Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

GM Hotspots

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Graham Wellington

GM Hotspots

Post by Graham Wellington » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:19 pm

Alright, tech question regarding the built in GM hotspots. I recently purchased a vehicle that has one. Trying it out. I know, I know, I can use my phone hotspot, but I have some instances where it would be handy to have the vehicle one. However, I am experiencing unbelievably slow speeds. Most of the time, regardless of the AT&T signal strength, I am lucky to get 5mbps down. Working with Onstar to diagnose, but so far that experience wants to make me bash my head against the wall. Anyone else use the GM hotspot? If so, what is the typical speeds I should expect? I'm starting to think that maybe these shitty speeds are normal, despite all the marketing from GM trumpeting high speeds, streaming videos, blah blah blah.

km1125

Re: GM Hotspots

Post by km1125 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:58 am

How old is the vehicle? Is it a 4G or 5G system?

What kind of speeds are you actually measuring?

I haven't used a GM hotspot but I can't imagine it would be anything impressive, much less desirable for anything but basic connectivity.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:53 pm

Silly "boomer" question from someone younger than a boomer. Why does everything have to have internet connectivity? Does your refrigerator, or oven, or car really need it?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:35 pm

My dog has a hot spot. My vet said a cream will take care of it.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:50 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:58 am
How old is the vehicle? Is it a 4G or 5G system?

What kind of speeds are you actually measuring?

I haven't used a GM hotspot but I can't imagine it would be anything impressive, much less desirable for anything but basic connectivity.
It's a 2021, with a 4G LTE system. Subsequent information from AT&T tells me that the max speed expected for these is approximately 15mbps. I'm finding that is wishful thinking (not that 15 is anything great to begin with).

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:52 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:53 pm
Silly "boomer" question from someone younger than a boomer. Why does everything have to have internet connectivity? Does your refrigerator, or oven, or car really need it?
Yes. It provides useful and convenient features for those items.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:53 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:35 pm
Does that apply for humans as well? Asking for a friend....

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:07 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:53 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:35 pm
Does that apply for humans as well? Asking for a friend....
Feeling that Conservative loneliness tonight?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:29 am

bmw wrote:
No, it's stupid, and another way for it to break.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:48 pm

bmw wrote:
All our appliances in our home are internet-connected. It's great to be out and say "Shit! Did I forget to turn off the oven?" Just open the app, and BAM! Turn the oven off!

Another example: we're returning from a vacation and our house A/C has been off, when we land at the airport I can open the app and turn it on, so our house will be nice and chilled by the time we get home.

One more: our neighbor needs to borrow my edger, but I'm not home. He can text me and I can open the garage door for him while I'm on the golf course. Also, Amazon has a key delivery feature where they can deliver our items right into our garage, so no porch pirates can get to it.
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic