(Message from M.W. as of 4/15/2018): The Buzzboard has made its triumphant return to the Tapatalk mobile app! Thanks everyone for your patience. All new acct registrations in the queue as of 4/15 at 8:15a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

New Samsung Phones Will Have An Active FM Radio Chip

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SixPlusOne

New Samsung Phones Will Have An Active FM Radio Chip

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 am

Courtesy: The Verge

New Samsung Phones In The US And Canada Will Have An Active FM Radio Chip

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/11/1687 ... -us-canada

"The beloved FM radio is getting a mobile revival with news that Samsung is teaming up with NextRadio to unlock the FM chips in new Samsung devices in the US and Canada. There are no hardware changes, as FM receivers are already present in most smartphones — it’s just not all smartphone makers activate them."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: New Samsung Phones Will Have An Active FM Radio Chip

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 am

I have last year's model; it has an active chip. I've only used it 3 or 4 times.

Why bother when I have Pandora, Sirius XM, etc. all accessible via phone?

Data is much cheaper today than a few years ago.
Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

LouPerry

Post by LouPerry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 am

About time.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:29 am

This is the first step into convincing me to finally upgrade from the Galaxy S5.
An actual useful feature!!
Music is my life!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Yeah, but the Galaxy 5 is the last Samsung Galaxy with both a removable battery and removable memory so you can avoid the locked-up meltdowns and reboots. Unfortunately, Verizon has a neutered version of it, while the other vendors didn't drop it. I wouldn't mind having the feature, but I use old technology until it doesn't work anymore.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Oh yikes, I wasnt aware they took away removable battery and memory in the S6 and beyond.
Well now I am glad i did not upgrade. and I will stay with the S5 until something much bigger comes along besides FM radio... which we all can get apps for anyways on any device.
Music is my life!

brianp48093

Post by brianp48093 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 am

I wish all phones had the FM chip installed and ready to go. I work in construction and listen to FM via Tune In Pro which works good. However, it sucks a lot of battery and 99% of my day, I cannot get to a charger. It would be awesome to get a full day of juice while listening to music! I have an HTC 10 with an unlocked bootloader and a custom OS. Perfect phone except for no FM radio!!!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 pm

brianp48093 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 am
I wish all phones had the FM chip installed and ready to go. I work in construction and listen to FM via Tune In Pro which works good. However, it sucks a lot of battery and 99% of my day, I cannot get to a charger. It would be awesome to get a full day of juice while listening to music! I have an HTC 10 with an unlocked bootloader and a custom OS. Perfect phone except for no FM radio!!!
It's not like an FM radio won't be draining your battery, too, just maybe not quite as much as an always-on data connection.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 pm

WOHO wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm
Yeah, but the Galaxy 5 is the last Samsung Galaxy with both a removable battery and removable memory so you can avoid the locked-up meltdowns and reboots. Unfortunately, Verizon has a neutered version of it, while the other vendors didn't drop it. I wouldn't mind having the feature, but I use old technology until it doesn't work anymore.
Technically, your comment is correct in terms of "both".....but the 7 and 8 both have removable micro SD cards. I use mine all the time on my 8, and moved it there from the 7.

Hard reset can be accomplished by long press on a couple button combinations.....and you can also boot to recover mode via a similar process.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 am

SolarMax wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 pm
brianp48093 wrote:
It's not like an FM radio won't be draining your battery, too, just maybe not quite as much as an always-on data connection.
NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

FM radio has the lowest power consumption, then WIFI, then 4G. You'll get hours more usable time by using FM radio.

This test says you'll get 48 hours on FM radio and JUST 6 hours on Cell based streaming.
https://garfors.com/2013/08/media-broad ... ming-html/
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Inundated

Re: RE: Re: New Samsung Phones Will Have An Active FM Radio Chip

Post by Inundated » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 am

audiophile wrote:
SolarMax wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 pm
brianp48093 wrote:
NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

FM radio has the lowest power consumption, then WIFI, then 4G. You'll get hours more usable time by using FM radio.

This test says you'll get 48 hours on FM radio and JUST 6 hours on Cell based streaming.
https://garfors.com/2013/08/media-broad ... ming-html/
The test involved DAB digital radio in Norway.

I would expect analog FM on smartphones in the US to possibly be better.

Anecdotally, on my own Moto E4 and its predecessor the Moto G4 Play, FM uses a LOT less battery than streaming. I haven't run the numbers, though.

This is using the built-in FM radio app on the phone. I don't know how using NextRadio's app would affect things, if at all.

brianp48093

Post by brianp48093 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:15 pm

I have the Moto G4 Play as my spare phone. I've used it a few times with the built in radio and the battery life was absurdly longer than data stream. All day long battery life without even trying!! I'm thinking of making my next high end phone one that has a working FM chip.

Unfortunately, it will probably be a model with a locked bootloader. Sucks to have to sacrifice one thing for another....with how many new phones come out monthly, somebody can't build a flagship phone that isn't neutered, locked or restricted?

Just one fully usable, flagship phone? With a removable battery, unlocked bootloader, all US bands, FM chip, memory card and waterproof in a one handed operation size??? Is that too much to ask??

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 pm

Next stop, licensing arrangement for Ibiquity in-band digital reception. For. Every. Phone.

I like how it was framed as a "public service" argument, but how many FM stations would actually stay on the air in *that* kind of emergency? They all monitor WJR anyway, which seems a little absent from the FM demod chip.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:35 am

COSTCO is selling a Moto unlocked phone for all 4 carriers just over $200. Anyone know if this has the 'FM Chip' still active, even if you activate on Verizon? Wonder if you can buy it now and activate it later when your current phone goes afloat?

Inundated

Re: RE: Re: New Samsung Phones Will Have An Active FM Radio Chip

Post by Inundated » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 am

WOHO wrote:COSTCO is selling a Moto unlocked phone for all 4 carriers just over $200. Anyone know if this has the 'FM Chip' still active, even if you activate on Verizon? Wonder if you can buy it now and activate it later when your current phone goes afloat?
All recent Moto models have active FM chips, on all models. Even the Verizon prepaid variants have FM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic