All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/16 at 8:15p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Problems with hearing podcasts on my Android phone

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
high fidelity

Problems with hearing podcasts on my Android phone

Post by high fidelity » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:07 pm

I go to a podcast website with my browser and start playing a podcast. It will play fine for a few minutes, then it pauses. In order to get it to play again, I need to hit the home key on my phone and swipe the screen with my finger to "wake it up". Then it will start up again, play for a few minutes, then the same process needs to be repeated. It is a Samsung Galaxy J7 prime phone. I contacted Samsung tech support. They had me clear my cache which got rid of all bookmarks but did not fix the problem. They said I might need to do a factory reset. I am wondering if there are other options. Note: if I go to the You Tube app, it will play indefinitely, without pausing. But, a podcast played through Google Play will pause after a few minutes. Any suggestions?

Plate Cap

Re: Problems with hearing podcasts on my Android phone

Post by Plate Cap » Tue May 01, 2018 8:21 am

DON'T DO A FACTORY RESET.

That is the 'cure all' that they conveniently recommend for anything that is a little harder than normal to diagnose. I hear it all the time, and those recommending it don't have to deal with the collateral damage of customizing everything back the way you like it. Essentially, they are knocking down the house because of one squeaky hinge in a kitchen cabinet.

I think you have a setting for 'sleep' set up.....mine have done it in the past, but I don't recall exactly what I did. I would look at sleep and battery save functions.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Tue May 01, 2018 7:44 pm

OK, thanks. I was hesitant to do a factory reset. The people at Samsung had me look into the battery settings, but those were set how they should be.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 am

My suggestion would be to install a "podcatcher" app. Mobile browsers aren't optimal when it comes to multimedia content such as podcasts. One reason is because playback will immediately stop as soon as the browser is closed or the screen is put to sleep. Most browsers will only remain active when the screen is lit and assume they're not being used if it isn't. A podcast-specific app can be set to ignore screen status and play in the background.

There are a number of podcatching apps on Google Play, some of which are free or have additional features that can be unlocked for a one-time cost (usually less than $5). My personal favorite is Podcast Addict. It has a search feature that scrapes the iTunes directory and the option to stream episodes or download them to the phone for offline listening. Podcast Republic, DoggCatcher, Pocket Casts and Castbox are some other apps with various features like automatic updates, downloads and cleanup. You may have to play with a few before you find the app that works best for you. Good luck!

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks, I installed Podcast Addict, Stitcher and the NPR app, so I use those for podcasts.

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 am
My suggestion would be to install a "podcatcher" app. Mobile browsers aren't optimal when it comes to multimedia content such as podcasts. One reason is because playback will immediately stop as soon as the browser is closed or the screen is put to sleep. Most browsers will only remain active when the screen is lit and assume they're not being used if it isn't. A podcast-specific app can be set to ignore screen status and play in the background.

There are a number of podcatching apps on Google Play, some of which are free or have additional features that can be unlocked for a one-time cost (usually less than $5). My personal favorite is Podcast Addict. It has a search feature that scrapes the iTunes directory and the option to stream episodes or download them to the phone for offline listening. Podcast Republic, DoggCatcher, Pocket Casts and Castbox are some other apps with various features like automatic updates, downloads and cleanup. You may have to play with a few before you find the app that works best for you. Good luck!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic