All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/6 at 8:30p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Favorite Cable Streaming Services

A place to discuss broadband, cable, satellite and wireless video services (not programming). This is the spot to discuss good deals, crappy customer service, cutting edge "cut-the-cord" video content providers, and to share your favorite Roku channels.

What's Your Favorite Cable Streaming Service

Sling TV
No votes
DirecTV NOW
No votes
YouTube TV
No votes
Hulu Live
No votes
Philo
100%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 1

Calvert DeForest

Favorite Cable Streaming Services

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:40 am

Seems that cable content providers are finally catching up with the cord-cutting generation. There are now multiple platforms for watching your favorite cable/sat channels over the internet in real time. I've listed a few of the more popular services in this poll, although there may other alternatives I missed.

Sling TV seems to be the most economical service for what they offer ($20-40/month depending on the package). DirecTV NOW is likely AT&T's answer to ex-Uverse subscribers who can't use a dish (although one need not be an AT&T sub to use the service). Hulu Live adds live streaming to the existing on-demand platform for an all-in-one experience, although it's a bit pricey ($40/month). Same with YouTube TV, which is still in a roll-out phase, and comes in at $35/month. Philo is the least expensive option I could find ($16-20/month). The variety isn't as vast as other services (currently no Fox, Time Warner or NBC/Universal content), and they skip the sports channels, which apparently keeps their costs down. Still not a bad lineup for the price.

Most all of these services offer cloud DVR options, either included or as an add-on for an additional fee, and most are available via mobile apps and streaming platforms (Roku, Fire Stick, Chromecast, etc). Most offer a 7-day free test-drive, although YouTube TV is currently offering a 30-day trial in available markets.

Which if any of these services have you tried, and do you have a preference? Discuss.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

craig11152

Re: Favorite Cable Streaming Services

Post by craig11152 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:45 am

We currently have Sling Orange at $20 a month. We got it when we lost our Comcast TV option for ESPN mostly.
But now we need a few more channels and I am looking at Sling Orange AND Blue ($40) Hulu Live and YouTube.
I think YouTube is now $40 so all 3 are equal in price.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Most of the choices seem sports intensive, which for me, other than a few college football games, is a waste, now that the Dead Wings no longer are contenders.

I just don't see a "Hell YES, that's for me!" standout. I don't need oprah, or MTV, or BET, golf, telemundo, msnbc, or all that. Would much rather watch old My Favorite Martian episodes

Sure would like to see a service with a "here's a list of 200 channels.....pick 40 and send us $40 a month". It would also be VERY informative to the biased news channels to see in real dollars who is buying their crap or not.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:21 pm

I have an outdoor antenna but after I put it up Comcast dangled a basic TV package and lowered my Internet rate in exchange for a 12 month commitment (6 months to go). So I rarely use the antenna which cost me $25 and doesn't get Fox.
Channels we would like to stream....
FX... The Americans
USA...Queen of The South
TNT...Animal Kingdom
AMC ...Better Call Saul
History....Vikings
Hallmark... The wife
Lifetime.......The Wife
Fox Sports local...Tigers, Lions
ESPN...college football
BTN...not a must since it would only be for UM or MSU football not picked up by others (which means they aren't very good)

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:22 am

I am now leaning toward Direct TV Now $35 version. The only channel missing from my want list is Fox Sports Detroit and at this point the Tigers look a few years away from me caring. Same with Wings and Pistons.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:44 am

Plate Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:07 pm
Most of the choices seem sports intensive, which for me, other than a few college football games, is a waste, now that the Dead Wings no longer are contenders.

I just don't see a "Hell YES, that's for me!" standout. I don't need oprah, or MTV, or BET, golf, telemundo, msnbc, or all that. Would much rather watch old My Favorite Martian episodes

Sure would like to see a service with a "here's a list of 200 channels.....pick 40 and send us $40 a month". It would also be VERY informative to the biased news channels to see in real dollars who is buying their crap or not.
"My Favorite Martian" is available on Amazon Prime. Not a live streaming service, but if you're looking for classic TV archives, that's the way to go. In addition to the annual $99 plan, Amazon now offers a monthly Prime plan for $12.99. Granted, the monthly plan costs more in the long run, but it's a good way to take it for a test drive before you pay for a year up-front. The library of classic shows is extensive. My recent favorites have been the original "Dark Shadows" soap and the 70's "Match Game" (Prime has every season from 1973-80).

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks......I'm a customer, and have watched it there. I was using it more of an illustration of my taste as compared to some generally accepted cable fare.

What I would like to find is the old Banaceks, McMillan and Wife, and the other 'Mystery Movie' type stuff without having to buy the DVD box sets.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:03 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:44 am
"My Favorite Martian" is available on Amazon Prime. Not a live streaming service, but if you're looking for classic TV archives, that's the way to go.
These guys also have it on YouTube, run by the distributors themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrYwyt ... CaL178xl0Q

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic