Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

AT&T starts merger talks with DirecTV

A place to discuss broadband, cable, satellite and wireless video services (not programming). This is the spot to discuss good deals, crappy customer service, cutting edge "cut-the-cord" video content providers, and to share your favorite Roku channels.

NS8401

Re: AT&T starts merger talks with DirecTV

Post by NS8401 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:06 am

Great, we are winding down to a few major providers and a handful of small owners with no real power.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:56 am

http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-t-review ... 1421947868

I'm not sure changing DirecTV's name is the smartest thing as its a much more well known entity with 3 times the number of subscribers.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:28 pm

Make it Direct-U :D
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:55 am

Got a flyer for AT&T/DirecTV in the mail yesterday. Typical cheap 12-month special. Another piece of paper for the recycle-bin.

The amount junk mail we get from Dish, Direct and Charter is amazing. Charter is the worst. I'd love to see the direct-mail advertising budgets for these companies. Charter still owes me a $64 refund from when I canceled them in 2009, but I figure the amount of paper and postage they've wasted trying to get me back since then has dwarfed that amount in comparison, so I'm happy to call the score even. :D
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:02 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:Got a flyer for AT&T/DirecTV in the mail yesterday. Typical cheap 12-month special. Another piece of paper for the recycle-bin.

The amount junk mail we get from Dish, Direct and Charter is amazing. Charter is the worst. I'd love to see the direct-mail advertising budgets for these companies. Charter still owes me a $64 refund from when I canceled them in 2009, but I figure the amount of paper and postage they've wasted trying to get me back since then has dwarfed that amount in comparison, so I'm happy to call the score even. :D
Have you thought about filing a complaint through the AG's office? I did that in 2007 with AOL and I was able to get my money back. I don't recall it being a tremendous amount of effort.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:Got a flyer for AT&T/DirecTV in the mail yesterday. Typical cheap 12-month special. Another piece of paper for the recycle-bin.
The amount junk mail we get from Dish, Direct and Charter is amazing. Charter is the worst. I'd love to see the direct-mail advertising budgets for these companies.
personally I don't mind junk mail. I just recycle it and I figure it creates jobs for somebody.
But I did read somebody's "revenge" technique whereby they took junk mail from company A, put it in the prepaid envelope of company B and mailed it to them. Did the same on the flip side. So they were sending junk mail to the junk mailers on the junk mailers dime. :lol
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:18 am

Matt wrote:Have you thought about filing a complaint through the AG's office? I did that in 2007 with AOL and I was able to get my money back. I don't recall it being a tremendous amount of effort.
I'm sure the statute of limitations has expired on that, and it was actually more of a "promised" amount. Charter did refund me from the date of disconnection, but after I told the CSR how lousy the service was, she told me the company would refund my entire service period (I had them for all of 45 days). Shoulda documented her name and date/time of call. When I called to inquire about the $64 difference, the person I talked to said they made no such offer. Pretty much my word against theirs.
craig1152 wrote:personally I don't mind junk mail. I just recycle it and I figure it creates jobs for somebody.
But I did read somebody's "revenge" technique whereby they took junk mail from company A, put it in the prepaid envelope of company B and mailed it to them. Did the same on the flip side. So they were sending junk mail to the junk mailers on the junk mailers dime.
A lot of places have gotten wise to that and no longer enclose pre-paid return envelopes. Now they want you to call or go online.

Funny story and case in point....

My wife got a mailing from the Ted Cruz campaign. The envelope said check enclosed, so we knew this was gonna be good. Sure enough, it was a "check" made out to Ted Cruz, which she could return with a $40 donation. Here's the kicker....the return envelope was not postage-paid, so in addition to having the pleasure of paying Mr. Cruz with his own check, she would get to foot the stamp as well. I'm sure the Cruz campaign took into consideration the absolute flood of empty postage-paid envelopes they would receive from people who a) are not Cruz supporters, and b) would look at such a mailing and say REALLY?

Recycle bin.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:53 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:A lot of places have gotten wise to that and no longer enclose pre-paid return envelopes. Now they want you to call or go online.
good point. I went through a small pile of junk mail and maybe 4 out of 10 had a prepaid envelope and they were all credit cards. I bet once upon a time it would have been 7 or 8 out of 10.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:42 am

AT&T should not be allowed to buy Time-Warner.

This eliminates completion on several levels.

Time-Warner cable competes with Directv and Uverse TV - both owned by AT&T.

In addition Time-Warner internet competes with Uverse internet.

AT&T also provides internet and phone services, via 4G. Time-Warner also provides phone services.

This is an anti-trust problem and can't be allowed.

I do not have and issue with Time-Warner being bought by another cable system that's in not in same markets.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Guess what - Uverse cable (according to reports) is being phased out by AT&T!!!

Look at all of their junk mailings. ALL of them tout DirecTV. NONE of them tout U-Verse television.

Eventually, all Uverse video subscribers will either need to switch to DirecTV or switch providers altogether.

A rather surprising move considering how much money AT&T spent building out the Uverse network over the past 10 - 12 years. Apparently, it wasn't very economical to maintain / upgrade. Uverse has always been a laggard relative to traditional cable broadband internet service from a speed and reliability standpoint.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:48 am

This will affect a lot of people in apartments that don't have a clear shot to the Equator. A lot of those customers will be lost. I can't believe AT&T would shoot themselves in the foot like this. I can see them pushing master-dish setups to all these apartment complexes.

Despite their slower broadband speeds, AT&T picked up a lot of U-Verse subs who had just had it with Comcast or Charter. My sister was one of them. Her dealings with Comcast customer service was so continually awful, she switched as soon as her area was wired.

A friend of mine had an AT&T rep show up at his door one day. He tried to ask about the U-Verse service, but the guy was insistent on selling him on DirecTV. He wouldn't even discuss U-Verse, even though it's available in my friend's neighborhood. I can't wait to see AT&T tell existing subs that they have to get a dish because the cord's being cut.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:09 am

Supposedly, in the not too distant future, most if not all DirecTV programming will be made available via WiFi streaming, thus eliminating the need for a dish for those who do not want one.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:18 pm

Wifi from where?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:26 am

audiophile wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:18 pm
Wifi from where?
From AT&T of course! :razz

My guess is they'll still market DSL....just not the U-Verse TV service.

Then again, that's assuming that everyone will have a smart TV or streaming box to access channels on the web. The irony is, AT&T DSL customers could easily get the same content from a competing provider over their network (i.e. Sling TV). They would have to offer a price incentive and/or discounted streaming box to their DSL subs to get them to bite. Sling is already running a promotion where new subs can snag a free Roku.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic