Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Considering a smart phone

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Deleted User 10525

Considering a smart phone

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:50 pm

I've had a cell phone since 2004, first one was a Motorola with a lcd B&W screen from T-Mobile with this annoying ring tone " Nee ne ne ne nee ne ne ne" :P. .

Currently I have an el-cheapo flip phone from Cricket, 25$ a month unlimited text and call minutes. Thing is, a lot of texts I get now like from Walgreens to fill my prescription or stuff from my job I cant access on my phone. It says to click to continue but my phone isn't compatible. Pictures, wont work either.

I kind of like my clam shell phone but I think its time to let it go. Flip phones are like VCR tapes, Cassettes, land line phones, cars with manual crank windows.

So... I think I am going to cave. What is a good phone that doesn't cost a fortune and has decent features like a good camera and overall smart phone functions. I don't need an I-phone or a droid just something that will get the job done.

craig11152

Re: Considering a smart phone

Post by craig11152 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:21 am

1027BrianFM wrote: What is a good phone that doesn't cost a fortune and has decent features like a good camera and overall smart phone functions. I don't need an I-phone or a droid just something that will get the job done.
step one is to pick your provider.
step 2 is pick a phone compatible with that provider.
No matter who you pick there will be phones at or less that $100. Generally they will be a couple models older than the latest and greatest.
I would suggest you pick a provider, see what they have at your price point then do some research on those options.....That research can certainly include posting in here for opinions.

I no longer directly engage trolls

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:37 am

I would suggest an iPhone SE. It is a basic, low-cost smartphone with the basic benefits of having a more expensive iPhone, although it is smaller in size than the other iPhones. I prefer the Apple ecosystem, so I'm biased toward iPhones, but an Android isn't terrible, and both will "get the job done" just fine. Since I am most familiar with iOS on iPhone, I can confidently say viruses are pretty much non-existent (unless you jailbreak your phone, which isn't a common thing people do anyway). I understand the new Google Pixel phone has a version of Android that isn't loaded up with a carrier's bloatware software, making a much cleaner Android experience. If that is true, that could be the only phone that steers me away from Apple. If you go with one of those, you'll get a great functioning phone.

I feel that if you veer off into something other than one of those two, your app availability dwindles, and you have to worry more about viruses and such. Also, I would guess most people would be unfamiliar with something that isn't on iOS or Android, so if you need help with it, you might not be able to ask your friends (if that works into your decision).

Welcome to the smart phone world! Be careful not to let it take over your life like it did the rest of us :razz

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:04 pm

I am about to buy a Motorola MOTO G 4th generation for $200 or a MOTO G4 Play for $130
Both are unlocked and both are CDMA and GSM compatible so you can take them to any major provider to turn on.
Those prices are currently at Best Buy.

I think they are a spectacular deal for a retail price that doesn't tie to 24 months of payments. They certainly don't have state of the art specs but if your new to smart phones they should be adequate.

The nontechnical difference between the 2 is:
bigger screen 5" vs 5.5"
slightly faster processor 1.2 vs 1.5
better screen resolution
better front camera

jry

Post by jry » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:09 pm

I'll give you a t mobile Windows Phone.

jry

Post by jry » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:09 pm

I'll give you a t mobile Windows Phone.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:31 pm

craig11152 wrote:I am about to buy a Motorola MOTO G 4th generation for $200
I bought it at Best Buy and walked out the door with a working phone. They took the SIM card from my old phone put it in the new phone did a couple magic tricks on the computer and my Verizon account now recognizes my new unlocked phone.
If anyone is closing in on a new phone and are not interested in the latest and greatest I am very happy so far. The only negative is the volume on a phone call could be better. The volume is fine on everything else...video, alarms, notifications. I haven't found any sort of adjustment so far so maybe its just a flaw/weakness in the phone. It only comes with 16GB of internal memory but you can install up to 128GB with an SD card.

if you are an Amazon Prime member you can it for $149 but it comes with an ad that pops up when you wake up the phone and preloaded with Amazon apps. Whether that is worth a $50 discount is up to each individual.
The phone is certainly not the latest greatest if that's your thing but for $200 its pretty nice. Verizon offered nothing comparable spec wise for less than $400.
Again its unlocked and can support CDMA and GSM as well as LTE so it will work with any provider.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:47 am

An update on the MOTO G. Still happy as a clam and my wife has one too. I added a 32GB memory card to mine. My earlier concerns with volume on phone calls seemed to fix itself early on.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 am

We use Total Wireless as our provider. Switched from Verizon when our contract was up a few years ago. Total uses Verizon's CDMA network so the coverage is the same for half the price we were paying on the Verizon account. Pre-paid service through a third-party has its ups and downs. Verizon grants priority access to their customers. Usually not an issue unless the tower hits capacity, in which case third-party subs could be knocked off. I've never had a dropped call although I have experienced occasional slow-downs in 4G data speed during peak hours. Not a deal-breaker considering the savings on the bill. Our plan gives us 3 lines with 20GB of shared data per month for $80 (we get a 5% discount with auto-refill). A single line costs $35 with 5GB of 4G LTE data. You can buy extra roll-over data at $10 for 5GB. I have an extra 13GB just as a backup although we've never used up the 20GB monthly allowance (even with a teenager).

As far as phones go it just depends on what you want. Total sells some decent phones for around $50, but the processing speed isn't what you get with a higher-priced phone. Probably best to look at phones in the $100 range if you plan to run a lot of apps and want to avoid the lag. They also let you bring your own device as long as it's a CDMA phone.

I swore after our Verizon contract was up that it was the last cell contract I'd ever have.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:11 am

My Moto G4 is still working fine approaching 2 years now since this thread started. Can't complain for a $200 phone out the door, no strings attached.
My big takeaway is that if you want to be a complete "free agent" able to go from provider to provider you need to get a phone that can support CDMA and GSM.
There are a few options out there that fit the bill from less than $150 to $300.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:29 am

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. It's a really good phone and has an excellent camera. I use Verizon and get a discount through my employer. Just note that the prepaid phones like Straight Talk do not roam. When I go to the thumb area I got NO service there with Straight Talk because they didn't use the towers for Thumb Cellular which provides a Verizon signal. So with having straight up Verizon service I can use those towers. If it weren't for this I'd still be using Straight Talk. But keep in mind that ST customer support sucks. They speak broken english and whatnot.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Two cans and a string.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic