Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Does the First Amendment Give You The Right to be Rude?

Miss the posts from your favorite flame artist or troll who added little to no value to the Buzzboard? Read 'em here!
lovinlife101

Re: Does the First Amendment Give You The Right to be Rude?

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:33 am

The First Amendment is the most valuable, precious, and important right we have.

It’s unfortunate cops don’t respect it. If you’re “rude” to a cop, they will likely make your life worse, arrest you, violate your rights, and use it against you. The reality is, THIS IS WHY WE HAVE THE FIRST AMENDMENT: TO PROTECT US FROM COPS!!!

Either we have free speech or we don’t. Cops don’t want you to have it. They have arrested people for flipping them off, for not talking, for being “rude,” and many other protected expressions. I have proof if you want to see the evidence.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:16 am

Radio Sucks wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:00 am
lovinlife101 - Wow! As my daughter in law says - "Calm your tits!" While you have the right to speak your mind on this subject, I feel it is a little rude to commandeer my thread about political speech and discussion on a topic where your position is and has been very clear. Feel free to start another thread if you wish.

But you've basically helped prove my point - at what point do you feel it necessary to "flip off" a police officer? If shouting "Fuck the Cops" a protected expression? What do you do for a living, and how would you like someone coming to your workplace (a public street is certainly a police officer's "workplace") and flipping you off?

Feel free to post your response on another thread.

screen glare - The text says (I edited) "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech". There was much confusion over interpretations of this sentence. The original speech restriction that your metaphor refers to comes from a Supreme Court decision that reads... (my emphasis)
Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes in 1919 wrote:The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic. [...] The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent.
If there actually IS a fire, that speech is protected.
I respect your freedom of speech. You don’t have to respect mine. That’s your right. So yes, that right gives you the right to be “rude.” But I don’t mind.

I find it fascinating when someone tries to make the ignorant argument of “when is it necessary to...?”

IT DOES’T HAVE TO BE NECESSARY! THAT’S THE BEAUTY OF FREEDOM. I GET TO DO WHAT I WANT REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK! AND YOU KNOW WHAT? YOU GET TO DO THE SAME! ISN’T FREEDOM GREAT?!

You’re one of the mindless mob that takes great joy in removing individual rights and getting the government to force people to do what you want them to do.

“Flipping police off? I don’t like that! It’s not ‘necessary’! Let’s ban it! Let’s usher in a police state! Let’s elect Hitler!”

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:50 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:41 am
Most reasonable people don’t believe it’s a black or white issue. Even with freedom, nobody gets to do “whatever they want.” Freedom isn’t anarchy.

I believe just because something is legal, doesn’t mean it’s right, and that you should. The world would be much better if some people chose to zip it. But then again, some people believe the world we all share revolves around them.
Now you’re getting it! When cops ask you questions, ZIP IT!!!

I love it!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:03 am

screen glare wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:40 am
The first amendment does in fact give you the right to be rude.
It does not give you the right to direct violence that results in persons being killed. As in the often mentioned “yell FIRE in a crowded theatre” example.

By the way, If you are rude to a police officer you’re just an idiot. When speaking with him or her the main sentences you should be uttering are, “Yes, sir. Yes, officer. No, sir. No, officer.” Also - please thank them for their service. NEVER argue with a police officer.
Ah, the old and ignorant “yelling FIRE in a crowded theater” argument. Yelling anything anywhere is protected by free speech. If you yelled “fire” in a crowded theater and nobody paid attention to it and nobody got hurt, should you be prosecuted? NO!!!! If someone yells “fire” in a crowded theater and people trample each other, killing them, should the person who yelled “fire” be prosecuted? DOUBLE NO!!! The idiots who killed others by trampling should be prosecuted! HOW DIFFICULT IS THIS?!

If I tell someone to push someone into traffic, and someone does it resulting in a death, should I be prosecuted? No! The person who killed the person should!

Just because I say something doesn’t mean you have to take it seriously. It doesn’t mean my words killed anyone. You don’t have to do what I say. You are still responsible for yourself regardless of what I say.

Either we have free speech or we don’t.

“I believe in free speech, except for...” THEN YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN FREE SPEECH!!!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:51 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:16 am
Derp (that’s your name right?),

Then you must believe in someone’s right to give you verbal death threats and bully you without complaint. Whether or not you choose to take it seriously is your problem. You must be outraged at the new legislation about online bullying. Thanks for the clarification, Chief.

You sound like a bratty teenager who refuses responsibility or accountability for yourself by any means necessary. It’s OK. It’s your right to be a POS. And for that, I laugh at every single idiotic thing you say. It’s my right. LOL
I receive racist and homophobic slurs, death threats, name-calling, and bullying daily. It’s your right and always should be.

“Without complaint”? COMPLAINING IS FREE SPEECH!!!!

You truly don’t understand free speech. Free speech says you can call me the n-word, faggot, lezbo, dyke, etc., but my free speech says I can call you out on it and condemn your speech. That doesn’t make either of our speech less free. What does is cops arresting people for speaking, which you advocate.
Last edited by lovinlife101 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:57 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:53 am
So those giving you those death threats and whatever to you are exercising their right. Their exercising a right doesn’t make you a martyr, instead you should be encouraging it, since you find absolute free speech so important. You should find it beautiful. After all, there is only black and white with the issue. You either have free speech or you don’t, by your own words.
I can call it “beautiful” or “ugly” or “green”!

That’s the beauty of free speech.

Anytime you say “you should...”, you exercise your free speech and your ignorance, which is also protected. LET FREEDOM RING!

Like I’ve always said, we don’t need less speech, we need MORE! MORE I TELLS YA!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:58 am

“Absolute free speech” is redundant, but thanks for playing!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:59 am
The first amendment certainly defends the right of private citizens to be a complete asshole, and if someone is being unreasonable with us, we certainly have the right to be unreasonable with them. That doesn’t mean you can propose illegal action if you don’t get your way or that you can unduly cause someone to believe they are in a clear threat of danger, there are limits.

Being rude? Lmao how do you legislate against that??

As for OP, their tangent seems to be way off from the topic of their post. Idk if people were ever more civil than they are today. People used to settle disputes with gunfights just a few hundred years ago. Even the behavior of people a few generations prior seems unreasonable now. Physical violence appears to be way down from generations prior.

To answer OPs question, if someone chooses to be assaultive or abusive, it won’t be successful, but that’s their failure.
Free speech has “limits”?

Is red a little bit blue too?

Does free beer cost something?

Makes sense to me!!!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:52 pm

And as I’ve said before, I will testify IN DEFENSE of those that will be jailed for cyber-bullying me. IN DEFENSE!

How ironic that the cops you support will be arresting you for bullying me while I am shouting them down for doing so! I will even pay your court costs!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:07 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:15 pm
How are these cops going to know about it unless you call them?

They aren't setting up some Internet watching division.
How does anybody get arrested? A cop does it.

Next question.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:07 pm

zzand wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:23 pm
It's words are meaningless since it won't have communications with law enforcement.
So the only meaningful words ever spoken are toward law enforcement? Got it, Skippy!

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:38 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:31 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:07 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:15 pm
How are these cops going to know about it unless you call them?

They aren't setting up some Internet watching division.
How does anybody get arrested? A cop does it.

Next question.
No, you can't get away with a stupid answer like that.
You didn't even answer my question.

Answer it.
No. I do not consent.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:17 pm

Just to be clear, if someone yells “fire” in a restaurant, then someone else slashes everyone’s throats, the person who yelled “fire” is not responsible for the deaths.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:51 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:16 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:17 pm
Just to be clear, if someone yells “fire” in a restaurant, then someone else slashes everyone’s throats, the person who yelled “fire” is not responsible for the deaths.
We were not in need of clearing up.
That's common sense boy
In the same vein, when someone yells “fire” in a crowded theater and people kill each other to get out, the people who killed each other should be prosecuted, not the person exercising free speech.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:36 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:52 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:51 am
stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:16 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:17 pm
We were not in need of clearing up.
That's common sense boy
In the same vein, when someone yells “fire” in a crowded theater and people kill each other to get out, the people who killed each other should be prosecuted, not the person exercising free speech.
You are literally repeating yourself over and over just to get me wound up.

Grow up
Don’t get angry. If someone makes you angry, they win.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic