All new acct registrations in the queue as of 7/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

How Does Sling TV work?

A place to discuss broadband, cable, satellite and wireless video services (not programming). This is the spot to discuss good deals, crappy customer service, cutting edge "cut-the-cord" video content providers, and to share your favorite Roku channels.
Frank Booth

How Does Sling TV work?

Post by Frank Booth » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:15 pm

I have an APP for this on my Roku, I see there are 2 levels you can choose from. Do you have to buy channels in packages or how does it work ?

Be Polite!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: How Does Sling TV work?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:10 pm

Yes. There is a Sling "Blue" package, a Sling "Orange" package and then premium channels. I think there may be a sports pack, a foreign language pack, a family pack, etc. as well.

The premium channels are the only true a la carte channels, I believe.

I believe Sling Blue + Sling Orange will give you about 75 channels in total (some of these networks are garbage, such as the god awful "Local Now" and "Newsy"). Sling does provide DVR-like storage capabilities now. You can store up to 50 hours of content; that capability will cost you an extra $5 per month.

Price wise, it doesn't seem like that good of a deal to me. Tax included, I pay $166 per month for unlimited phone, DVR, 100 mbps internet and expanded digital cable (I receive no premium channels other than Starz).

If I were to switch to Sling, my Comcast bundling discount probably wouldn't be quite as attractive, and I'd have access to fewer TV networks. Maybe I'd save $10 per month?

Now, my Comcrap contract / discounted price expires around November 1. I suspect my rate will go up $20 or $30 per month at that point. I will reevaluate my options at that time, but "Plan A" will be to call Comcrap, threaten to cancel, and see if they offer a discount to stick around. (Spoiler alert - they almost assuredly will do so!)

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:44 pm

I have (F)Buckeye, internet + ultra basic limited cable. Total is about 70-75$ a month. I would drop the cable if I lived someplace where an antenna would be feasible. It's local, c-span, and all these shopping, plus religious stations. Yeah, looking more into it, it doesn't seem like you would be saving any money or getting anything better.

If your a new Customer, Buckeye gives you all the breaks, if not nada.

Be Polite!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:15 pm

In your instance, switching might make sense. You need to see how much internet would cost thru (F)Buckeye on a standalone basis. You might wind up paying $10 more per month for all services combined, but you could easily wind up with 30 to 40 more cable networks than what you presently enjoy.

Look at Sling, YouTube TV, Playstation Vue, Directv Now, and Hulu (yes, Hulu offers live TV now!) and FuboTV.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... -services/
https://www.cnet.com/news/live-tv-strea ... -compared/
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-tv ... 24578.html

(Note: YouTube TV might not yet be available in the Toledo market. I do know that it is available in Detroit.)

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 am

YouTube TV is available in Toledo: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/an ... 8923?hl=en

I have YouTube TV for cable and Comcast for internet. I pay about $54 to Comcast and I'm grandfathered in at $35 for YouTube TV. This is roughly half of what I was paying AT&T/DirecTV.

YouTube TV is $40/month for new subscribers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 am

The Dish Network "Welcome Pack" is also a good low-cost tv option with a little bit of everything, except sports. I've had it now for over 5 years. It is $22.99 per month and includes about 50 channels including all your locals and:

Comedy Central
History Channel
TBS
Discovery Family
Food
Hallmark
MSNBC
MTV 2
TLC
Weather Channel

Also some OTA channels like Grit, LAFF, BUZZR, Justice Channel, Cozy and some kid's channels like Boomerang.

There's also 5 or 6 additional free channels that change monthly - sometimes there are some decent ones in here.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:16 pm

We had sling orange for ESPN last fall for college football.
If I was to suggest anything it's look at
Hulu live,
sling orange and blue,
YouTube TV
Direct TV Now
PlayStation View.
Compare their similar $40+/- packages for channels you like then pick the one that best covers your needs.
I'm pretty sure they are all compatible with newer Roku's.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Pay TV is way overpriced what you are getting. The Charter Bundle TV/Internet/Phone plus additional cable boxes are a bit much. Doesn't Dish Network offer a "Lifeline" package of just the locals? That might be an option for those who can't get good OTA signals.

I have to say though, Charter has the best internet connection in comparison to the other alternatives up here in the north country. Maybe get a "lifeline" package from Dish and pay a little for Charter internet. Combined that is still cheaper I think than the Charter Bundle.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 pm

BMW, how does dish network work for you? I mean does it go out alot? I had direct tv at one point and had no luck with it.

Be Polite!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:50 pm

I've had it since about 2002 - so about 16 years now (the last 5 being the el-cheapo pack). In that time, have never upgraded the outdoor hardware and have had to upgrade the receiver once due to mine being phased out. As to downtime, really only 2 issues. One, over time, the ground that holds up the pole that my dish is on (the dish itself is about 3-4 feet above the ground) tends to settle over time and thus the dish itself needs re-adjusted. I've had to do this twice in the past 5 or 6 years. Other issue is really only heavy rain. Snow very rarely blocks the signal, and spring/summer downpours are about all that knocks the signal out - rarely for more than a few minutes. Because rain often comes from the southwest and because the dish satellite in the sky is to the south, when rain is coming, I'll often lose my signal just a few minutes BEFORE the rain gets here so once the signal goes I know rain is near. Overall have had very few issues with downtime.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:22 am

I was looking on there site, you must have to buy one of there packages shown, then once the special is up then downgrade.

Be Polite!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic