Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WSB Atlanta

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Turkeytop

WSB Atlanta

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:43 pm

WSB on clear channel 750 is no longer identifying as WSB 750. Both, on the air and on their web site they don't even mention their AM frequency. They are now calling them selves WSB 95.5.

https://www.wsbradio.com/

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14990

Re: WSB Atlanta

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:59 am

My guess is, 750 will go sports. Possibly even get sold off.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:12 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:43 pm
WSB on clear channel 750 is no longer identifying as WSB 750. Both, on the air and on their web site they don't even mention their AM frequency. They are now calling them selves WSB 95.5.

To better cover the city, simulcast WSBB-FM recently moved from Flowery Branch to the Atlanta tower that is shared by WABE-FM, WVEE-FM, and sister station WSB-FM (B98.5).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:30 pm

750 will stay as-is and when AM radio becomes widely unavailable in newer cars, they'll basically sell the station for scrap value. That's my prediction.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:30 pm
750 will stay as-is and when AM radio becomes widely unavailable in newer cars, they'll basically sell the station for scrap value. That's my prediction.
Do you really believe AM radio in cars is going out? I'm not asking that as a challenge to you. It's just the first time I've ever heard that prediction from anyone. If it happens, I won't like it.
I listen to AM a lot and not just in the car.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:14 am

I wouldn't be surprised if WSB eventually gets sold off. They may have dropped mentioning the AM frequency because the station could be repurposed.

Interesting fact about WSB. The soil conductivity is abysmal in the Atlanta area. Despite a tall tower, a low frequency, and 50,000 watts, its coverage (in square miles) is comparable to that of WDTK.

It's worth more for its skywave signal (comparable to WJR's skywave signal).

I've always wondered if a group of Class I stations could be assembled into a Hispanic superstation, perhaps using WSB, WLS and WABC (all, of course, would change call letters) (WJR could substitute for WLS, which would put all three in a row, but at the loss of Midwest coverage).
Many Hispanics move about the USA with the seasons, migrating around the country as they travel, and at night, the trio would cover the whole USA East of the Mississippi and a little more west of it.
In the Midwestern states, they could rent time on smaller AM stations that cover a wide area effectively, since high soil conductivity gives these little stations wide coverage.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:24 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Do you really believe AM radio in cars is going out? I'm not asking that as a challenge to you. It's just the first time I've ever heard that prediction from anyone. If it happens, I won't like it.
I believe it is, slowly but surely. In the Hyundai Elantra I just bought the AM radio is virtually useless when driving because they don't care enough anymore about it to shield it from the engine noise interference. When the engine is off it sounds fine, but who really listens to a car radio when they're not driving? And look at the amount of cars that don't have CD players anymore too. They figure people are listening to either SiriusXM, something on their phone via Bluetooth, or at worst FM.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:01 am

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:24 am
Turkeytop wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
I believe it is, slowly but surely. In the Hyundai Elantra I just bought the AM radio is virtually useless when driving because they don't care enough anymore about it to shield it from the engine noise interference. When the engine is off it sounds fine, but who really listens to a car radio when they're not driving? And look at the amount of cars that don't have CD players anymore too. They figure people are listening to either SiriusXM, something on their phone via Bluetooth, or at worst FM.
My 2003 Buick that I bought brand new was plagued with engine noise from the day I got it. There was nothing wrong with the radio. The engine was radiating noise. My wife always knew when I was coming down the street because her TV would break up.

GM refused to fix the problem. I knew someone else who had the very same vehicle. Theirs was OK.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 pm

I quit listening to WSB after Neal Boortz retired. I used to regularly listen to his "re-Boortz" on the AM signal which used to regularly come in very well at night here in Michigan.

As to the ID - is this even allowed by FCC rules? You no longer have to ID your frequency?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:51 am

Frequency has never been part of the FCC's mandatory ID requirements for as long as I've been following broadcasting (20+ years).

Cox will keep AM 750 probably as-is. Same strategy as WBBM AM & WCFS FM in Chicago.

Once AM radio is truly on death's doorstep (it's getting closer day by day), they'll probably sell AM 750 to an agenda driven broadcaster, foreign language broadcaster, or religious broadcaster who doesn't care about ratings only potential reach.

Yes, groundwave reception of AM 750 stinks. It's wonderful in the Metro Atlanta area, but once you get an hour northwest of town on I-75, reception is shoddy. By the time you get to the TN border, the station is completely gone.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:02 am

Internet streaming is no more like real radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Wait a sec.... I thought it was WSBB 95.5. Did they lose the extra B and replace 98's calls too?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:03 pm
Wait a sec.... I thought it was WSBB 95.5. Did they lose the extra B and replace 98's calls too?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Ok, so B98.5 is still there as WSB-FM. WSBB 95.5 is still as it was. Kinda deceptive dropping the extra B, outside of the Legal ID's.

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:30 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:24 am
Turkeytop wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
I'd take that Hyundai back to the dealer and tell them to fix the problem! You are not getting the full value of your radio,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic