Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 5-23-2017 at 5:15p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

AT&T/DirecTV Overcharging for Bundles

A place to discuss broadband, cable, satellite and wireless video services (not programming). This is the spot to discuss good deals, crappy customer service, cutting edge "cut-the-cord" video content providers, and to share your favorite Roku channels.
Calvert DeForest

AT&T/DirecTV Overcharging for Bundles

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 am

Guess those "great deals" aren't all they're cracked up to be:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/complaints- ... rcharging/

Funny how these problems seem to have all come about since AT&T's acquisition of DirecTV. I know people who really liked U-verse before the merger, and Consumer Reports gave AT&T decent ratings for customer service just a few years back. Now U-verse is being phased out and AT&T is pushing DirecTV in their bundles. Aside from the fact that many U-verse subs aren't logistically able to position a dish, it appears that these new bundles aren't being billed as advertised, and customers are being treated like this is all their fault. 4,000 billing complaints in two years is a problem.

Me thinks this wasn't thought out very well.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

audiophile

Re: AT&T/DirecTV Overcharging for Bundles

Post by audiophile » Fri May 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Alpha Tango, Tango. We are the Alpha, you must Tango to our Tango. :blink
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat May 20, 2017 8:24 am

The extra rub is the customer can't just cancel and walk away without being slapped with the early termination fee. AT&T is holding the sub to his/her end of the contract while disregarding their obligation to same. In addition, the customer agrees to binding arbitration through (of course) the company's hand-picked arbitrator, thus surrendering any right to take the company to small claims for the charges.

And it's not just AT&T/DirecTV. Just for grins (and out of pure boredom), I got out my magnifying glass and read the fine print on a Dish Network circular in our Sunday paper. I was astonished to see that the "guaranteed rate" they offer in the big print nearly triples over two years. Of course, they're hoping that the customer will be hooked by then and just pay it. Then there are all the little "extra charges" (DVR fees, second receivers, etc) that aren't included in the introductory rate, but can add up in a hurry. They count on the fact that most people don't fully read these contracts before signing them, but once you sign, they've pretty much got you.

Thought for the day....if it sounds like an awesome deal, look for the hook!
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 am

I haven't found any hooks in the outdoor antenna...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic