All new acct registrations in the queue as of 6/16 at 8:10a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Windows 10 - Your Thoughts?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Calvert DeForest

Windows 10 - Your Thoughts?

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:29 am

Anyone here upgraded to Windows 10 yet? I upgraded about a month ago, and as yet, have experienced no serious issues with it (other than the software vendors need to catch up, but they're coming along). What do you think?

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

TC Talks

Re: Windows 10 - Your Thoughts?

Post by TC Talks » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:04 am

What's the point? Everything is in the cloud now. I've had people who are unable to access their back end for many online softwares using 10.

Google for Work
WordPress
Drupal
Java and Ruby apps

What software is actually needed on a pc anymore? If you can't run it on an iPad or Android, it's not going to be adopted by the masses...
Tablet computers, or simply tablets, became a significant OS market share category starting with Apple's iPad. There have been 250 million iPads sold as of January 2015,[21] compared to 174 million Android and 5 million Microsoft Windows-based tablets, with others systems under half a million as of March 2014.[22] In first quarter 2015, smaller Android vendors mostly made up for the H*** sales drop of the biggest vendors, Samsung (an Android vendor) and Apple.[23]

According to Strategy Analytics, "In 2015 Android will continue its domination of the global Tablet market",[24] while the dominating sales volume of Android tablets may not show up in web browsing statistics with different usage patterns of some of the lower-cost devices such as if you "stick it next to your bed and use it as an alarm clock with widgets for weather, stocks, etc."[25] Some tablet web usage may also not be reflected in statistics when "desktop" versions of web pages are requested.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s ... ng_systems

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:05 am

I upgraded both a laptop and desk top. Both were running Windows 7 home edition.
No complaints from me. For what I do I hardly can tell a difference.
I have a 2-3 year old Epson wireless printer (a $70 cheapo) that didn't like the change but I just had to upgrade software over the Internet. It took 5-10 minutes and all is good.

jry

Post by jry » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:25 pm

We really like it. I did two at the same time. My Surface Pro upgraded in a snap and my wifes laptop wasn't too far behind.

I like what i see. Pretty enjoyable.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:12 pm

I've read about a half dozen "tech geek" publication articles regarding 10 this summer. Also watched a couple video previews of the new OS.

Clearly, it is a FAR better product than the trainwreck known as Windows 8.

That being said - the vast majority of people aren't going to go out of their way to upgrade or update their OS. I had my previous desktop PC for close to eight years before I ditched it. Microsoft's announcement that XP would no longer be supported is what finally got me off my butt to purchase a new one. Knowing what a clusterf*ck Windows 8 turned out to be, I made sure my new machine came with 7.

I have 8 on my laptop and absolutely hate it!!! However, I am in no hurry to switch to 10. I want to make sure all the kinks are worked out first. I also want to make sure the apps I use for work are Windows 10 compatible.

Microsoft did the right thing here by offering upgrades to 10 for free; Windows 8 was an unmitigated disaster.

I am going to continue to use 7 on my desktop PC unless I absolutely fall in love with 10 upon installing it on my laptop.

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:11 am

Here's the thing... Apple offers upgrades on the OS free. I think Microsoft will continue to be pressured to abandon their pay model if they want to keep most non-enterprise users. I had a client just drop his P.O.S. software for 44 locations (several hundred thousand dollars in fees annually) because the company only was compatible with the Windows environment. They opted for a platform that include iPads.

My wife asked me to uninstall Word from her Mac last week, because Office Libre is easier to use. It's free.

When faced with a $199 price tag or free, the next generation seems ready to adopt to the free model.

Surface falls below Symbian in marketshare... I forgot the existed (who else had a psion?)

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomb=1

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

kager

Post by kager » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:45 am

I've worked with WX since the early Insider Preview (beta) days, and have found it to be a collection of compromises and catch-ups by Microsoft in their attempt to correct the wrongs foisted upon us by Win 8 and revive PC sales. Unfortunately, free or not, I'm not sure there's enough there that's fully baked to actually compel someone to upgrade. Even though released 07.29.15 and fairly stable (10240 build), there are some aspects of the OS that just don't feel finished.

Sure, there's a Start Menu now in WX, but it doesn't work like the Start Menu in W7 & earlier, and if the lack of Start in Win8 is your biggest gripe, that could have been taken care of by 3rd party apps.

You can try WX easy enough as a virtual machine in programs like VirtualBox, or even install it as a part of the free upgrade program (after appropriate backups) on your existing W7-8.1 setup and roll back to your previous OS within 30 days if you don't like it.

Unfortunately, much at Microsoft has changed in the last year, to the degree that my trust in the company has dwindled (yes, I used to have some). There are many (possibly unfounded) concerns about privacy in WX and just what MS is doing (such as embedded & targeted ads) to make up for the loss in licensing revenue due to a 'free' upgrade OS. Updates & patches to the OS used to be accompanied by documentation - now, it would seem with WX that patches are released as mandatory, irregularly, and with the highly technical explanation that it 'fixes issues with Windows'. Hooray, but those of us supporting this stuff need more than this - patches go wrong frequently in the World Of Windows, and we need more than "Problem: Broke - Solution: Fixed it" as an explanation.

Then, there's this:

As you may have heard, MS has been preloading WX bits without user knowledge or consent on W7-81 PCs that have Automatic Updates turned on (shame!), consuming 3-10GB of storage and potentially eating up your quota on metered internet connections in the name of a 'better upgrade experience'. A dumbfounded Woody Leonard explains what's going on, and how you may wish to deal with it:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/298377 ... 81-pc.html

I will say that the act of upgrading a PC to WX has been simplified, data and existing mainstream apps migrate pretty well, and the process has been fairly pain- & error-free on the upgrades I've performed thus far. Still, once you arrive at your final installation destination, some elements of the OS just don't seem finished, and there are some programs that just refuse to install (actually, in my experience, the OS blocks the install with a cryptic 'this program doesn't work with this version of Wndows' message).

Still, I recommend trying it if you live in the Windows world. I have several PCs and VMs using the OS so that I may support it. I am waiting on using WX as my primary Windows OS myself, though, until I am forced to do so, or I feel there's a compelling reason to do so. Not there yet.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:01 am

I guess if one's computing experience is limited to e-mail and browsing, the operating system doesn't mean a lot and can be experimented with similar to moving furniture around in the living room or painting walls.

However, if one is using industry-provided software to control equipment, program / modify systems, or the like, he is entirely more driven by what the software will work on rather than upgrading for experimentation.

I'm having enough trouble getting everything I need to work with running on 64 bit W7 after 'upgrading' from 32. I did it for (allegedly) better speed due to 64 bit being able to utilize more RAM......turns out, not noticeably so after all the accommodations are made.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

jry

Post by jry » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:09 pm

My upgrades (one from 7 and the other from 8.1) were free.

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:43 pm

I bought a used laptop off ebay and it had Windows 10 installed, so I quickly downgraded to a pirated copy of Windows 7 and I am happy. The privacy issues with Windows 10 are a bit too much...

https://i.imgur.com/zPF2k89.png

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:38 pm

SaveFerris wrote:I bought a used laptop off ebay and it had Windows 10 installed, so I quickly downgraded to a pirated copy of Windows 7 and I am happy. The privacy issues with Windows 10 are a bit too much...
there are no real privacy issues other than default settings you can turn off easily.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:50 am

craig11152 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:I bought a used laptop off ebay and it had Windows 10 installed, so I quickly downgraded to a pirated copy of Windows 7 and I am happy. The privacy issues with Windows 10 are a bit too much...
there are no real privacy issues other than default settings you can turn off easily.
Perhaps it boils down to a matter of trust. The tactics being used by this new regime at MS to foist WX on computers whether people want it or not is sickening...

http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... ctics.html

Users are paying in some manner for a 'free' upgrade ...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:55 am

you should just use Apple products since they do all the thinking for you.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:31 am

I found your posts very insightful, Kager. Thank you for taking the time to share that information.

Indeed - the barrage of pop-up ads on my Windows 7 machine were nothing short of irritating.

Notice I used the past tense above. Why, you ask? My Windows 7 machine - which I just purchased in early 2014 - died on me!!! More specifically, the hard drive died on me. Did a factory reinstall of the OS. Worked for about an hour, then the machine died on me again. During the brief time the machine was working, ran a virus check. Came back clean. Ran diagnostics three different times (it's a Dell PC), and each time, the results came back with the same dreaded error code (hard drive failure). Tried to do a system recovery two more times but both failed. Of course, the manufacturer warranty expired last June.

I will likely just buy a new PC if the repair costs for my old one are too great. Believe it or not, there are still Windows 7 machines out there. Using my laptop as my primary computer *is* a thought that's crossed my mind, however.

Moral of the story - do not buy a Dell PC. They are garbage!!!! Mine wasn't exactly the cheap model, either. It was mid-range price wise and had an Intel i5 quad-core processor with a 1 TB hard drive.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:46 am

This is very troubling:
The difference was crucial, in that sans a way to view all updates, users could only proceed with the Windows 10 upgrade. Refusing to do so meant that no other updates, including recent security patches, could be installed. That left those users on the horns of a dilemma: Either start the Windows 10 upgrade process -- perhaps without the knowledge that it could be canceled -- or leave the machine vulnerable to attack.
Microsoft is a pathetic company. I hope they go out of business someday.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:24 am

Pathetic or not..... it is what we have as an option.

Once people start offering other usable, viable options, then that may become "pathetic" too ;)

If i knew how to build an OS.....i might just do that. :)

Image>>RayQix<<Image

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:I found your posts very insightful, Kager. Thank you for taking the time to share that information.

Indeed - the barrage of pop-up ads on my Windows 7 machine were nothing short of irritating.

Notice I used the past tense above. Why, you ask? My Windows 7 machine - which I just purchased in early 2014 - died on me!!! More specifically, the hard drive died on me. Did a factory reinstall of the OS. Worked for about an hour, then the machine died on me again. During the brief time the machine was working, ran a virus check. Came back clean. Ran diagnostics three different times (it's a Dell PC), and each time, the results came back with the same dreaded error code (hard drive failure). Tried to do a system recovery two more times but both failed. Of course, the manufacturer warranty expired last June.

I will likely just buy a new PC if the repair costs for my old one are too great. Believe it or not, there are still Windows 7 machines out there. Using my laptop as my primary computer *is* a thought that's crossed my mind, however.

Moral of the story - do not buy a Dell PC. They are garbage!!!! Mine wasn't exactly the cheap model, either. It was mid-range price wise and had an Intel i5 quad-core processor with a 1 TB hard drive.
This has really nothing to to do with Dell's quality. I don't know anyone that has great luck with large mechanical hard drives (Some say WD Black is ok). Seems like after a few years they become flaky and if you are lucky they just become super slow and you know it's time to replace before any data loss. Buy a Crucial SSD drive and reload your OS on that. Lightning fast and immune to accidental dropping. Dropping kills mechanical hard drives if it's still spinning which happens on laptops a lot.

I have many 10 year old drives that still work fine. They are all 40 GB Seagates. The new mechanical stuff for consumer markets is junk - go Crucial SSD!

There is technically nothing wrong with XP for home use. The earth did not crack as many predicted, the OS still works fine, with an alternate decent browser (Firefox) and a hardware firewall you should be fine. Also get rid of Adobe products as they have too many holes (IE PDF Reader...use Foxit instead). Do not install unproven software either. Less is more.

For the brave you can get updates for a flavor of XP until 2019.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

kager

Post by kager » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Continuing to run XP is not something I'd recommend for 99% of the general population, but for those who completely understand the risks and measures required to protect it, it still can serve a purpose. Very niche. An XP VM fired up only when required by apps that cannot be updated and just won't run on a newer OS may be a better solution than running the OS 24/7.

Other the other hand, Microsoft is upping the 'pushy' in its quest for Windows 10 world domination (to now include business PCs connected to a domain! as a 'Recommended Update') and continues to do so using rather bizarre means & messaging:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/302889 ... ws-10.html

The most effective tool to keep WX from being foist upon you if you have made a conscious decision not to upgrade has been the GWX Control Panel (mentioned & linked to in the article above), though it's effectiveness may be lessened by this latest batch of MSBS...

jry

Post by jry » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:00 pm

It's gotten buggy again on my Surface... I'm going to call while it is still under warranty.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:05 pm

Audiophile made a great point earlier; I cannot stand Adobe products!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic