Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 3-19-2018 at 7:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating newly registered accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Does anyone carry a pager anymore? As recently as four years ago, before I retired, I still had to contact some people through their pager. I expect that by now, they may be going the way of the eight track tape player.

Ed Joseph

Re: Pagers

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 pm

You're probably right. I'd guess the only people who still have to have pagers are on-call types, as a backup to their cell phone.
I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post by SaveFerris » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 am

People who are on call like say doctors, tech staff, etc have them.

Post by jry » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Ferris is right. Hospitals still use them. Some have their own closed circuit systems.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:37 am

SaveFerris wrote:People who are on call like say doctors, tech staff, etc have them.
Interesting topic....I hear the 'trendiness' of the "cell" in the words, and the implication that this suddenly beloved item, regarded my many as the ultimate pinnacle of technology, has somehow surpassed viable, robust, well-designed emergency communications systems.

I was requested to address the matter of a hospital staff tending to use their own mobile telephones for hospital business communications rather than the issued pagers, since the uninformed staff assumed their beloved "cell" was better. Here's what I wrote:

Everyone loves their 'cell'; it is their be-all and end-all of technology....most think it talks to satellites, and the only things it can't do are things that no one has yet thought of writing an app for.

However, despite the multiple references to "HIPPA", the handy program that can make or break any medical argument regardless of the position, there is something FAR more important:

The cellular infrastructure is haphazard, fragmented, constructed in vastly different ways by varying carriers, and is simply NOT a defined life-safety system. Very, very few cellular base stations have back up power for more than a couple of hours of run time, and 1 in 20 has a generator. Backhaul routes from the sites to the cellular MTSOs are least-cost, non-redundant, and very easily disrupted.

It does, and often has, completely collapse under heavy system load, or in the event of natural disaster. I point to the Boston Marathon, any sports or entertainment venue, earthquakes (even minor ones)....essentially when everyone reaches for the beloved "cell".

I can imagine the problems at the hospital when Nurse Jones' battery dies, her service is cut off for a missed payment, a data line to a distant cellular base station is interrupted, or she decided to upgrade and change numbers without efficiently notifying the hospital world.

Cellular infrastructure is fine for this message, two teenagers planning to cut class, or planning lunch with a friend. But, for my upcoming surgery, when I need a pint of blood, I don't want it to depend on Nurse Jones knowing Dr. Brown's personal mobile number, both accounts being paid up to date, remote and unrelated equipment being in good shape, and the system working.

Regardless of the 'trendiness' of the 'cell', calls for the removal of healthcare-agency engineered, controlled, and operated life-safety communications systems are specious, and downright dangerous.

I'll trade you all your HIPPAs for a reliable hospital comms system.

Post by k8jd » Fri May 29, 2015 2:49 pm

I carried a text pager through most of my service career, Information on the nature of the call , custoner info and times dispatched were stored until we completed the work and then we could delete it. This was available 24 hours a day if we were on 24 hour weekend call. The pagers were small and lightweight. The company cell phone was only used to contact the Shop manager and customer and let them know we were on the way, and get any updated info about the problems.
Since I was involved with public safety and hospital work the pager proved to be the most relible means of mission critical service response communication.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Fri May 29, 2015 6:23 pm

My wife is an IT whiz. She and her team share a pager; she carries it six or eight weeks a year. Yes, it can go off in the middle of the night. It's even occasionally about a problem she can help with.
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 29, 2015 10:12 pm

So I guess this answers the question I had asked so long ago I almost forgot. Do people still use pagers? I'm glad the answer was yes. Now I don't feel so outdated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic