(Message from M.W. as of 4/15/2018): The Buzzboard has made its triumphant return to the Tapatalk mobile app! Thanks everyone for your patience. All new acct registrations in the queue as of 4/15 at 8:15a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

DAY OF DOOM

A place to showcase the very best threads on the Buzzboard.
olddj

DAY OF DOOM

Post by olddj » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:57 pm

If you work at a Cumulus station. Friday the 6th is the new 13th. Watch out for the blood spatter.

MakeMeSmile

It's too bad really

Post by MakeMeSmile » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:19 pm

I heard another 12 or so possibly? Mostly programming, some not. Anyone like me who still has hopes of truly "getting in" to radio is friggin stupid. Business is all but washed up. If this happens, my friend told me it will be over 20 just from cumulus alone in the last four months. I dont get it. thanks specs howard, I want my money back.

iknowwhoyouare

Post by iknowwhoyouare » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:39 am

well if there is blood comming, thats too bad, but on a better note, it looks like cumulus rehired Ryan young after blowing him out a few weeks back,

the promo czar Brittany B, quit and took another job somewhere so they went back to Ryan...

MakeMeSmile

Post by MakeMeSmile » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:03 am

you watch though, the smoke will clear and people like summer teeth and london bridges will still have a job.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:46 am

iknowwhoyouare wrote:well if there is blood comming, thats too bad, but on a better note, it looks like cumulus rehired Ryan young after blowing him out a few weeks back,

the promo czar Brittany B, quit and took another job somewhere so they went back to Ryan...

Brittany (the hottie!) took a marketing gig with First Solar. Her recent Masters Degree is now being put to good use.

***SPOILER ALERT***
(for MakeMeSmile)

I have been emailed an unofficial/alleged list this morning by a reliable source inside Arlington...

Ron Sobzak - WRQN PM drive
Kelly Carter - WRQN, Traffic
Hugh McPherson - WXKR/WTOD/WLQR Sales Mgr, own accord
Tod Crabtree - APD/Producer, WLQR/WTOD
Jason Griffin - WLQR part-time
Tom Watkins - WTOD AM Host, own accord.
Leon - Cluster "Night Watchman"
Rick Armentrout - WXKR/WKKO board op, part-time

Also a few in sales.

Allegedly all part-timers have been cut back to minimum wage.

Reading AllAccess... quite a number of Cumulus cuts occurring today as well.
Last edited by AMFMTV on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:24 am, edited 9 times in total.

MakeMeSmile

Post by MakeMeSmile » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:46 am

I am sure the people you listed are thrilled to find out from you ahead of time since the meetings mostly haven't happened yet. How about writing ***spoiler alert*** or something.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:12 am

Most on the list already know. I know for a fact two of them do, aside from the voluntary ones.

I used ALLEGED. It is what it is.

Kevin Murphy

Post by Kevin Murphy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:45 am

Sad. Radio in general is just a shell of its former self. If you thought radio in Toledo sucked ass before...just wait.

MakeMeSmile

Post by MakeMeSmile » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:55 am

Hey Cumulus. Way to keep your information confidential. And way to pick the right people to get rid of. I can think of numerous people that should have gone, however you picked people that either actually worked hard or meant nothing to the station as far as hours go. Nice work, well done. I consider myself a mouth piece for someone at that cluster and according to them, you have screwed the pooch. Corporate may have told them how much money they had to cut, but management in the building decided who. Wrong choice.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:31 pm

MakeMeSmile wrote:Hey Cumulus. Way to keep your information confidential. And way to pick the right people to get rid of. I can think of numerous people that should have gone, however you picked people that either actually worked hard or meant nothing to the station as far as hours go. Nice work, well done. I consider myself a mouth piece for someone at that cluster and according to them, you have screwed the pooch. Corporate may have told them how much money they had to cut, but management in the building decided who. Wrong choice.
MakeMeSmile, you admit in an earlier post on this very thread that you don't work in radio. In fact, haven't ever. Thus, in your non-professional opinion how can you cite who deserves to be let go and who doesn't?

In my opinion, no one deserves to be let go due to budgets. But that's the business. A ledger sheet is what makes or breaks keeping a gig, unfortunately. And the deciding factor is also do the people being retained facilitate the running of the business, ie MUST have them, like a business manager, or a morning team that brings in more revenue than they are costing the company, ie Shores & Steele. Simple economics.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Kevin Murphy wrote:Sad. Radio in general is just a shell of its former self. If you thought radio in Toledo sucked ass before...just wait.
Agreed. Clear Channel has massive programming cuts still to come. Rumor is April, and possibly July as well. especially with the 15 national formats being rolled out before Spring book. Hopefully it's not as bad as rumored.

MakeMeSmile

Post by MakeMeSmile » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:28 pm

AMFMTV wrote:
MakeMeSmile wrote:Hey Cumulus. Way to keep your information confidential. And way to pick the right people to get rid of. I can think of numerous people that should have gone, however you picked people that either actually worked hard or meant nothing to the station as far as hours go. Nice work, well done. I consider myself a mouth piece for someone at that cluster and according to them, you have screwed the pooch. Corporate may have told them how much money they had to cut, but management in the building decided who. Wrong choice.
MakeMeSmile, you admit in an earlier post on this very thread that you don't work in radio. In fact, haven't ever. Thus, in your non-professional opinion how can you cite who deserves to be let go and who doesn't?

In my opinion, no one deserves to be let go due to budgets. But that's the business. A ledger sheet is what makes or breaks keeping a gig, unfortunately. And the deciding factor is also do the people being retained facilitate the running of the business, ie MUST have them, like a business manager, or a morning team that brings in more revenue than they are costing the company, ie Shores & Steele. Simple economics.

I am very close with nurmerous people in both buildings, I just never made it in. I know gossip you wish you knew.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:30 pm

so, will Cumulus be totally "unmanned" during the night time hours? Pretty stupid move not to have at least one person there to help out with any automation meltdowns and EAS issues after 7pm?
Wow - Who's left at Arlington?
Did Lew Dickey take a pay cut?

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 pm

WOHO
Wow - Who's left at Arlington?

STAR - Web only lists Morrisson (middays) and Billy Bush (nights) as "personalities", but I know Ron Finn and Lyn Caseye do AM drive.

Who does PM drive @ STAR? Is that now part of Ryan's duties?

WRQN - AM drive live, middays tracked by Finn. PM drive? Nights?

K100 - live AM drive thru PM drive. Nights syndicated "CMT Radio Live"

WXKR - live AM drive thru PM drive. Lyn tracks nights.

ZONE - More music AM drive, live middays and PM drive. Nights were tracked by Kelly Carter.

Tower - Syndicated AM drive, middays tracked, live PM drive & Nights. Don't need live middays on a CHR. Kids are in school 9 months out of the year.

WTOD - Satellite fed. save for live weekend brokered programming

WLQR - ESPN, except for PM drive with Norm

Library formats (WXKR, WRQN) don't "need" to be live given the demos. Most aren't listening to radio at night. Don't get me wrong, I'll take as much live as I can get. Push comes to shove, nights get tracked/syndicated on library formats.

All in all...not that bad. There's markets where there is even more syndication and voicetracking.

arbholder

Post by arbholder » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Johny is in talks with Cumulus to either do Star or RQN PM Drive. Possibly both.

watchin'

Post by watchin' » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Johny is in talks with Cumulus to either do Star or RQN PM Drive. Possibly both.
Now that's funny. Johny couldn't get a job as a dirty sock.

With all the Cumulus lay-offs, I'm sure they're not talking with anyone.

siriusXM

Post by siriusXM » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:12 pm

AMFMTV wrote:
I have been emailed an unofficial/alleged list this morning by a reliable source inside Arlington...

Judy Carroll - Administrative Assistant

Also a few in sales.

Allegedly all part-timers have been cut back to minimum wage.

Reading AllAccess... quite a number of Cumulus cuts occurring today as well.
Who in sales? They are never mentioned by name for some reason. It's kind of like the first Gilligan's Island theme song that ended "...The Movie Star, and the rest." No Professor or Mary Ann.

michiradio

Post by michiradio » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:27 pm

STAR - Web only lists Morrisson (middays) and Billy Bush (nights) as "personalities", but I know Ron Finn and Lyn Caseye do AM drive.

Who does PM drive @ STAR? Is that now part of Ryan's duties?

WRQN - AM drive live, middays tracked by Finn. PM drive? Nights?

K100 - live AM drive thru PM drive. Nights syndicated "CMT Radio Live"

WXKR - live AM drive thru PM drive. Lyn tracks nights.

ZONE - More music AM drive, live middays and PM drive. Nights were tracked by Kelly Carter.

Tower - Syndicated AM drive, middays tracked, live PM drive & Nights. Don't need live middays on a CHR. Kids are in school 9 months out of the year.

WTOD - Satellite fed. save for live weekend brokered programming

WLQR - ESPN, except for PM drive with Norm

Library formats (WXKR, WRQN) don't "need" to be live given the demos. Most aren't listening to radio at night. Don't get me wrong, I'll take as much live as I can get. Push comes to shove, nights get tracked/syndicated on library formats.

All in all...not that bad. There's markets where there is even more syndication and voicetracking.
Tower is live through out the entire day, including middays. I still can't believe there haven't been more cuts up that way. Not that I'm wishing that on anyone but it seems like the money makers are getting it pretty harsh and Tower is live with a fairly pricey syndicated show.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:22 am

Cumulus Youngstown cuts, via Ohio Media Watch

http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com/

Dave Steele - PD K105.... The "K100" of Youngstown
Christian Aleshire - PD Rock 104 and ESPN 1240
Kelyn - middays WHOT
Bill Cannon - afternoons Y103

watchin'

Post by watchin' » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:30 am

That's real nice. Some of these people found out because of this posting at 8:46 Friday morning. I heard they had meetings with these people throughout the day, and I'm sure they didn't start til after 8 or 9 O'clock. Chuck, or whatever your name is, you are truely a piece of shit. When you lose your dumb little job, I hope we all know it first, so you can find out on this board.
Last edited by watchin' on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic