Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 7-16-2017 at 6:00p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Good smartphone deals

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Good smartphone deals

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:18 pm

For those willing to purchase last year's (still very good) technology, Best Buy has a great deal on Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phones. I picked one up recently and absolutely love it. Some tech / cell phone geeks describe it as "the best phone ever" prior to this year.

Until a few weeks ago, the cheapest I price I had seen for a "locked" phone was $18.99 per month (for two years) for Verizon service.

Within the last several days, that price has now been reduced to an outstanding $12.99 per month!

Given the fact the unlocked version of this phone still sells for about $600.00 through some retailers, the $12.99 per month price for Verizon subscribers is outstanding.

Those who (for whatever reason) prefer Sprint can also get this phone at that price.

My prior phone was a Galaxy S4 purchased over four years ago. Best Buy actually paid me $41 for it as a trade-in. Online sources said I'd be lucky to get $15 or $20.

I really have nothing against the iPhone; it, too, is an incredible product. However, Android plays more nicely with Ford's Sync 3 system than iOS, which is the only reason I decided to stay with the Samsung Galaxy line.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

Plate Cap

Re: Good smartphone deals

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 pm

+1 on the G7 edge. Best phone I've ever owned, and I started in 1976 with a 50 lb box in the trunk, giant control head under the dash, and had to have the engine running when in use
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Best phone I've ever owned, and I started in 1976 with a 50 lb box in the trunk, giant control head under the dash, and had to have the engine running when in use
That's a cool story!!! Would love to see a pic of that thing.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 pm
Best phone I've ever owned, and I started in 1976 with a 50 lb box in the trunk, giant control head under the dash, and had to have the engine running when in use
That's a cool story!!! Would love to see a pic of that thing.
Sure!

Go here: http://www.wb6nvh.com/MTSfiles/Carphone5.htm

Scroll down to the bottom....."1968 UHF Introduced". That is the control head I had (the FACTS head), and the green radio (affectionately referred to as "the Green Weenie" by radio techs).

I have a pickup truck from that era still, and the control head is still in it. Like an IDIOT I discarded the radio unit. Could kick myself. Anyone have a Motorola TLD1414 they'd like to sell cheap, any condition? :rollin
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:22 pm

I might have one. I was stealing output transistors from it.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks, Plate Cap! I was expecting something more exotic looking. The control head looks like a cross between an old computer hard drive and an 8-track player. :)

What was the purpose of the car key contraption?

Is that William F. Buckley, Jr. pictured using the Motorola MK phone? Sure looks like him.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Can't speak for WF Buckley, but you are right.

The key was for simply turning the phone on and off. Airtime was expensive (in 76 it was 25 to 35 cents per minute or any part thereof), and if you left the car at the shop, you took the key with you because the concept of a phone in a car was inconceivable to most. That works out to $1 to $1.50 today.....a lot of dough.

I would occasionally call someone when in the neighborhood unexpectedly, and ask if it was ok to drop by. I would show up 5 minutes later and the party would be simply baffled.

Things has changed a lot in 35 years.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:34 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:22 pm
Is the carcass still viable looking from the outside?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:34 am
audiophile wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:22 pm
Is the carcass still viable looking from the outside?
I think so...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:21 am

See your PM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic