I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Should I get AT&T U-verse?

A place to discuss broadband, cable, satellite and wireless video services (not programming). This is the spot to discuss good deals, crappy customer service, cutting edge "cut-the-cord" video content providers, and to share your favorite Roku channels.
Deleted User 10525

Should I get AT&T U-verse?

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:09 pm

I currently have Buckeye Cable, I am looking into U-verse. It seems like you get a lot more for your money, even the lowest package has a lot more channels for only a little bit more a month. I am paying 30$ a month plus tax for just 30 channels, most of them religious and just local. I do have internet service with them too.

What are the pro's and con's? Cable VS U-verse.

craig11152

Re: Should I get AT&T U-verse?

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:27 pm

What speed is your Internet now?
What speed can you live with?
If you are not in a fiber optic neighborhood your Internet speed with U-verse will be dictated by how far your address is from a hub.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 pm

pretty sure my neighborhood is fiber-optic.

50 Mbps Download
3 Mbps Upload
250 GB Data

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:26 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 pm
pretty sure my neighborhood is fiber-optic.

50 Mbps Download
3 Mbps Upload
250 GB Data
Awhile back I was going to switch from Comcast to AT&T fiber optic. I canaclled Comcast on a Wednesday , took my gear back, on Thursday AT&T showed up to install my new fiber optic Internet service. 2.5 hours later the installer told me there was no fiber optic in my neighborhood, the phone rep was mistaken. He also told me that due to my distance from the hub the best he could get me was 21 Mbps. It was going to be the same price as what the 50 was going to be because that 50 mbps for $40 was a special offer.
My point is do not trust a phone rep or a website to assume you have fiber optic. The best bet is a service rep on site OR a neighbor who can confirm.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:47 am

I've heard story's like that actually, I've considered keeping the cable company for the internet.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 pm

I thought AT&T discontinued U-Verse video service. Aren't all new subscriptions via Directv now?

If you can pick up broadcast signals over-the-air at your home with an indoor antenna, you may want to consider a streaming provider for cable networks. Options:
-Sling TV
-Playstation Vue
-YouTube TV
-Directv Now

There may be others. If you do not own a smart tv, all you need is a Roku stick. I suspect Amazon Fire also offers access to those same services.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:02 am

1027BrianFM wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:09 pm

What are the pro's and con's? Cable VS U-verse.
I don't have the experiences to provide the answers you request....but I do have comments:

1. Certainly your opening prices with them will not resemble in any way what the price will be when your special opening deal reverts to the normal pricing. Be sure that you can live with the price that 'will be'.

2. The data cap is an issue. It's been threatened everywhere for a long time, and is in place in some cable systems....and certainly on mobile devices. There obviously has to be a 'wall' out there, as some will abuse it. I'm a "Charter" subscriber in 2 locations, and there is a 'secret' data cap in use that I've never hit, but when I do, I will be warned first, and if I continue, spanked.

250 gB is a lot of data, but not so much when you doing the first backup of a laptop or other device. The 'cloud' will become a bigger and bigger target of our data transfers.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 pm

I just thought of something (credit Plate Cap for making me think of this):

Brian - did you try calling Buckeye to inform them that you are thinking of canceling? I wonder if they'd offer you a reduced rate for, say, 6 to 12 months as a goodwill gesture.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:33 am

Check out https://www.dslextreme.com/

They are a reseller of AT&T services. They provide them without the data caps or introductory price nonsense.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Sort of late here, but BCS always wants to give discounts to new Subscribers but not to current ones. I did have AT&T for internet years ago, at my current home but I don't know if its changed in recent years. When I had them at my apartment in Toledo, I never had any problems.

I-Heart Media, I ask you to please bring back 106.7 The D, but without Journey,Eddie money, or Styx. ALT 106.7 sucks ass!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic