Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Who cares if you can't read after third grade? Not Gretcholm...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FET-500

Re: Who cares if you can't read after third grade? Not Gretcholm...

Post by FET-500 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:33 am

borderboy653659200 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:23 pm
I told you about 40% of Michiganders and Michigeese are functionally illiterate (how is that Whitmer's fault ? Oh,right,you're Republicans,so anything a Democratic Governor or President does is wrong ),but instead of owning it and perhaps doing something to fix it (like not falling for the stupid "tax cuts" mantra),you used ad hominem attacks to criticize me. I'm just a Canadian lad,but you people live in the Mitten State .I'd think you'd want to rectify its shortcomings .
The number you reference is actually low... and it is specific to Michigan's urban black population.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 am
NS8401 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:35 pm
I told you about 40% of Michiganders and Michigeese are functionally illiterate (how is that Whitmer's fault ? Oh,right,you're Republicans,so anything a Democratic Governor or President does is wrong ),but instead of owning it and perhaps doing something to fix it (like not falling for the stupid "tax cuts" mantra),you used ad hominem attacks to criticize me. I'm just a Canadian lad,but you people live in the Mitten State .I'd think you'd want to rectify its shortcomings .
The state legislature passed a law, signed by the previous governor to hold kids who were not reading at the proper level back in third grade. The current governor wants that law overturned with no real solution suggested. We're not blaming Whitmer for people being illiterate, but she called the new law destructive, while many believe passing the kids up to the next grade without having the tools to be successful is perhaps more destructive than a grade promotion participation trophy.
So how long do you hold them back? Just a year? Maybe 2 or 3? It’s a slippery slope. That’s the dangerous part... I’m actually shocked there isn’t more outrage about what a newly hormonal 10 or 11 year old might try to do with a 9 year old...
This is a ridiculous argument. "If you can't read, you definitely are going to commit sexual assault". You seriously don't believe that nonsense, do you???

https://mea.org/learn-whats-in-the-new- ... ading-law/
Another worry educators have expressed—that children might be retained in third grade multiple times until they are able to pass the state test—were addressed in the law’s final form. Students would not repeat third grade more than once.
That’s also not what I said... I was saying that I was surprised there wasn’t some sort of outrage over age differences from some sort of sexual angle. We get really uptight over that stuff for whatever reason in this country. Never said not being able to read caused it though apparently we’ve discovered you need to go back to the third grade...

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 am

FET-500 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:33 am
The number you reference is actually low... and it is specific to Michigan's urban black population.
Because our resident Canadian race-baiter most likely doesnt care about poor whites, judging by his own bitterness toward them in past statements. He thinks they are all ignorant racists. Funny....i think the same about him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic