtown. Is that still the case today?

105.1 always delivered a great signal to the area, as I recall. Ditto for 105.9, 104.3, 101.9 and 98.7. I never had an issue picking up 97.1, either. Almost crystal clear except during extreme DX-ing conditions.

89X was flimsy and was awful anywhere near & east of US-23 thanks to WEMU.

Of course, I lived in town long before HD Radio and its interference inducing digital hash became a "thing."

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:50 am

Funny reading this 3 years later. Linda has recently passed away and I think Thayrone may be running things now. I was just listening on my way to work this morning and I believe someone was asleep at the switch. The Steve Gruber show is simulcast from the Lansing area and around 7:45 at a commercial break the call letters and ads from the Lansing station were being broadcast on WAAM, was kind of weird. I listen fairly frequently in the mornings and problems like this are not at all uncommon. I am not sure why, but I am fond of the mom and pop aspect of this station.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 am
93.1 always used to be flimsy around town, especially on the west end and around central campus/downtown. Is that still the case today?

105.1 always delivered a great signal to the area, as I recall. Ditto for 105.9, 104.3, 101.9 and 98.7. I never had an issue picking up 97.1, either. Almost crystal clear except during extreme DX-ing conditions.

89X was flimsy and was awful anywhere near & east of US-23 thanks to WEMU.

Of course, I lived in town long before HD Radio and its interference inducing digital hash became a "thing."
Yes, as Kid Rock "All Summer Long" plays on Gnash-FM, I'm getting fading at Hill and Packard.
At Liberty and Fifth, my strongest signals are:

Kiss-FM, Alt and Hot are all non existent. Strangely, I'm getting near perfect coverage of 94.9, 95.3, 97.5, 98.3 (which is NOT Nash Icon), 99.1, 99.9, 100.7, and 101.5. Strange to be getting Lansing, Toledo and Lenawee County FM's while some Detroit signals are struggling downtown.

88.7 still sounds good, even though I'm a stone's throw from 88.3 WCBN.

"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 pm

I forgot about WJLB! They indeed deliver a very good signal to A2. Ditto 103.5.

IBOC interference must be toying with reception of WDMK (105.9) these days. Back when everything was analog-only, they always came in strongly for me. Too strong for my liking; made it nearly impossible to hear Q106!

On 98.3, I suspect you were picking up the Home.FM translator from Chelsea.

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 pm

I get surprisingly good coverage of Q106 all around town. It fades here and there, but I'd say 85-90% of the time, it's in like a local. The 105.9/106.1 first adjacent problem is akin to the 102.7/102.9 issue. Except 102.9 is local. But today, the Saginaw's, Lansing's and (apparently) Chelsea's were pounding in. Even downtown, I had WIOG with nearby city grade coverage.

That's the beauty of living in a place like Ann Arbor. Except for Bob and Tom on Q106 and WIOT simultaneously, it seems just about every dial position offers something. And now that warmer weather is coming, I can finally DX around here.

"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Floydianslip

Post by Floydianslip » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:56 pm

I didn't see it brought up but Linda Hughes passed away on 3/15/2018

ScratchStormy

Post by ScratchStormy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:35 pm

mikemach wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:50 am
Funny reading this 3 years later. Linda has recently passed away and I think Thayrone may be running things now. I was just listening on my way to work this morning and I believe someone was asleep at the switch. The Steve Gruber show is simulcast from the Lansing area and around 7:45 at a commercial break the call letters and ads from the Lansing station were being broadcast on WAAM, was kind of weird. I listen fairly frequently in the mornings and problems like this are not at all uncommon. I am not sure why, but I am fond of the mom and pop aspect of this station.

The Gruber feed on the TieLine box had gone down, so WAAM was carrying the feed from the WJIM website, which doesn't line up with the clock-hours exactly because of timing on webstream vs tieline. It also doesn't fire the automation, but other work still needs to be done away from the board, that is normally done whilst relying on automation to handling things. So no...not asleep at the switch...actually trying to juggle to many responsibilities during an equipment failure.

dbm

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Tue May 01, 2018 6:35 am

ScratchStormy wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:35 pm
mikemach wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:50 am

The Gruber feed on the TieLine box had gone down, so WAAM was carrying the feed from the WJIM website, which doesn't line up with the clock-hours exactly because of timing on webstream vs tieline. It also doesn't fire the automation, but other work still needs to be done away from the board, that is normally done whilst relying on automation to handling things. So no...not asleep at the switch...actually trying to juggle to many responsibilities during an equipment failure.

dbm
My apologies! Not only were you not asleep, you were doing what had to be done to keep things going. Thanks for explaining things.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 am

LouPerry wrote:
Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:26 am
MWmetalhead…WAAM does compete with WJR but has an advantage for the market – Local news and weather that's different than metro Detroit and that's what local radio should do. Dan Martin has been the news guy for years and knows the players in Washtenaw. Frankly some of his newscasts lean right but that's okay for the station overall.

WWWW is a friggin monster. I remember growing up in Sumpter Twp, it was THE strongest station around. You could pick it up with a thumbtack. It does very well to cover ALL of Washtenaw county (and more, especially before 102.7 Mt. Clemens went HD)

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu May 03, 2018 10:36 am

W4, in it's pre-W4 rock days, it had a nice signal into Toledo many a day before the band got clogged-up and rock turned into country.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu May 03, 2018 11:19 am

WOHO wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:36 am
W4, in it's pre-W4 rock days, it had a nice signal into Toledo many a day before the band got clogged-up and rock turned into country.
I miss WIQB! used to listen daily on the bus rides to and from school. Going home one day noticed it was country, I mourned.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic