All new acct registrations in the queue as of 6/16 at 8:10a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Buckeye Cable rant

A place to discuss broadband, cable, satellite and wireless video services (not programming). This is the spot to discuss good deals, crappy customer service, cutting edge "cut-the-cord" video content providers, and to share your favorite Roku channels.
Deleted User 10525

Buckeye Cable rant

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:58 am

Without writing multiple paragraphs, Buckeye in SE MI carry's some local stations that the Toledo are doesn't get. Buckeye in Erie county Ohio sort of the same.

Here in The Toledo area, on the Ohio side. Over time we have lost almost all of the Detroit stations. Ch 50 has been gone for sometime and was never replaced, the cable box skips over it, goes from 49-51. WXYZ is blocked out half the time as is WDIV, those are the remaining 2 Detroit stations. CH 2 went away a few years ago. So with locals we are left with, WTVG,WTOL,WGTE,WUPW,WBGU,CBET, . Thats all well and fine but if your going to dump our Detroit stations then at least give us a station from Cleveland or Lima. I would like to see us get ch 35 WLIO from Lima, at least the main channel of it.

Second, Why can't The Weather Channel be part of the ultra basic local 30 service? Third, why is FLIX in the middle of the Showtime Channels? It used to be included now its 3.95 a month extra. Either move it or just throw it in with Showtime. Fourth, Why Can't one get The Movie Channel Separate? I get why it's lumped in with Showtime as TMC only has 3 screens, if you count the HD simulcast for the main channel but couldn't you do like a package with TMC and Flix for around 5$ or something?

Ok rant out.

mtburb

Re: Buckeye Cable rant

Post by mtburb » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:22 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:58 am
Here in The Toledo area, on the Ohio side. Over time we have lost almost all of the Detroit stations. CH 2 went away a few years ago.
That's because of Fox's big initiative to force cable providers to drop any out-of-market Fox affiliates in favor of one serving their DMA. Charter in Ogemaw County, Michigan dropped WFQX for this very reason, though they still have the other Traverse City network affiliates along with the Flint/Tri-Cities locals including WSMH.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:31 pm

mtburb wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:22 pm
1027BrianFM wrote:
Here in The Toledo area, on the Ohio side. Over time we have lost almost all of the Detroit stations. CH 2 went away a few years ago.
That's because of Fox's big initiative to force cable providers to drop any out-of-market Fox affiliates in favor of one serving their DMA. Charter in Ogemaw County, Michigan dropped WFQX for this very reason, though they still have the other Traverse City network affiliates along with the Flint/Tri-Cities locals including WSMH.
Charter in Clare still carries both WFQX and WSMH, but Clare is on the market line. Much of central New Jersey gets both WTXF and WNYW, but they're both O&Os.
1027BrianFM wrote:
Here in The Toledo area, on the Ohio side. Over time we have lost almost all of the Detroit stations. Ch 50 has been gone for sometime and was never replaced, the cable box skips over it, goes from 49-51. WXYZ is blocked out half the time as is WDIV, those are the remaining 2 Detroit stations.
I would guess most of the remaining programming fits one of these categories:
1. Local news
2. Syndicated programming uncleared on a Toledo station (rare)
3. Pre-emption of network programming (even rarer than #2)

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 am

mtburb wrote:
1027BrianFM wrote:
That's because of Fox's big initiative to force cable providers to drop any out-of-market Fox affiliates in favor of one serving their DMA.
Even if they do own WJBK anyway, go figure (not like WUPW will pull some stunt and play something else instead of a Fox scheduled program just to screw us over for not having a backup, though I'd love to see that)!
ftballfan wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:31 pm
I would guess most of the remaining programming fits one of these categories:
1. Local news
2. Syndicated programming uncleared on a Toledo station (rare)
3. Pre-emption of network programming (even rarer than #2)
Still, it's kinda amusing to think of this as us being kinda weaned off of Detroit for good.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 am

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 am
mtburb wrote:
1027BrianFM wrote:
That's because of Fox's big initiative to force cable providers to drop any out-of-market Fox affiliates in favor of one serving their DMA.
Even if they do own WJBK anyway, go figure (not like WUPW will pull some stunt and play something else instead of a Fox scheduled program just to screw us over for not having a backup, though I'd love to see that)!
It's rather amusing here, since almost all the Monroe County systems dropped WUPW a few years back under this rule.

There are still a few areas that still have cable systems with multiple Fox affiliates...
-Comcast Flint carries both WJBK and WSMH
-Comcast Jackson carries both WJBK and WSYM

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 pm

mtburb wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 am
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 am
mtburb wrote:
1027BrianFM wrote:
It's rather amusing here, since almost all the Monroe County systems dropped WUPW a few years back under this rule.

There are still a few areas that still have cable systems with multiple Fox affiliates...
-Comcast Flint carries both WJBK and WSMH
-Comcast Jackson carries both WJBK and WSYM
D&P still does, but (a) they serve communities in both Detroit and Toledo markets and (b) they are in small communities. Another example of dual FOX affiliates is the private cable system serving CMU. In fact, they have two of each Big Four network! Dual FOX affiliates would really only be necessary during NFL season, but the Michigan FOX affiliates air the same games 99% of the time

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic