All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Radio Suggestions

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
jry

Radio Suggestions

Post by jry » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:37 pm

Man... I am ticked. My Sangean digital AM FM portable stereo radio with RDS smoked at the cottage, the other day. It started acting up, then went nuts. Wouldn't stop arbitrarily tuning in stations and setting up the alarm.
I need to replace it, but i don't want something with as much crap to go wrong (auto tune, etc). I just want a good stereo radio with great AM reception, that can put out good volume. Any suggestions?

audiophile

Re: Radio Suggestions

Post by audiophile » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

jry

Post by jry » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:43 pm

I saw that brand, Audio. Who are they? Will this thing fail on me like the Sangean? I have 2 other really pricy Sangean products and the tuner on one is really sketchy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:50 pm

I was kicking around the idea of getting the Sangean LB 1 or the TB 1, and I still might, But in reading all the reviews I've been pretty impressed with the Sangean U 3.

It's intended as a rugged outdoor radio, but it seems to be a pretty decent, all round radio. If it's simplicity you want, you can't beat analog tuning by a 5:1 vernier dial with back light. Universal Radio has it for $89.95

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ ... /0579.html

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2SAM0RM8K8X8M

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:34 pm

The Tecsuns are usually not known for good sound. The newer Sangean PR-D15 is essentially an upgrade to the PR-D5. It is said to have better FM reception and retains the AM performance of the PR-D5. For good stereo sound your looking at either using headphones or external speakers. radiojayallen.com has some reviews that are quite detailed.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:54 am

CCrane has always been a good place to get quality radios. I've had a couple of their shortwave receivers, and have never been disappointed. Even got one of their internet receivers for free courtesy of Dave Graveline. I sent an e-mail question into his tech show once, and lo & behold, the thing showed up in my mailbox a week later. I knew Dave was sending anyone who submitted a first-time question he used on-air a free gift, but I was expecting maybe a pair of earbuds or a thumb drive. Quite a pleasant surprise to get a $150 internet radio!

Other than that, the GE (now RCA) Superadio is the tried and true standard. Radio Shack (if you can find one) sells them for $50....maybe a little less if they're on sale.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

jry

Post by jry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:04 pm

I usually check C Crane first. I have a few of their products. Currently there aren't any good two speaker solutions on their site.
They sell a lot of rebadged Sangeans...

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:31 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171961660922

I own the similar RF-1188, the only difference being that mine has shortwave instead of PSB.

The AM and FM sections on this radio are the best you will find in this size of radio, including being more sensitive than the Superradios or the infamous RF-2200. Sound is very good too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic