I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

AM Stereo

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
RayQix

AM Stereo

Post by RayQix » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:09 am

Morning.....

Is AM Stereo (any and all) finally done-and-over with?

Image>>RayQix<<Image

audiophile

Re: AM Stereo

Post by audiophile » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:41 am

No, but not many broadcasting in it.

When they cut the audio bandwidth, they mess it up.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

jry

Post by jry » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:27 pm

No one is making any new receivers, so, i'd say it's dead.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Sangean?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

HugeEGO

Post by HugeEGO » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:33 pm

While it's not available on the air in a wide area, and receivers of the new variety are few, As HD gets shut off one station at a time, it's not dead. Commissioner Pai's "AM Revitalization" initiative may, indeed help push in the direction of better fidelity and may serve to slowly raise the standard back up where it belonged for fidelity of AM. Given a full 10khz-wide signal and a well tuned air chain, broadcasting in stereo on AM can actually improve the results on a mono radio.

Many stations claim to do AM stereo but do it incorrectly, without proper processor settings. If you hear it done well, you may have a hard time believing it is AM! CFCO in Chatham, Ontario has done it for years, and last I knew maintained the stereo signal even today! It costs nothing extra, has no proprietary licensing, and those who do it usually maintain a better air chain than those who do not which may be why even in on mono receivers, a stereo station sounds better. Perhaps.

It's the chicken and the egg "thing." Orban is allowing AM stereo through on their newer 9400 AM processors, and that to me sends a strong message to the AM broadcasting industry! Maybe we'll see some radios pop up with it. Some HD ones decode it, but...not as well as a dedicated Cquam radio will.

billmich

Post by billmich » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 pm

HugeEGO wrote:While it's not available on the air in a wide area, and receivers of the new variety are few, As HD gets shut off one station at a time, it's not dead. Commissioner Pai's "AM Revitalization" initiative may, indeed help push in the direction of better fidelity and may serve to slowly raise the standard back up where it belonged for fidelity of AM. Given a full 10khz-wide signal and a well tuned air chain, broadcasting in stereo on AM can actually improve the results on a mono radio.

Many stations claim to do AM stereo but do it incorrectly, without proper processor settings. If you hear it done well, you may have a hard time believing it is AM! CFCO in Chatham, Ontario has done it for years, and last I knew maintained the stereo signal even today! It costs nothing extra, has no proprietary licensing, and those who do it usually maintain a better air chain than those who do not which may be why even in on mono receivers, a stereo station sounds better. Perhaps.

It's the chicken and the egg "thing." Orban is allowing AM stereo through on their newer 9400 AM processors, and that to me sends a strong message to the AM broadcasting industry! Maybe we'll see some radios pop up with it. Some HD ones decode it, but...not as well as a dedicated Cquam radio will.
Thank you AM Stereo consortium spokesperson!!! I think you hit all the buzz-words on your press-release ;)

jry

Post by jry » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:16 pm

He's right, Bill.... If tuned into the antenna properly and with good processing, AMS is fantastic.
Ours sounded good.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:32 pm

I think at sunset AM bandwidth should be reduced to 5 kHz, and also ban IBOC at night.

It doesn't make sense to be modulating to the center of the next channel at night.

billmich

Post by billmich » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:29 pm

jry wrote:He's right, Bill.... If tuned into the antenna properly and with good processing, AMS is fantastic.
Ours sounded good.
I am a firm believer in AM stereo. I still tune into CFCO on my Denon TU-680NAB; at one time there were about 9-10 AM stereo stations day time in my part of metro Detroit.

560/630/760/990/1050/1070/1130/1340 (maybe)/1370/1600 - not to mention all the 1-A and 1-B clears at night
Jon, what station was yours in stereo (1390?)

I am not wild about are statements,while true, that sound like press releases instead of passion.

Especially in an election year ;)

HugeEGO

Post by HugeEGO » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:32 pm

audiophile wrote:I think at sunset AM bandwidth should be reduced to 5 kHz, and also ban IBOC at night.

It doesn't make sense to be modulating to the center of the next channel at night.
Why would any station owner want to reduce the quality of product they provide to their local audience just to satisfy DXers and distant stations that don't contribute anything to their own market?

It makes no sense to EVER de-value your product. Listen to a good AM stereo station, then tell them to cut bandwidth in half and see what a foolish statement that is. Gee, maybe we should have our country's FM's all cut power at night to save electricity, too, since power generation in the next few years is such a buzz-phrase. Makes just about as much sense.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:09 am

You missed my points. Unless you live a few miles from the transmitter you are are a defacto DX'er at night on every AM. You are hearing distant AMs, ruining the audio quality even in the 'narrow' mode.

Many AM's already broadcast at 5 kHz because of IBOC. The terrible 'splitting' from adjacent AM's would be eliminated at night - you would be dealing with co-channel interference only in 'narrow' mode. I would require IBOC be turned off at night too.

Most automotive receivers are around 3 kHz because they are trying to reduce adjacent interference - but it doesn't work because the many broadcast to 10 kHz which goes to carrier causing the 'spitting' sound even with the 3 kHz filters. With 5 kHz at night AM receiver manufacturers would compelled to make receivers with at least 5 kHz response, not 3 kHz.

I have plenty of AM construction experience, I own wideband receivers but I never use wideband at night - only daytime. I think those with filters installed could increase nighttime power in certain instances.

A compromise would be to allow 6.5 kHz audio at night, but the automotive receiver manufacturers would have no reason to improve their narrow bandwidth as they would with 5 kHz audio at night.

Many FM's are already doing what you mentioned. Some even sign off.

jry

Post by jry » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:51 pm

[quote="billmich"][quote="jry"]He's right, Bill.... If tuned into the antenna properly and with good processing, AMS is fantastic.
Ours sounded good.[/quote]

I am a firm believer in AM stereo. I still tune into CFCO on my Denon TU-680NAB; at one time there were about 9-10 AM stereo stations day time in my part of metro Detroit.

560/630/760/990/1050/1070/1130/1340 (maybe)/1370/1600 - not to mention all the 1-A and 1-B clears at night

I am not wild about are statements,while true, that sound like press releases instead of passion.

Especially in an election year ;)[/quote]

1390 Holt, 600 Flint, 1250 Lexington, KY and 1050, Cincinnati are all still AMS capable.
Audio is right. We've been brick walling some of our AMs at 5 and 7.5 K. There aren't many receivers that can barely appreciate this much bandwidth. It's something that i had run in to with what was then Clear Channel back in the late 90s. We were working on an agreement to improve coverage and reduce chatter between 610 (WTVN) and 600. Then, as well all know, everyone using IBOC started limiting their bandwidth to 5K. The apparent loudness goes right through the roof when you do this.

billmich

Post by billmich » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:13 pm

jry wrote:
billmich wrote:
jry wrote:He's right, Bill.... If tuned into the antenna properly and with good processing, AMS is fantastic.
Ours sounded good.

Especially in an election year ;)
1390 Holt, 600 Flint, 1250 Lexington, KY and 1050, Cincinnati are all still AMS capable.
Audio is right. We've been brick walling some of our AMs at 5 and 7.5 K. There aren't many receivers that can barely appreciate this much bandwidth. It's something that i had run in to with what was then Clear Channel back in the late 90s. We were working on an agreement to improve coverage and reduce chatter between 610 (WTVN) and 600. Then, as well all know, everyone using IBOC started limiting their bandwidth to 5K. The apparent loudness goes right through the roof when you do this.
I always think of 1390 as "Charlotte" ;)

and I agree 100% with audio as well

jry

Post by jry » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:48 pm

I'll shut down the Day site and combine everything to the night site, just as soon as i can. Who knows, maybe with the FCC rolling back the AM rules.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic