All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Channel 2 in the morning

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
In The Bleachers

Channel 2 in the morning

Post by In The Bleachers » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:30 pm

Running an over the air antenna here.
For about the last two weeks 2.1 thru 2.4 are completely dead from the time I get up, to maybe 8 or 9 in the morning.
Then all 4 are good and strong until I go to bed. It's happens every morning.
I can't say if it comes back at the same time every morning, I'm not sitting on the channel waiting.

Anyone ever heard of some sort of RF interference that would do such a thing? I can't think of anything in the house doing it.
Like something is swamping the signal, just in the morning.

Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Channel 2 in the morning

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm

The likely culprit is tropo activity. Distant stations that broadcast on the same frequency (television RF channel 7) are making it difficult for your TV to decode WJBK's signal. The reason is because your TV is picking up not only digitally transmitted video & audio data from not only WJBK but also from one or more out-of-market stations.

The most likely culprit is WOOD-TV out of Grand Rapids.

DX-ers in Metro Detroit have been reporting successfully picking up stations from as far away as SE Wisconsin and N. Indiana over the past several days.

Last week, I was picking up a pretty clear signal in my driveway from B93 in Grand Rapids (93.7 FM). Over the weekend, around 1:30 in the afternoon, I was able to pick up a fuzzy but listenable signal from tiny WQGR, near Mentor, OH (halfway between Cleveland and the PA border).

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

mtburb

Re: Channel 2 in the morning

Post by mtburb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm also experiencing extended periods where WJBK just suddenly becomes receivable, including today. I'm also noticing the same thing on both WDIV and WXYZ within the past few days.

Agreeing with the above comment that this is likely tropo. This is especially so since I've been able to again pick up WTOL, WKYC and WEWS.

For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic