Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

HP Chromebook

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

HP Chromebook

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Bought a new Chromebook and didn't really understand what I was buying. Seems that it's just a device for connecting to and navigating the Internet. Can't be used without an Internet connection, as a stand alone computer for word processing etc.

I wonder if the store will let me return it.

bmw

Re: HP Chromebook

Post by bmw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 am

I repair, rebuild, and sell computers for a living, and I am NOT a fan of Chromebooks. The Chromebook was Google's way of infiltrating public schools. They barely have a 1% market share in the desktop/laptop market in the general population, yet they have nearly 60% market share within public school systems. Schools go that route because of cost, but in the end they're a very crippled machine.

That rant aside, depending on where you bought it, assuming you bought it new and from a department store and kept your receipt, I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to return it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Bought it new at Target. But I was too clever for my own good. I used the Target credit card, to get the automatic 5 percent discount and then immediately paid it right off.

So, if I return it now, I'll end up with a credit on my account that I'll probably never use.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Buy a radio.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:21 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:06 pm
Buy a radio.

From Target? :barf

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 pm

If you can't return it, then put a real OS on it.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-l ... -509039343
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:59 pm

That goes way beyond my abilities. I could never do that.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Returned it to the store today. Just as I thought, they wouldn't give me a cash refund. Only a credit on my Target account. The credit would have been useless to me. I'd have never used it. So I exchanged the device for an HP Stream Notebook. I'm on it right now and it seems pretty good. Except it has the touch pad, but no right click or left click keys. I don't know how to do simple operations like select, copy or paste without them. Does anyone know the answer?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 pm

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 am

The trackpad on the HP Stream still has the right and left-click buttons, they're just embedded into the trackpad itself. If you push down on the bottom corners of the trackpad, you should feel it "click."

Personally I hate trackpads like this and don't understand why manufacturers abandoned traditional buttons below the trackpad, but that seems to be a fad that took over once Windows 8 came out.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:34 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 am
The trackpad on the HP Stream still has the right and left-click buttons, they're just embedded into the trackpad itself. If you push down on the bottom corners of the trackpad, you should feel it "click."

Personally I hate trackpads like this and don't understand why manufacturers abandoned traditional buttons below the trackpad, but that seems to be a fad that took over once Windows 8 came out.

I made that discovery after I made my initial posting. I'm in a location where I don't have ready access to Internet. I have to go to McD or somewhere that has free wi fi.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:48 am

I am a big fan of Chromebooks. I use one as a second PC exclusively for browsing the web. I really don't use any PC applications anymore except for Visual Studio and SQL Server. I use a separate machine for that. I don't even need to install Microsoft Office anymore.

Windows can be particularly frustrating in how it updates. It seems like every time I need to shut down in a hurry or do a quick check on the web, Windows Update tells me that I have to be patient and wait. You won't see that in a Chromebook. It reliably boots up every time in 10 seconds. Shut down is the same.

It's just nice to have a machine that you can turn on, do your business on the web, and turn off with no overhead. I have no patience for long boot up times and frequent software updates.

Windows just seems like overkill if all you are going to use it for is a web browser, checking email or perhaps edit a document in Google Docs. That is literally all my parents do on a computer. A Chromebook is perfect for them.

They would often fall victim to web sites trying to install malware on their PC. A message would pop up instructing them to push some button, and of course, they would do it. Chromebooks are immune to that sort of trickery, unless you put them in developer mode. Giving them a Chromebook sure made my life easier because I no longer have to fix the malware they pick up.

Also, it just seems like Windows PCs bog down after a while, even if you don't install anything additional on them. They seem so snappy when you first get them but then the multitude of updates seems to grind things to a halt. I haven't seen this yet with any Chromebooks. They seem to continue to be just as snappy as when they were new.

Chromebooks are not for everybody, but if like me, you find that just about everything you do is in a web browser, then they are a reliable, easy to maintain solution. No virus and malware fixing. No obtrusive software updates. No long boot-up times. They just do what they are supposed to do very effectively.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:00 am

My XP machine boots in ten seconds with its SSD, and of course, there is no updates to wait for. Actually there is a hack to keep getting XP POS updates until 2019.

I haven't a virus in 8 or 9 years - and those came as a result of Adobe products.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic