Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 5-23-2017 at 5:15p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

106.7 The Beat?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
1027BrianFM

106.7 The Beat?

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:43 am

:?: :?:
The All new 102.7 Brian FM... the one all the others will be listening to...

BKRPDM

Re: 106.7 The Beat?

Post by BKRPDM » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:37 am

So, will that make the number of stations that play Tupac and Biggie up to 7 now (92.3, 97.9, 106.7, 105.1, 105.9, 107.5, 95.5)? Ugh...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:16 am

Hasn't that URL been active this whole time? There's an Urban station by the same name in Columbus, OH.

My conclusion: nothing to see here, folks.
102.9 The Hog in Milwaukee KICKS ASS!!! Love the 90's weekends. (The playlist during the work week is damn good, too!)

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:58 am

Fact or BS its on here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WDTW-FM

Of course Wikipedia can be loose with the facts but It wouldn't shock me if IHeart actually were to do it, because well.. there I-heart. Anyone's guess is as good as any.
The All new 102.7 Brian FM... the one all the others will be listening to...

kbg

Post by kbg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:16 am

1027BrianFM wrote:Fact or BS its on here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WDTW-FM

Of course Wikipedia can be loose with the facts but It wouldn't shock me if IHeart actually were to do it, because well.. there I-heart. Anyone's guess is as good as any.
wikipedia? I say BS. That edit was made a few weeks ago. Someone having fun maybe

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:40 am

Agreed.

iHeart already controls a lion's share of urban radio ratings & ad revenue - and they reach 2.5x - 3x the Urban audience that WMGC reaches. I bet the goofball who used to post here as "313" wrote that. There's no need to resort to the suicide squeeze strategy on 105.1's account.

Better plays for 106.7 would be Variety Hits, Classic Hits, News/Talk, or keeping/tweaking the current format and investing in better air talent.

I will say this - Radio One is getting killed here. WCHB is a disaster. Praise 102.7 is an afterthought to advertisers (at best). Hot 107.5 reaches predominantly young African American men with little money, and their already soft ratings (outside of black men 18-34) have taken a hit thanks to WMGC. WDMK had a bad year ratings wise in 2016 but is reasonably well programmed and is Radio One's most durable brand locally.

I continue to believe Beasley will add properties to its portfolio here in the Detroit market. They'll either add the Cumulus stations or the Radio One stations. The Cumulus stations would be ideal. Do I need to explain the reasons? Just in case, here they are:
--WJR. Perfect landing spot for Drew Lane should Beasley wish to hire him. Would make Beasley even more formidable with middle aged men. Combining WJR with WCSX and WRIF would make Beasley a great contender for sports play-by-play rights.
--WDVD. Would greatly expand cume under the Beasley umbrella. Beasley's existing stations have minimal appeal to suburban white women. I think Beasley could likely do a better job programming this station than Cumulus and wage a spirited battle with WNIC.
--Doug FM. Robby Bridges has done about as good of a job as one could expect with his limited budget and the mandate to clear Cumulus' crappy "Nash" content. A 3.0 share is pretty much this station's top-side limit with those constraints, and it's already at that mark. Remove the Cumulus shackles and go local in morning drive and I bet this station could easily add another 0.6 to 0.8 shares to its full week 6+ numbers. A strong Country station + a strong (quasi) Hot AC station would give Beasley a nice share of female-oriented ad dollars.

If I'm not mistaken, under such a scenario, Beasley would have to divest absolutely nothing locally. They'd be able to keep all of their existing stations + all three Cumulus stations. The only question is whether or not Cumulus would insist on a bundled deal that includes their other Michigan markets (Flint, Tri-Cities, Grand Rapids, Muskegon) + Toledo. I doubt Beasley would be interested in any of those markets with the potential exception of Grand Rapids. They might hold their nose and say "yes," only to turn around and sell the stations in the shitty markets to someone else.
102.9 The Hog in Milwaukee KICKS ASS!!! Love the 90's weekends. (The playlist during the work week is damn good, too!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic