Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I finally did it!!! I dumped Xfinity for video service in favor of YouTubeTV!

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
craig11152

Re: I finally did it!!! I dumped Xfinity for video service in favor of YouTubeTV!

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:49 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:15 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:17 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:37 am
YouTube TV has cloud DVR with virtually unlimited storage. That's the good news.

The bad news - all recordings are deleted after 9 months (which is very stupid, if ya ask me).
I would imagine there are some limits to their storage capacity. But I have to ask if you haven't watched something for 9 months was it really that important?
Youtube isn't really storing the content for you. They're just storing an index or pointer to the content you're interested in, and a couple more data points (like how much of it you watched already).
I did not know. So if you just write down the shows somewhere then there is no time limit if you just hit the search engine?

I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Re: I finally did it!!! I dumped Xfinity for video service in favor of YouTubeTV!

Post by km1125 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:09 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:49 pm
km1125 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:15 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:17 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:37 am
YouTube TV has cloud DVR with virtually unlimited storage. That's the good news.

The bad news - all recordings are deleted after 9 months (which is very stupid, if ya ask me).
I would imagine there are some limits to their storage capacity. But I have to ask if you haven't watched something for 9 months was it really that important?
Youtube isn't really storing the content for you. They're just storing an index or pointer to the content you're interested in, and a couple more data points (like how much of it you watched already).
I did not know. So if you just write down the shows somewhere then there is no time limit if you just hit the search engine?
For some content yes, but others it's not that easy. They want you to access that content via their own mechanisms so they can track your usage and habits.

Taco

Post by Taco » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:59 pm

MWmetalhead, now that you've had YT TV for a month now, any thoughts on it change for you?
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:17 am

The biggest downside to YouTube TV is the clumsy navigation. Usually, the channel up and down buttons on the remote work when using YTTV. Other times, they do not work.

It also takes more effort to navigate back to the channel & program grid list than what should be required.

On my oldest TV - a 40" Insignia I purchased in 2016 - it takes a good 5 to 10 seconds for each channel to load. I do not have that issue on my other two TVs.

Overall, though, I am happy with the service. WMYD and WADL are not carried, but I can pick up each of those channels OTA, so no big deal. Picture quality is very good and audio quality is excellent.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:43 pm

I agree the navigation is more clumsy than Hulu was. I thought I just needed a "learning curve" to get used to it. But my learning curve has come and gone and it is still not nearly as user friendly as Hulu was.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:41 pm

Would you say Hulu + Live TV is better than YouTube TV overall?

At quick glance, the only network I enjoy that Hulu lacks is NBA TV. (They do not carry AMC, CW, IFC, or Golf Network, either, which may matter to some folks.)

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:24 am

For my purposes , other than the cumbersome navigation factor with YouTube I could flip a coin. I switched in part to get the 3 month discount Youtube offered. I think they are also a buck or two cheaper at the normal rate. I will switch back when a couple Hulu originals come out with new seasons.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:39 am

Good info; thanks.

I am going to keep my eyes open to see if Hulu + Live TV offers any good promos for new subscribers.

I believe Hulu + Live TV normally costs $76.99 per month, although that price also includes Disney+ and ESPN+ (with commercials). YouTube TV normally costs $72.99 per month.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:41 pm
Would you say Hulu + Live TV is better than YouTube TV overall?

At quick glance, the only network I enjoy that Hulu lacks is NBA TV. (They do not carry AMC, CW, IFC, or Golf Network, either, which may matter to some folks.)
I had Hulu Live TV for about 3 years before switching to YouTube last fall to take advantage of a special. Overall I have enjoyed the YouTube experience better. Hulu seemed glitchier and more susceptible to outages. YouTube have been more reliable in my experience.

Hulu does include Disney Plus and ESPN Plus, which is a plus if that programming is appealing. I found that ESPN Plus had a bunch of obscure events that I really haven't missed since dropping it. I think the only thing I really watched on it was an exclusive NFL game they had last year, but wasn't anything that I would go out of my way to watch either.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:45 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:52 am
You Tube is something like $55+/- for 3 months before it jumps to the normal $75 +/-
Dammit! I lost out on the $22 off per month for 3 months promo that was just launched. When I signed up, the promo at the time was a 21-day free trial (as opposed to the standard 7 days).

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

I suspect this current promotion launched either Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
I went to claim that 3 weeks free bullshit on December 20th before the bowl games and they said only 5. Knowing Michigan had a good chance at the championship, I went and got Sling Orange(I think), and it was $20. Now that bowl season is over, I cancelled. Thank goodness both Lions and Texans didn't get the Peacock game.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:21 am

When you dump "Xfinity" (Comcast) for You Tube TV (Google), who provides your Internet connection? Could it be.......Comcast, who is still getting your money?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:46 am

FredLeonard wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:21 am
When you dump "Xfinity" (Comcast) for You Tube TV (Google), who provides your Internet connection? Could it be.......Comcast, who is still getting your money?
Quite likely, as the title says "I dumped Xfinity for video service in favor of YouTubeTV!"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:36 am

Yes, Comcast is still getting money from me - albeit nearly $150 less per month than what they'd otherwise be receiving from me!

As far as high-speed internet is concerned, Comcast is more reliable than WOW. AT&T won't guarantee speeds, whereas T-Mobile is known to be very slow in my neighborhood.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:08 am

I've had Dish Network for over 20 years and was grandfathered into their "Welcome Pack." While it offers next-to-nothing in terms of sports channels, it includes a decent (seemingly random) assortment of cable networks and all my locals and even a few other OTA networks (BUZZR, Bounce, Grit, and LAFF). There's also free previews that change every month which sometimes do include sports networks.

I can't really complain at $50.99/month. I've been using the same equipment for the bulk of that time and fairly recently they upgraded quite a few of my channels to HD. Also discovered after one of my 2 receivers died that it was actually "leased" and once I replaced it with one I bought off ebay for $50, the $7 monthly extra receiver charge disappeared from my bill.

There's something about the convenience of near-instant navigation and not needing to rely on my internet connection that makes this still in at least some ways superior to going through a streaming service.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:36 am

As far as high-speed internet is concerned, Comcast is more reliable than WOW. AT&T won't guarantee speeds, whereas T-Mobile is known to be very slow in my neighborhood.
Not in "downtown" Warren. Have always had more luck with WOW.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic