I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Where's the AM/FM Radio in my new car?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
SolarMax

Where's the AM/FM Radio in my new car?

Post by SolarMax » Wed May 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Paid product placements, or just lousy user interface?
RAINNEWS: Where is the AM/FM radio in my new car?

TC Talks

Re: Where's the AM/FM Radio in my new car?

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Stitcher? No one use that... At least bluetooth is standard now.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Neckbeard

Post by Neckbeard » Wed May 28, 2014 10:32 pm

One word comes to mind: DUH!

Two things are likely going to happen: Every region will have 2-3 channels dedicated to regional news, politics and sports. Second, the need for traditional delivery modes will largely disappear. I stream Pandora/Spotify almost the entire time I am in the car nowadays, so does my wife, and we don't even have one of these interfaces, we have the old school radio. Just pop in earbuds and use the cell phone data. There really is no real need for local music stations. Digital solutions add more value.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu May 29, 2014 6:11 am

No wonder the AC doesn't work :blink

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:29 pm

GM's MyLink (and Chrysler's equivalent) are so much better than MyFord Touch that it isn't even funny!

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Just give me a basic am/fm radio CD radio anyday over this touch screen stuff.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:37 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:GM's MyLink (and Chrysler's equivalent) are so much better than MyFord Touch that it isn't even funny!
Ford takes hit for My Touch...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... s/3304413/

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri May 29, 2015 2:27 pm

It would be a lot easier if the newer cars had a "stand-alone" radio instead of having the entertainment integrated with the electronics that raises and lowers the windows and engine and transmission management ! If I wanted an aftermarket radio in my F-150 pickup, I would be stumped as to where to connect it to speakers etc.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:27 pm

I referred to the Cadillac version (called CUE) as "That silly thing that talks to you in the car".

We asked it to help us find gas.....and it asked us if we wanted to go to White Castle.

Image>>RayQix<<Image

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:18 pm

We asked it to help us find gas.....and it asked us if we wanted to go to White Castle.
:rollin

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:38 am

SolarMax wrote:Paid product placements, or just lousy user interface?
RAINNEWS: Where is the AM/FM radio in my new car?
The article is so-so.....the author blows his own horn a little too much, but most of the comments to the article, shown below it, are spot on. I like this one:

Or maybe AM/FM, with it’s limited music choice and 16 minutes of commercials, is exactly where it belongs. For a 50+ listener where can I listen to Adult Standards, Classic Country or Smooth Jazz? I want Pandora right up front. If I’m 17, where’s my EDM, Electronica,Hip Hop stations with no interruptions? Pandora. If i want to listen to the 4 sports stations, 2 top 40’s , or the 2 AC’s with screaming car ads every 5 minutes, then maybe I’ll go to page 2. AM/FM lost the desktop, the cellphone and soon, the last bastion- the car. As far the research, why do we believe radio research done by radio research companies for radio people? Think there’s any bias there?

and this one:

GM is simply responding to consumer demand. Commercial radio may be mad that they aren’t on the first screen. The answer is simple: build a better product that consumer demand ahead of Pandora or a USB interface for their music player/phone. Make something consumers want badly enough to easily access it, and you’ll be on the first screen.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:52 pm

Well, i bought a new Chevrolet Traverse.....

....and i have AM/FM/XM....for "broadcast" radio.

NO HD..... which i was surprised at.

I like the vehicle otherwise....and it's not really that annoying but i would've liked HD.

Image>>RayQix<<Image

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:44 pm

RayQix wrote:Well, i bought a new Chevrolet Traverse.....

....and i have AM/FM/XM....for "broadcast" radio.

NO HD..... which i was surprised at.

I like the vehicle otherwise....and it's not really that annoying but i would've liked HD.

They are STILL not putting HD in them?

I have a top end 2012 GM product, and it has no HD; figured I just missed it by a year.

I'll wager that it's Ibiquity holding them up for equipment royalties.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

SoupySez

Post by SoupySez » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:27 pm

I have a 2015 Ford Escape with My Ford Touch and so far, haven't had any trouble with it. Of course, I rarely They play a lot of good oldies, maybe near as much as 60's on 6 from Sirius/XM. On Sirius, it's usually the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's on their respective channels and the NHL channel. I know there's a lot of other good ones, but those I like the best. Only real trouble I've had with the My Ford Touch is if I get or make a phone call through the Sync, when the call ends, sometimes the radio doesn't automatically come back on, just silence. I usually just turn it off and back on and it's fine. But since I have to take the car in for a couple of recalls and service soon, I'll tell them about it.

Also received a couple of recall notices on it. One has to do with the ignition. If you shut it off, whether it's the key or push button, it might not shut off. So far, no problems there. The latest one is for the instrument cluster and lights. Start it up and some might not be working and you won't know if the airbags are working, or low tire pressure, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic