Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

If you were in charge of the local cable system

A place to discuss broadband, cable, satellite and wireless video services (not programming). This is the spot to discuss good deals, crappy customer service, cutting edge "cut-the-cord" video content providers, and to share your favorite Roku channels.
mtburb

Re: If you were in charge of the local cable system

Post by mtburb » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:29 pm

schmave wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:39 pm
Likewise for Monroe County, Monroe viewers get all Toledo and Detroit stations blackout-free and in HD. Only makes sense considering the location.
...which consequently also adds Wayne County's Huron Township to the mix, as they're connected to Spectrum's Monroe headend. In fact, all Wayne County viewers south of Pennsylvania or Eureka Roads get all Detroit and Toledo locals without blackouts and all in living HD.

Likewise for Flint locals in some of the outer-ring Oakland County suburbs (specifically the Pontiac area).
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

MichiganPhil

Post by MichiganPhil » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 am

tvradiojunkie wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:11 am
I would have CBC (whichever affiliate is closest) added to every cable system in the state. Or at the very least have it added to cable here in Lansing. Never understood why CBET was carried in East Lansing and not Lansing.
Why? What's so great about CBC? i haven't watched anything on CBC in over six months. They have no interesting programming.

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:40 pm

MichiganPhil wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 am
tvradiojunkie wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:11 am
I would have CBC (whichever affiliate is closest) added to every cable system in the state. Or at the very least have it added to cable here in Lansing. Never understood why CBET was carried in East Lansing and not Lansing.
Why? What's so great about CBC? i haven't watched anything on CBC in over six months. They have no interesting programming.
Wouldn't know. Never really got a chance to form my own opinion.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Hockey and Olympics coverage. Those are the only two things that give the CBC any value.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Well at least, if you're fans of this show, CBET's widespread carriage gave Detroiters another (and a first-run choice at that!) choice starting in 1997 when it came to The Red Green Show, especially when it disappeared completely from WTVS' schedule.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm

I think the CBC has some solid programming. I often watch The National and sometimes The Fifth Estate. I really wish it was in HD though. I just think it's odd that Charter carries CBC Montreal rather than CBC Windsor.

Out of curiosity, do cable providers is Sault Ste. Marie provide any Canadian channels? CTV or CBC?

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:03 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm
I think the CBC has some solid programming. I often watch The National and sometimes The Fifth Estate. I really wish it was in HD though. I just think it's odd that Charter carries CBC Montreal rather than CBC Windsor.

Out of curiosity, do cable providers is Sault Ste. Marie provide any Canadian channels? CTV or CBC?
It actually is in HD, at least over the air on CBET ch 9, before cable and sats get hold of it. CBC Windsor has become, to a great degree, a relay of CBC Toronto.
Watching CBC news (as well as the BBC) is a refreshing reminder that there are actually other countries in the world, where things happen which, even though they might have no connection to the U.S. (around which apparently everything revolves), are nonetheless very important and interesting.

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 am

IIRC, CBET's HD feed was added to Buckeye during the dispute with WNWO (Olympics in HD!) and I believe that it's still there today...

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:06 am

TheForce wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Sault Michigan gets CBMT on cable. No CHBX there, but St. Ignace (also Charter) does get CHBX along with CBMT (one of two differences between Charter St. Ignace and Charter Soo, the other being the PBS member [WCMU in St. Ignace and WNMU in Soo]). I remember staying in Mackinaw City in 2002 and the cable system at the time had CHBX and then-CJIC. When Charter added digital cable there, the Canadians were dropped south of the Bridge.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic