All new acct registrations in the queue as of 7/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

On Star

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

On Star

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:22 am

My new GM vehicle has free On Star for 8 months. Yesterday I decided to try it for finding directions. I knew pretty close where I wanted to go but wasn't quite certain how to find the exact address.

I knew that if I continued north on the street I was on, for about a mile, then turned left and drove west on Oxford street for about 3 miles, I would be close. When I asked On Star for directions it took me on a zigzag route all over the city. Finally I ended up in a construction zone where the road was closed and had to depart from the route On Star had given me.

audiophile

Re: On Star

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:48 pm

Computer brains!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm going to Atlantic City this fall. I think I'll wait until I'm almost there before asking for directions to the hotel. Otherwise, instead of taking me to Atlantic City, it might send me to Kansas City.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:26 am

I've had an active OnStar account since 2012, and although it costs way too much money, I use it a lot and keep renewing it.

1. The 30 free minutes a month are just for the deadbeats who don't pre-buy minutes. Stupid people like me who pre-bought minutes and have a balance over 60 minutes don't get any. Great, eh?

2. It interacts with the nav map and XM to show the speed of a number of freeways. Green=fast, yellow=slowing, red=find another route. Very valuable.

3. The phone will work in a lot of places that your handheld mobile will not by nature of the external antenna. Mine is still Verizon; they switched to AT&T a couple of years ago in a cost-saving effort to deal with 'second banana'. I suspect performance in the 'sticks' dropped way down as AT&T is definitely second rate technically. Onstar is also a much less distracting way to talk on the phone. Dialing and phone memories are not terribly high performance, though.

4. Mapping is good. It will make the same mistakes any GPS assisted directions-providing applications will, but overall is reasonably reliable. It will not make good decisions on a street-level, granular level sometimes.

5. Interaction with the phone app is wonderful....I use it every day to start, ensure I locked the truck, or send directions to the truck to use later. Finding the truck is nice when my bride disappears with it and I wonder when she is coming back.

6. Customer service used to be great....they made note of name-pronunciation, etc. Now the operator on the other end is typical first tier call center crap. Technical support is so-so....they don't regularly do updates on your system, and only will do so during marathon sessions (I was driving from Ann Arbor most of the way to Kalamazoo one time just getting updated when things stopped working properly). Also, you have to figure things out yourself. Customer service was STUMPED when updates did not 'take'.....until I realized I would have to shut down and restart the truck for the system to reboot and use the updates. They said no, that wasn't it....I pulled over, peed at the rest stop, started up, and everything was good.

7. I suppose the crash reporting and locating is good.

8. The maintenance updates and reporting is nice...it's e-mailed me a couple of times to fill a tire before it got so bad the dash warning alarmed. Dynamic oil change calculating is nice.

9. I had it in a 2003 model, and subscribed. When analog cellular was phased out, they wanted me to PAY to upgrade the radio to digital, rather that simply do it and keep me and maybe the next buyer of the truck a customer. I told them to stick it.

Essentially, I use it, and am 'okay' with it, and if I didn't feel I was getting robbed, would be a loyal customer and a big proponent. Since they like to sting their customers, it probably costs them a WHOLE lot of business that would be theirs otherwise. Folks with less disposable income who might not value all the features can make an excellent case of sticking with their smartphone.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Folks with less disposable income who might not value all the features can make an excellent case of sticking with their smartphone.
That's about it. A service is only worth the value we place on it. I'll use it for my trial period, but I won't keep it up after that. It isn't a choice between that and a cell phone. I don't have a cell phone either. I'm only willing to pay for something I value.

I have SXM in the car and in my home and wouldn't do without it. I pay for a newspaper subscription and I pay to have Internet access in my home. I don't watch TV at all and wouldn't even have one in the house, except my wife likes it. So I pay the satellite for that every month.

I also have a Garmin GPS I don't often use. Ever since Indiana I don't quite trust it anymore.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:36 am

TT, maybe try updating your Garmin....i have lifetime updates on mine and just every now-n-again connect it and update it.

Still dont have ONSTAR..... but love SXM.

Image>>RayQix<<Image

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:29 pm

So if I ask for directions from On Star, but stop for the night before I get there, will the directions resume the next day? Or will I have to request directions all over again?

jry

Post by jry » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:36 pm

[quote="Turkeytop"]I'm going to Atlantic City this fall. I think I'll wait until I'm almost there before asking for directions to the hotel. Otherwise, instead of taking me to Atlantic City, it might send me to Kansas City.[/quote]

If it sends you to KC, it'll only be half wrong...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:54 pm

jry wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:I'm going to Atlantic City this fall. I think I'll wait until I'm almost there before asking for directions to the hotel. Otherwise, instead of taking me to Atlantic City, it might send me to Kansas City.
If it sends you to KC, it'll only be half wrong...
:rollin

But, if it sends me to Atlanta, it will be 3/4 wrong.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:34 pm

So, today I asked On Star for directions to the address of a store I wanted to visit. When she told me I had arrived at my destination, on the right, it was only an empty, litter strewn field.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:45 pm

Today my wife asked me to drive her to a store called "Tuesday Morning." I had the address but I thought On Star might help guide me to it. In asking for directions I didn't name the store. I only gave the address, 931 Tyrone BVD.

On Star directed me to a different location on Tyrone BVD. Ruby Tuesday.

>:

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Does an OnStar subscription still cost a pricey $18.95 per month (that was the price I paid back in 2007), or has it come down since then ?

Back then, I primarily used it to make hands free phone calls from the car using voice commands. My car literally had its own phone number. Not sure if Bluetooth even existed back in '07. I did call 911 a couple times with it to report bad accidents where police had not yet arrived on the scene (one of which was a big diesel fuel spill on eastbound 696 at Mound; not long after I passed thru the freeway was shut down for three hours).

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:03 pm

There are various levels of service with different price levels. The basic package is only for emergency use. If you want driving directions the price is higher. Higher still, if you want it to locate your favourite restaurant, for example.

If you have inactive OnStar in your vehicle they often have promotions where they will offer it free, temporarily,typically 3 months.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic