All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

The Strange David and Goliath Saga of Radio Frequencies

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Lester The Nightfly

The Strange David and Goliath Saga of Radio Frequencies

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 pm

From WIRED magazine:

https://www.wired.com/story/wireless-mi ... -fcc-saga/

The story is about the fallout from cell phone companies taking over the 600MHz band in preparation for new 5G services. Theater groups, churches and schools are getting hard hit with the need to replace wireless mic systems.

bmw

Re: The Strange David and Goliath Saga of Radio Frequencies

Post by bmw » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:20 pm

This wouldn't be THAT big of a deal were it not for the fact that this is the second time in less than a decade that wireless mics have been kicked out of a frequency band.

When I worked for my local school district, I installed wireless mics in the elementary school classrooms at about $200 each. I even remember some came from special fundraising efforts. Probably $5,000 worth of audio gear, and that was just 5 years ago. To the best of my recollection these were all 600mhz mics so they will need replaced (something I'm glad I won't have to deal with since I no longer work there). The article you posted focuses largely on theatre production, but public schools and churches will be particularly hard by this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic