All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Who here doesnt have a smartphone?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Deleted User 10525

Who here doesnt have a smartphone?

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:45 am

Just random curious question. Like I have a co-worker who updates his phone as soon as he can, I have another co-worker albeit in his late 50s who's never even had a cell phone in his life.

audiophile

Re: Who here doesnt have a smartphone?

Post by audiophile » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:31 am

I have had a smart phone since the 1xrtt / EV-DO days it ran Windows Mobile 2003 (CE). It was made by Audiovox.

The neat thing is it ran PC anywhere so you could log into your desktop PC and of course send email, browse internet, open Word and Excel. I even had an audio waveform editor.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 am

I know a few people without smart phones. They mostly are older.... 60 plus years old.
I am on my second smart phone. and will be eligible to "upgrade", aka, sign a new 24 month contract in November.
I am seriously thinking of going back to a basic phone. I work at home, self employed and have unlimited access to the Internet all day and all night long. I'm not sure its worth paying what I pay to have the Internet in my pocket when I'm out and about.
Last edited by craig11152 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:34 am

I'm on my 4th, and I keep them 3-4 years.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 am

I don't have a cellphone -- smart, dumb, or otherwise -- never did. I'm 60. I enjoy the freedom of being disconnected after a career of being constantly connected. It's not that I'm a Luddite, however, and may consider getting one in the future since payphones are becoming extinct. Also, the selection of magazines in waiting rooms is leaving much to be desired. :razz

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:33 pm

Well Moldy, you aren't missing much. Nothing wrong with not having a cell. Once people know you have one, everyone will call it instead of the house about stuff that can wait. And if you are out and really need to get hold of someone, everyone else has one you can use.

And if you don't need the 'net and don't text much, the battery on a basic phone last 4x as long.

billmich

Post by billmich » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:40 am

moldyoldie wrote:I don't have a cellphone -- smart, dumb, or otherwise -- never did. I'm 60. I enjoy the freedom of being dis however, and may consider getting one in the future since payphones are becoming extinct. :razz
BECOMING?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:12 pm

billmich wrote:
moldyoldie wrote:I don't have a cellphone -- smart, dumb, or otherwise -- never did. I'm 60. I enjoy the freedom of being dis however, and may consider getting one in the future since payphones are becoming extinct. :razz
BECOMING?
http://www.payphone-project.com/numbers/usa/

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Circle Seven wrote:Well Moldy, you aren't missing much. Nothing wrong with not having a cell. Once people know you have one, everyone will call it instead of the house about stuff that can wait. And if you are out and really need to get hold of someone, everyone else has one you can use.
I have opted to go the cell phone route exclusively. I no longer have a home phone. For me I like that my loved ones can reach me any time in an emergency. Between my wife and I we have 5 grown daughters with significant others, 5 grandchildren under 6 years old and 2 of our adult children are in statistically dangerous jobs. So I like that I am available while driving or shopping. I don't really have a problem with nuisance calls and I am certainly not averse to just not answering if its not a loved one calling.

billmich

Post by billmich » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:11 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
billmich wrote:
BECOMING?
if you have to look up on the web where to find something that you used to trip over every 2 blocks, then I say it's already extinct.

I bet the number of places that USED to have a pay phone out-number the places that still do by a 20-1 ratio (at least)

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:21 pm

And to add to the irony if your out and about looking for a payphone you need a smart phone to access the website. :lol

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:26 am

billmich wrote:
moldyoldie wrote:
billmich wrote:
BECOMING?
if you have to look up on the web where to find something that you used to trip over every 2 blocks, then I say it's already extinct.

I bet the number of places that USED to have a pay phone out-number the places that still do by a 20-1 ratio (at least)
craig11152 wrote:And to add to the irony if your out and about looking for a payphone you need a smart phone to access the website. :lol
Touche! :lol I just posted that link to point out that they're not quite extinct, merely an endangered species.

- Sydney J. Harris

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:55 am

craig11152 wrote: For me I like that my loved ones can reach me any time in an emergency.
I'm probably preaching to the choir here....but:

I assume you recognize that plan is effective for the emergencies of you and your family members, not general ones.

Mobile telephone systems are inherently blue-sky, good-condition reliable. Their ubiquity and overall ever-increasing handiness makes some think otherwise.....even lesser-trained local public safety people. Although it is improving somewhat, still only a little more than 5% of base sites have generators; battery capacity is only a few hours, backhauls take circuitous routes through many single points of failure.

The two major issues are backhaul reliability, and simple Erlang capacity. Again, that capacity is getting better, but local emergencies or large activities generally bring traffic to a crawl locally, and national-attention emergencies generally create polka-dot failures all over the country with "Are you okay, Aunt Sally?" traffic. I suspect the next 'big one' that is coming (insert your favorite WMD or terrorist incident here) will awaken many to the realities.

I was in a minor earthquake incident (about a 2.9 or 3.0) a short while back.....only knew it because the draw pulls in the bedroom were rattling a little....but cellular service all but died. You couldn't get a text message through in under 10 minutes for several hours.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:27 am

Recently caught a connecting flight at Ohare in Chicago and they actually had three phone booths along a wall....Right next to them, charging stations for smart phones, laptops and tablets.......I started with a Blackberry and have upgraded every two years since, time to upgrade now as a matter of fact. Did away with land line 8 years ago.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:58 pm

My phone is on the wall in the kitchen. Don't know how smart it is.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:35 pm

zzand wrote:.....time to upgrade now as a matter of fact. Did away with land line 8 years ago.
My Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge arrives tomorrow.....Ooh! Ooh! Can't wait! Might stay up all night waiting!

:D

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:16 am

The linked story below wrote:In a New York Review of Books article, Jacob Weisberg explained that folks who don't have a cellphone these days are either eccentric, aged or socially marginalized.
Why the CTA Cellphone Jammer Is My New Hero

Hmmm -- eccentric, aged, or socially marginalized -- I would think having two of these three qualities would still keep one solidly in the mainstream of modern society, but the first and third qualities may be a direct result of the second. Would merely carrying a cellphone "alleviate" said qualities? Doubt it.

- Sydney J. Harris

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:39 am

moldyoldie wrote: Would merely carrying a cellphone "alleviate" said qualities? Doubt it.
It's not a cause of those 'qualities', it's an effect of them.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but in my experience, those that are still in the mainstream of life (i.e. driving around, shopping, having some sort of job or at least family life that requires reasonable e-mail response time, etc.) that don't have such a device are more about making a point than simply a decision.

How many people do you know that DON'T have a smartphone don't spend a inordinate amount of time preaching about not having one?

In a similar vein, I have an acquaintance who doesn't have a TV. He and his wife spend more time telling people about the fact that don't have a TV than I spend watching mine. It's some sort of a badge of honor to them.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:59 am

I forgot I started this thread. Ok, I still use a dumb phone and have never had a smart phone. When it comes to technology I am a total dumbass. Honestly, I don't feel the need to have one. I see as one more thing to break, cost me money, complicate my life, and I spend too much time online at home to begin with. I have a laptop for my internet, so I'm good. I just don't want a 100$ a month phone bill.

I do warehouse work so I am not dependent on a phone for work. I am not against others having one, I mean why would I be? Sounds weird but for me its kind of liberating.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:56 pm

I've had a cell since about 2004, but never a Smart phone. Had an old Nokia from about 2004 to 2008; since then I've had a flip phone Tracfone, I pay about $7/month for service.

If I want to do something on the internet, I'll sit down in front of my desktop computer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic