All new acct registrations in the queue as of 4/23 at 8:15p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

If you were in charge of the local cable system

A place to discuss broadband, cable, satellite and wireless video services (not programming). This is the spot to discuss good deals, crappy customer service, cutting edge "cut-the-cord" video content providers, and to share your favorite Roku channels.
User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by mtburb » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:29 pm

schmave wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:39 pm
Likewise for Monroe County, Monroe viewers get all Toledo and Detroit stations blackout-free and in HD. Only makes sense considering the location.
...which consequently also adds Wayne County's Huron Township to the mix, as they're connected to Spectrum's Monroe headend. In fact, all Wayne County viewers south of Pennsylvania or Eureka Roads get all Detroit and Toledo locals without blackouts and all in living HD.

Likewise for Flint locals in some of the outer-ring Oakland County suburbs (specifically the Pontiac area).
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

MichiganPhil
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:22 pm
Location: East Lansing

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by MichiganPhil » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 am

tvradiojunkie wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:11 am
I would have CBC (whichever affiliate is closest) added to every cable system in the state. Or at the very least have it added to cable here in Lansing. Never understood why CBET was carried in East Lansing and not Lansing.
Why? What's so great about CBC? i haven't watched anything on CBC in over six months. They have no interesting programming.

tvradiojunkie
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by tvradiojunkie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:40 pm

MichiganPhil wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 am
tvradiojunkie wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:11 am
I would have CBC (whichever affiliate is closest) added to every cable system in the state. Or at the very least have it added to cable here in Lansing. Never understood why CBET was carried in East Lansing and not Lansing.
Why? What's so great about CBC? i haven't watched anything on CBC in over six months. They have no interesting programming.
Wouldn't know. Never really got a chance to form my own opinion.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5112
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Hockey and Olympics coverage. Those are the only two things that give the CBC any value.
Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by mtburb » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Well at least, if you're fans of this show, CBET's widespread carriage gave Detroiters another (and a first-run choice at that!) choice starting in 1997 when it came to The Red Green Show, especially when it disappeared completely from WTVS' schedule.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by TheForce » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm

I think the CBC has some solid programming. I often watch The National and sometimes The Fifth Estate. I really wish it was in HD though. I just think it's odd that Charter carries CBC Montreal rather than CBC Windsor.

Out of curiosity, do cable providers is Sault Ste. Marie provide any Canadian channels? CTV or CBC?

User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by SolarMax » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:03 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm
I think the CBC has some solid programming. I often watch The National and sometimes The Fifth Estate. I really wish it was in HD though. I just think it's odd that Charter carries CBC Montreal rather than CBC Windsor.

Out of curiosity, do cable providers is Sault Ste. Marie provide any Canadian channels? CTV or CBC?
It actually is in HD, at least over the air on CBET ch 9, before cable and sats get hold of it. CBC Windsor has become, to a great degree, a relay of CBC Toronto.
Watching CBC news (as well as the BBC) is a refreshing reminder that there are actually other countries in the world, where things happen which, even though they might have no connection to the U.S. (around which apparently everything revolves), are nonetheless very important and interesting.

Inundated
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by Inundated » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 am

IIRC, CBET's HD feed was added to Buckeye during the dispute with WNWO (Olympics in HD!) and I believe that it's still there today...

ftballfan
Posts: 859
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by ftballfan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:06 am

TheForce wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm
I think the CBC has some solid programming. I often watch The National and sometimes The Fifth Estate. I really wish it was in HD though. I just think it's odd that Charter carries CBC Montreal rather than CBC Windsor.

Out of curiosity, do cable providers is Sault Ste. Marie provide any Canadian channels? CTV or CBC?
Sault Michigan gets CBMT on cable. No CHBX there, but St. Ignace (also Charter) does get CHBX along with CBMT (one of two differences between Charter St. Ignace and Charter Soo, the other being the PBS member [WCMU in St. Ignace and WNMU in Soo]). I remember staying in Mackinaw City in 2002 and the cable system at the time had CHBX and then-CJIC. When Charter added digital cable there, the Canadians were dropped south of the Bridge.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5112
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:26 pm

I believe all or nearly all cable systems in Metro Detroit offer CBET in high definition. WOW added it first; Comcast followed soon after. It has been on available in high definition on both systems for at least six or seven years.
...when it came to The Red Green Show, especially when it disappeared completely from WTVS' schedule.
If you have Comcast and reside in Oakland, much of Wayne, Washtenaw or Livingston county, you can still catch Red Green on WCMU! :)

I believe all WOW subscribers in Metro Detroit (including Macomb County) have access to WCMU.

I want to say Red Green airs on WCMU at 10:00p or 10:30p on either Saturday or Sunday evening.
Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

ftballfan
Posts: 859
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by ftballfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:30 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:26 pm
I believe all or nearly all cable systems in Metro Detroit offer CBET in high definition. WOW added it first; Comcast followed soon after. It has been on available in high definition on both systems for at least six or seven years.
...when it came to The Red Green Show, especially when it disappeared completely from WTVS' schedule.
If you have Comcast and reside in Oakland, much of Wayne, Washtenaw or Livingston county, you can still catch Red Green on WCMU! :)

I believe all WOW subscribers in Metro Detroit (including Macomb County) have access to WCMU.

I want to say Red Green airs on WCMU at 10:00p or 10:30p on either Saturday or Sunday evening.
Most of Metro Detroit (exception being the city of Detroit, inner ring suburbs, and parts of Macomb County [Chesterfield and Port Huron do get WCMZ]) gets either WCMZ or WGTE for a secondary PBS. Ann Arbor has both, while Livingston and western/northwest Oakland also get WKAR alongside WCMZ and WTVS. And all of them in HD to boot for most areas!

By the way, Red Green airs on WCMZ at 5:30am Friday mornings (for those of whom who have DVRs)

User avatar
1027BrianFM
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:01 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by 1027BrianFM » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:01 pm

I have Buckeye Cable in Ohio. For me:

Add The Weather Channel to the ultra basic 30 channel Package

Give us WLIO Ch 35 from Lima

Give us Cable Boxes that can be auto programmed so you don't have to go through a bunch of empty channels.

Put all the local and regional channels in one section and have C-Span 1,2,3 in chronological order.
Toledo Needs a Jack FM station

Inundated
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Re: RE: Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by Inundated » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:09 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:I have Buckeye Cable in Ohio. For me:

Add The Weather Channel to the ultra basic 30 channel Package

Give us WLIO Ch 35 from Lima

Give us Cable Boxes that can be auto programmed so you don't have to go through a bunch of empty channels.

Put all the local and regional channels in one section and have C-Span 1,2,3 in chronological order.
Does Buckeye still offer CBET in HD, even after WNWO returned?

User avatar
1027BrianFM
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:01 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by 1027BrianFM » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Yes, its on ch 59. CBET was never dropped.
Toledo Needs a Jack FM station

Inundated
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Re: RE: Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by Inundated » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:37 am

1027BrianFM wrote:Yes, its on ch 59. CBET was never dropped.
But the HD feed is still there, too?

I recall that CBET was long SD only, until the dispute with WNWO, and that then Buckeye added CBET in HD just before the Olympics - on what was previously WNWO's HD channel position.

ftballfan
Posts: 859
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: RE: Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by ftballfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 am

Inundated wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:37 am
1027BrianFM wrote:Yes, its on ch 59. CBET was never dropped.
But the HD feed is still there, too?

I recall that CBET was long SD only, until the dispute with WNWO, and that then Buckeye added CBET in HD just before the Olympics - on what was previously WNWO's HD channel position.
CBET HD still is on Buckeye and was moved one channel up: https://www.buckeyebroadband.com/media/ ... lineup.pdf

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic