All new acct registrations in the queue as of 7/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Sync 3 v3.0 upgrade issues, a/k/a Ford's tech people are MORONS!!!

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Sync 3 v3.0 upgrade issues, a/k/a Ford's tech people are MORONS!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:01 pm

I love how the morons at Ford push out a software package to upgrade from Sync 3 version 2.x to Sync 3 version 3.0 with apparently zero awareness to the fact many Ford 2016 Sync 3 modules lack sufficient cache space to be able to run the update!!!

From what I've read, calling Ford's tech support hotline results in ZERO answers. They'll accuse you of using a USB flash drive with insufficient capacity or improper formatting.

The truth of the matter is this - the memory module in non-navigation 2016 Sync 3 vehicles lacks sufficient room to be able to store the full update in the cache & run the install in one fell swoop. This is why for so many Ford owners - myself included - the update never downloaded to my car automatically over WiFi.

Unfortunately, if you attempt the download & install the update exactly as presented and instructed on Ford's lame web site, the exact same problem occurs. You will receive the dreaded "MEM_ERR03" message.

Simply by partitioning the update file into two parts, the above problem can be 100% resolved.

Because Ford's own people (and/or vendor) are either too fucking lazy or too fucking stupid to properly address the matter themselves, fortunately, some enterprising software programmers have created their own workaround.

That workaround simply requires downloading, unzipping and transferring to a flash drive the files that are downloadable from the following location:
http://media.4rev4.com/wp-content/uploa ... 03-Fix.zip

You will still need to download the standard update file package from the Ford Owner web site. Those files will need to be saved to a SEPARATE flash drive (do NOT use the same flash drive as above).

Once you've done that, plug flash drive #1 into your infotainment console while your car's engine is running. In my case, after about three minutes, the install of the above files was complete.

Next, plug in flash drive #2 containing the Sync 3 update file you downloaded from http://owner.ford.com. Instead of doing a one-part install, the install (thanks to the files installed from flash drive #1) will now automatically be divided into two parts. In my case, part #1 took about 10 minutes and part #2 took less than 5 minutes. Of note - you do not necessarily need to remove the flash drive once part 1 of the install is complete. You can leave it in the slot. After 2 minutes or so, part 2 of the install process should automatically launch.

I followed the above procedure earlier this afternoon - and it worked like an absolute charm!!!

After three failed install attempts conducted at various times since March of this year - the approach as described above worked perfectly on the very first try!

You might be wondering - is the upgrade "worth it" ? YOU BET it is!

I can now use Waze and the Sirius XM app via Android Auto! :)

Sync 3 version 2.x did not support either app within the Android Auto environment. The Sirius XM app in the Android Auto environment is pretty sweet!!! You can easily access your recently listened, favorite and custom channels with damn near CD quality audio. And, of course, you can also access the internet-only SXM channels that are unavailable from the bird. The only thing that is missing - and it's a biggie - is the ability to directly access SXM channels by channel number. I seldom channel surf on SXM outside of my favorite channels, so the lack of such a feature is no big deal to me.

Also, in Sync 3 version 3.0, the heated steering wheel on/off button now appears on the Home screen. :) No longer will you need to fumble through the climate control screen to access it.

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

ZenithCKLW

Re: Sync 3 v3.0 upgrade issues, a/k/a Ford's tech people are MORONS!!!

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:03 pm

I just sold my Ford this week. One of the things that annoyed me so much about the car, making me sell it 3 years earlier than I planned, was Sync. What a disaster.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:03 am

Out of curiosity - which version of Sync did your car have?

Was it the dreadful MyFordTouch (Sync 2.0) ?

MF Touch sucked so bad because it had zero app support!!! In many ways, it was a downgrade from the original Sync. Don't get me wrong, MF Touch (at least for me) always worked as intended, it just simply lacked features.

The auto manufacturer with the best infotainment system, at least based on the last time I did exhaustive research on the topic (i.e. a couple years ago), was Chrysler - Jeep. Too bad their infotainment system couldn't be combined with a car maker whose manufacturing standards are stronger.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:45 am

I rent lots of cars.. how they work while driving is most important to me. I want handsfree, music control and maps to be easy.

Hyundai has the absolute best to navigate and will replicate my map from my phone.

Toyota doesn't lend for lots of features, but is very easy to navigate, just phone and music work (map audio).

Chrysler is pretty good, can't recall any issues.

GM and Ford are overly complicated and I never really used them.

Subaru is almost dangerous, as it turns on the steering control features at random and the Android auto controls are the opposite of intuitve.
Last edited by TC Talks on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:04 am

I think it was Sync 2, but I'm not positive. It was a 2014 Fusion with the basic Sync. It would randomly switch inputs, pairing devices was a bitch. It wouldn't read any other devices except my own phone. Eventually Bluetooth stopped working all together. The system wouldn't remember what Source it was on after turning the car back on. Sometimes, intermittently, I'd voice command it, and it was as if it didn't hear me, and would say things like "you can say USB, Bluetooth audio, line in..." and I'd just find myself screaming at it.

Nothing was easy to use while driving, and I'd get lost in the menus, because there was no intuition with the menu. Is moving across a menu categories navigated with up/down or left/right? Or were menu options up/down or left/right? Who knows? It was just endless scrolling. I'd press Back while searching for what I needed, and it would take me back to the beginning.

It was as if the technology was there,but it was so poorly programmed by a kindergartener, making it feel like such a waste. I work in IT, so I'm pretty capable and comfortable with technology, but this was a total mess.

My new car has Car Play now and a properly functioning user interface 😁 Volkswagen if you're curious.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:45 am

Maps, music and easy functionality are at the top of my "must have" list.

In terms of the makes that TC Talks mentioned, I'd be curious to know which of those have Apple Car Play and/or Android Auto compatibility.

Ford's Sync technology will not directly replicate the map I have on the phone, but if I use Android Auto via Sync...voila! Any map I have open on my phone in either Google Maps or Waze will immediately appear in-dash. (Just need to plug my phone into a USB port first.)

With mobile data plans being reasonably priced on a per GB basis these days, I see no reason to ever spend extra $$$ for built-in nav. My daily commute is pretty straightforward and I use less than 2 GB of data per month probably 95% of the time. I use Google Maps and now Waze via Android Auto for any navigation needs. No $1,500 to $2,000 nav module required! :)

Based on model year, I agree that you likely had Sync 2, Zenith. The first build of Sync 2 was riddled with issues. The updated version of Sync 2 was much better (just severely lacking in features).

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:57 pm

I want a car, not a computer on wheels. 1 dial for heat/cold, 1 dial for where I want the heat cold to blow to, and 1 dial for how strong I want that air to move. A simple radio. An ignition, turn signal, wiper control, and headlight switch.

All I want on my dashboard.

billmich

Post by billmich » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:06 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:57 pm
I want a car, not a computer on wheels. 1 dial for heat/cold, 1 dial for where I want the heat cold to blow to, and 1 dial for how strong I want that air to move. A simple radio. An ignition, turn signal, wiper control, and headlight switch.

I desire much much more than that...and so do most people

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:57 pm
. It sounds like what you need is a car from 1973. It matches your politics.

I have found the strip down version of Hyundai and Toyota do the best job of just providing a basic car with a radio and heater. Even the basic General Motors cars are filled with novelty distractions. I have cars from various ages and I'm waiting for one that has both leather seats and butt warmers matched with a fairly simple dashboard system. You find these all over Europe.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:53 pm

I currently drive a 2001 Chevy Blazer and it is simple enough for my liking.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic